Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Armalite DEF10

Feedback Score
    My DEF10 is what it's supposed to be. A fairly light, good handling .308 AR.

You mentioned "hunting, shtf, and target". Your probably not going to get that from one gun. What makes the DEF10 a nice-handling rifle is the light-profile barrel. It's not a premium target barrel, but it will perform your other tasks just fine.

Of course, you can always get a different barrel.

Mine is a 1.75-2.0 moa rifle with factory quality ammo when cold. ( 5 shots) It's more like 2.5-3.0 after the first magazine. Add another moa for m80-type machine gun ammo. Note that I'm no great rifle-man and my barrel isn't free-floated. I just rest it on a sand bag and shoot from a bench when I want to see what it can do. (I hate bench shooting...so boring)

I got mine thinking sort of like you. I like the rifle but think of the DEF10 (or other light-barreled .308 AR) as a 16 inch M4 mid-length gas carbine clone in .308. Expect similar accuracy.

The different length magpul magazines give this rifle extra utility. If it's on guard-duty you may as well have a 25 rnd magazine in it. But for target practice get a couple ten round magazines for it. They really keep the rifle lighter and handier vs the big 25 rounder. They also make a 5 rnd mag for hunting.

I only have two rifles these days. The Ar10 / DEF10 and a Beretta ARX100. If I could just choose which I like more I'd sell one and buy another of the other so I could just have two of the same thing. But I find it hard to part with either.
    Last edited by Ron3; 09-10-18 at 22:42.

Feedback Score
    I have a older Armalite, I have forgotten the model designation, but it takes the older metal mags. Mine has a 16" SS Barrel, flattop, A2 buttstock. I like it better than my Aero build, which I am also fond of. The Armalite was my first and I bought it as at the time....2009 M1A SOCOMs were scarce and I wanted something easier to get out of the Ranger I had then. Mine of course was made in Genesco facility in gun loving Illinois. I do have a dozen 20 round, two 25 round, two 10 round and one five round metal magazines.

I also have a double lapped AR-15 upper from Armalite and it is still my go to rifle even with the round plastic furniture. I have nothing but good to say about Armalite.

Feedback Score
    So far my Armalite Def 10 has been a blast to play with, 3 shot groups with decent ammo run from 1.5 to 2 inches at 100yds. Cheap crap ammo runs 4 to 5 inches and so far the D&H 20 rd mags are the ones I like best.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Are you guys posting pics of your DEF10’s in the beyond 5.56 thread? I wouldn’t mind send some of these rifles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    I have an older Armalite AR10 which takes their proprietary magazines. I really like it. Saturday I saw a post on gun.deals showing that you could buy a PSA PA10 18" mid length upper half for $300 delivered (rear sight not included) and a PSA PA10 lower half for $180. I search around on their website and actually found one that has green magpul furniture for the same $180. When all is said and done, I'll have a PSA PA10 for $480+$28(tax)+$25(transfer)=$533, though I still need to purchase a Magpul rear sight. The upper half showed up today and it looks great. Hopefully, it will shoot good as well. At $533 for an AR10 type rifle, it won't have to be perfect to still be a good deal. We'll see...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12