Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Armalite DEF10

Feedback Score

Armalite DEF10

For those of you that have looked or handled a new Armalite DEF10, hows the fit and finish look to you? Armalite used to be a great rifle but after they were sold I wonder if they are still a good choice for the guy with a $1500 limit.

Feedback Score
    You can find these for 1k or less usually and they are probably one of the better, if not best values for the cheaper ar10s.

Feedback Score
    Been trying to decide between a Windham SCR, a Savage Hunter , APF and a Armalite DEF 10, Just trying to get the best value I can for my money. The biggest problem is most of these guns don't have a long track record and honest info is hard to get when you minus out the fan boy responses.

Feedback Score
    Yea it can be tough choosing. I would say the Def10 would be the best out of those options. Alex pro I wouldn't even consider. Not enough history or feedback on the company. Haven't heard much on the Savage but it would probably be ok. Some say the M&P 10 is solid for the price.

I would also look into Aero Precision and PSA. I have heard good things about the Aero ar10 and if you buy the upper and lower separate you should be around 1k. They have good fit/finish generally and use Ballistic advantage barrels which are gtg and accurate.

PSA would be a value choice and some on here are not high on them but I have seen some threads on the PSA industry forum on TOS that is making me consider one. Even if you replace the barrel you are still under 1k. PSA customer service and QA/QC had really improved recently. I wouldn't consider them for serious use but for hunting and the range I would. The stainless barrels in the PSA10 platform have been shown to be more accurate than the nitride.

What is the purpose of the rifle? That may help guide you as well
    Last edited by everready73; 09-04-18 at 08:57.

Feedback Score
    Hunting, Target and TSHTF duty, The big problem is MONEY (What's new!) looking for a solid working gun that does what it is supposed to do and that's work. Read a thread that Armalite fit on uppers and lowers was a little sloppy and quality wasn't what it was a few years back.

Feedback Score
    For doesn't affect function unless it is extremely sloppy. It is nice to have a tight fit but not necessary for function or accuracy.

Given your needs the DEF 10 is probably the best choice in your price range. If you have any stores that stock them nearby you can check for fit and finish and pick the best one. If not it is a little more of a game to just order one, but like I said if it has a few scratches or is not super tight the gun should still function perfectly fine if no other issues. That is what matters anyways

Feedback Score
    I called Armalite this afternoon and talked to a very nice gal, was left less then impressed trying to get answers so just gave up and went back to the internet. Been drifting back and forth between Windham and Armalite and so far I have more questions then answers.

Feedback Score
    Out of the box DEF-10 has one of the best receiver sets, arguably the best (308) bolt carrier group, and a decent barrel. There are many upgrade paths from mild to wild. Swap a few parts and you'll have a solid rifle. Understand what parts are proprietary and upgradable or not upgradeable before investing in a large frame platform.

Feedback Score
    About the only upgrade that I would like is a 20 inch barrel, don't need or want the blast of shorter tubes.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by everready73 View Post
    Yea it can be tough choosing. I would say the Def10 would be the best out of those options. Alex pro I wouldn't even consider. Not enough history or feedback on the company. Haven't heard much on the Savage but it would probably be ok. Some say the M&P 10 is solid for the price.

I would also look into Aero Precision and PSA. I have heard good things about the Aero ar10 and if you buy the upper and lower separate you should be around 1k. They have good fit/finish generally and use Ballistic advantage barrels which are gtg and accurate.

PSA would be a value choice and some on here are not high on them but I have seen some threads on the PSA industry forum on TOS that is making me consider one. Even if you replace the barrel you are still under 1k. PSA customer service and QA/QC had really improved recently. I wouldn't consider them for serious use but for hunting and the range I would. The stainless barrels in the PSA10 platform have been shown to be more accurate than the nitride.
    I would second the opinion on Aero. Although I didn’t buy a completed rifle, I bought their receiver set, 416R SS Ballistic Advantage barrel and BCG. It was a very accurate build, .4 MOA @ 250. For me I thought the DPMS pattern gave me a more options and was less manufacturer proprietary than Armalite.
    Price wise I had $472 in the upper and lower receiver. Used the E&E to fill the gap on trigger, stock, and bipod. I’ve built a lot of AR’s using Aero receivers, and not one single time have I had to consider a return due to specs or finish. I realize the OP isn’t interested in building, but the parts are the same (-) trigger, stock, and rail. LPK came from Aero as well. I haven’t gone the PSA route, mainly, because I always feel I’m getting value for my $$ with Aero. Their QC/CS was questionable at one time, but sounds like they’ve taken steps to improve in that A.O.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast