G&R Tactical
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Armalite DEF10

Feedback Score
    My DEF10 is what it's supposed to be. A fairly light, good handling .308 AR.

You mentioned "hunting, shtf, and target". Your probably not going to get that from one gun. What makes the DEF10 a nice-handling rifle is the light-profile barrel. It's not a premium target barrel, but it will perform your other tasks just fine.

Of course, you can always get a different barrel.

Mine is a 1.75-2.0 moa rifle with factory quality ammo when cold. ( 5 shots) It's more like 2.5-3.0 after the first magazine. Add another moa for m80-type machine gun ammo. Note that I'm no great rifle-man and my barrel isn't free-floated. I just rest it on a sand bag and shoot from a bench when I want to see what it can do. (I hate bench shooting...so boring)

I got mine thinking sort of like you. I like the rifle but think of the DEF10 (or other light-barreled .308 AR) as a 16 inch M4 mid-length gas carbine clone in .308. Expect similar accuracy.

The different length magpul magazines give this rifle extra utility. If it's on guard-duty you may as well have a 25 rnd magazine in it. But for target practice get a couple ten round magazines for it. They really keep the rifle lighter and handier vs the big 25 rounder. They also make a 5 rnd mag for hunting.

I only have two rifles these days. The Ar10 / DEF10 and a Beretta ARX100. If I could just choose which I like more I'd sell one and buy another of the other so I could just have two of the same thing. But I find it hard to part with either.
    Last edited by Ron3; 09-10-18 at 23:42.

Feedback Score
    I have a older Armalite, I have forgotten the model designation, but it takes the older metal mags. Mine has a 16" SS Barrel, flattop, A2 buttstock. I like it better than my Aero build, which I am also fond of. The Armalite was my first and I bought it as at the time....2009 M1A SOCOMs were scarce and I wanted something easier to get out of the Ranger I had then. Mine of course was made in Genesco facility in gun loving Illinois. I do have a dozen 20 round, two 25 round, two 10 round and one five round metal magazines.

I also have a double lapped AR-15 upper from Armalite and it is still my go to rifle even with the round plastic furniture. I have nothing but good to say about Armalite.

Feedback Score
    So far my Armalite Def 10 has been a blast to play with, 3 shot groups with decent ammo run from 1.5 to 2 inches at 100yds. Cheap crap ammo runs 4 to 5 inches and so far the D&H 20 rd mags are the ones I like best.

Feedback Score
    86 (100%)
    Are you guys posting pics of your DEF10’s in the beyond 5.56 thread? I wouldn’t mind send some of these rifles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks."

- Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    I have an older Armalite AR10 which takes their proprietary magazines. I really like it. Saturday I saw a post on gun.deals showing that you could buy a PSA PA10 18" mid length upper half for $300 delivered (rear sight not included) and a PSA PA10 lower half for $180. I search around on their website and actually found one that has green magpul furniture for the same $180. When all is said and done, I'll have a PSA PA10 for $480+$28(tax)+$25(transfer)=$533, though I still need to purchase a Magpul rear sight. The upper half showed up today and it looks great. Hopefully, it will shoot good as well. At $533 for an AR10 type rifle, it won't have to be perfect to still be a good deal. We'll see...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12