Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: For those of you running home defense ARs do you use hollow point 5.56/.223?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

For those of you running home defense ARs do you use hollow point 5.56/.223?

I am looking at ammo choices for my AR Pistol that I keep at home for defense us and I wonder what you guys keep loaded and how you came to the decision. Also any links to affordable ammo for training and defense would be appreciated since I've been mostly a 9mm/.45 guy until switching platforms.

Feedback Score
    I use underwood controlled chaos.
    Here, check these out.
    https://youtu.be/_EtXnNF0W1U
    Last edited by Bravo Sierra; 09-04-18 at 17:33.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo Sierra View Post
    I use underwood controlled chaos.
    Here, check these out.
    https://youtu.be/_EtXnNF0W1U
    Isn't he one of the guys, along with the fake Col, who were called out for making companies pay money for reviews? IIRC, it started at $4k for a decent review.... and if you didn't pay up, the result may not be to your liking...

Anyone else remember this from a year or so ago?

Regarding ammo selection for HD, I would feel well protected with soft point or HP ammunition. I don't ever expect one round to stop a threat, but I am exceedingly aware of what multiple rounds on target does. If I can get high velocity ammunition to retain its destructive ability inside the body of the bad guy, I'm pretty happy. In a HD scenario, windshields and others barriers are highly unlikely. If you patrol a large area of property and are concerned about engagements, that is a slightly different thing to think about.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Never heard of this regarding the channel, but that is disappointing if true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Isn't he one of the guys, along with the fake Col, who were called out for making companies pay money for reviews? IIRC, it started at $4k for a decent review.... and if you didn't pay up, the result may not be to your liking...

Regarding ammo selection for HD, I would feel well protected with soft point or HP ammunition. I don't ever expect one round to stop a threat, but I am exceedingly aware of what multiple rounds on target does. If I can get high velocity ammunition to retain its destructive ability inside the body of the bad guy, I'm pretty happy. In a HD scenario, windshields and others barriers are highly unlikely. If you patrol a large area of property and are concerned about engagements, that is a slightly different thing to think about.
    Back to the thread. I keep a magazine of Mk318 in my gun and have a spare of MK318 and one of MK262 for reloads.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    If you're using a pistol or SBR or whatever, check out Corbon MPR 77gr or alternatively any load with the 77gr Sierra TMK.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I do have a can of hand loaded hollow points in my stash... 75 gr prvi bullets. But OTMs are primary for me. I like the fragging over expansion for home defense purposes. And I'm not entirely confident in the hollow point's expansion reliability.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post

Yep that is the guy. He denied it all and then someone go ahold of his price sheet.

This video actually shows shot of it.

https://youtu.be/uMSX75EwBFM?t=3m40s

Back to the Topic at hand though. I use the old standby. Hornady TAP. Although I believe they have changed their product lines recently.
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

For those of you running home defense ARs do you use hollow point 5.56/.223?

If you look in the ammunition subforum, there are a ton of posts on HD and training ammunition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wake27; 09-04-18 at 18:09.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Doc Roberts sticks to the other site nowadays:
    http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Sel...mozTocId803443

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ghengis Khan View Post
    Doc Roberts sticks to the other site nowadays:
    http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Sel...mozTocId803443
    This. Pick a round off the list, verify function and zero, stock up, practice and forget ammo choice.
    I use fusion - best bang for the buck for my uses.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast