Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: For those of you running home defense ARs do you use hollow point 5.56/.223?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    I chrono’d a 10.5” barrel pistol with 64 gr GD.
    Was right at 2300 FPS.
    This bullet/ammo is supposed to expand at 1800 FPS as designed.
    I see no problem here, particularly for “home defense”.
    I think the Mk 262 has similar characteristics... The 10.5s also provide plenty of velocity for them to frag. Both are great rounds. I only shy away from 64s because nothing else we shoot really matches their bullet flight.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I was never impressed by the precision of Mk318 or TBBC, though I suppose it would be fine for home defense.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ok.. the OP's post says "for those of your running ARs for home defense, do you use hollowpoints?" I took that to mean "should I be using hollowpoints or just load up with 55 grain range ammo and call it good?" Maybe I'm reading too much into that.

OP, what kind of AR pistol are you using? Maybe that will help the experts recommend a load for you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Guys if you’re going to use 193 or 855, at least do it with the understanding that their terminal ballistics are pretty shitty compared to many other rounds. 193 has proven performance of sucking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's inconsistant, yes. I consider .223 to be weak compared to other rifle rounds. But, it's better than pistol bullets.

Any self-defense use is going to be a burst of fire. More chances for the random m193 bullets to do good work.

Consistent feeding into the chamber is what I like most about m193.

For in-house-must-drop-invaders-with-one trigger pull I believe buckshot or an expanding .308 bullet would work better. Or a machine gun.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    It's inconsistant, yes. I consider .223 to be weak compared to other rifle rounds. But, it's better than pistol bullets.

Any self-defense use is going to be a burst of fire. More chances for the random m193 bullets to do good work.

For in-house-must-drop-invaders-with-one trigger pull I believe buckshot or an expanding .308 bullet would work better. Or a machine gun.
    I think it's a mistake to assume you are going to get multiple hits on a possibly moving target, likely in low light, or behind cover and trying to not get shot.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 09-28-18 at 13:30.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    I think it's a mistake to assume you are going to get multiple hits on a possibly moving target, likely in low light, or behind cover and trying to not get shot.
    I don't assume much of anything when it comes to HD.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I don't assume much of anything when it comes to HD.
    Then why not choose the most effective ammo you can afford?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Im cheap, I buy just about any ammo on sale. With the exception of Independence 223 55gr fmj I've never had an issue with consistent feeding of any type of ammo. Feed, fire, eject...blah...blah...blah... All my ARs are used Colts surplused from police departments. Nothing was ever done to them except for cleaning.

There's belief and there are facts.

If you think 223 is weak you should go check out the hog hunting topic.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Arik; 09-28-18 at 19:19.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Then why not choose the most effective ammo you can afford?
    I've got better ammo. I'm concerned it won't feed in my rifle when I need it to the most.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post

If you think 223 is weak you should go check out the hog hunting topic.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Compared to buckshot at close range and .308 it's weak.

Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast