Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: For those of you running home defense ARs do you use hollow point 5.56/.223?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    You realize the Gold Dot has literally one of smallest exposed lead soft point out of all the viable self defense soft points right?
    They're still flat-nosed. Need something more pointy. I'll get some 64 gr PSP's to try out.
    Unless there is a good poly-tip bullet heavier than the 50, 55, and 60 gr ones I've fired from this rifle. Those were all varmint bullets.
    Last edited by Ron3; 09-29-18 at 09:01.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I failed to test 64GD, but here’s a comparison of 855, Fusion MSR, and others.
    Rifle: 14.5” Noveske
    Optic: P4Xi
    Target: 2” dots at 60yds
    Conditions: crazy hot and humid

I'm going to start with GD 64(s) and 155(s) for the .308 and move on to some of the Hornady TAP rounds here at sea level with humidity.
    Ammo, 10rnds ea
    PR: mixed ammo, ignore; just getting the first group out of the way.
    P1: Precision One 62gr lead core 5.56 blems
    MSR: Fusion MSR 62gr
    855: M855, of course
    A1: M855A1
    I waited ~10 minutes between each group.

In case you can’t see the pic, here’s some rough estimations:

855 grouped about an inch to the right of Fusion MSR (zero’d load).

855A1 was about an inch right and half an inch low.

Precision One was about an inch low and half an inch right.

I’m not Molon or Stickman, and this was shot unsupported, sorry.

Thanks Brother for your hard work and attention to detail here. You did a great job.

As soon as we get over this Age of Aquarius weather here in Gulf Coast Texas I'll go out and conduct some tests here and see what happens.
    Never forget every word you spoke when you took your oath of office.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    The blunt nose of a gold dot gets damaged feeding in my ARX. Polymer tip and pointed lead soft points appear to be okay.

But I don't want a varmint bullet for obvious reasons.

I've only fired about ten rounds of 64 gr jsp's from it but they worked fine and I don't recall much damage to the nose after feeding.

I should probably get some of those for further testing.
    I would steer clear of polymer tips. Every now and then one can break and get into the locking lugs and you're well and truly screwed in the moment. Stick with non-tipped TSX, GMX, MK318, in my opinion. This is part of why I've gone GMX for my serious stuff.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    I would steer clear of polymer tips. Every now and then one can break and get into the locking lugs and you're well and truly screwed in the moment. Stick with non-tipped TSX, GMX, MK318, in my opinion. This is part of why I've gone GMX for my serious stuff.
    I always thought that could be a possibility but it's never happened to me and I've never seen anyone post about it happening. So I stopped thinking about it as an issue.

If it really has been an issue, then yea, that's unsat.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I always thought that could be a possibility but it's never happened to me and I've never seen anyone post about it happening. So I stopped thinking about it as an issue.

If it really has been an issue, then yea, that's unsat.
    Oh it happened to us with Nosler Accubonds. This was a hunting gun of Pappabear's. A bad batch of plastic inserts will shut down reliable feeding. Breaking off in the barrel extension and chamber.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Oh it happened to us with Nosler Accubonds. This was a hunting gun of Pappabear's. A bad batch of plastic inserts will shut down reliable feeding. Breaking off in the barrel extension and chamber.
    Well - this is new information to me. Interesting and food for thought. Thx for sharing.
    Politician's Prefer Unarmed Peasants

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingHunter View Post
    Well - this is new information to me. Interesting and food for thought. Thx for sharing.
    It came to me from a rather large company's military division. I had never contemplated it before, but considering the source, I adjusted my behaviors.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    It came to me from a rather large company's military division. I had never contemplated it before, but considering the source, I adjusted my behaviors.
    Was there a specific brand of polymer tipped ammo mentioned or just a blanket caution against using them? I like the 77gr TMK for longer range work since it has excellent external ballistics combined with good terminal ballistics.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 09-30-18 at 02:26.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Was there a specific brand of polymer tipped ammo mentioned or just a blanket caution against using them? I like the 77gr TMK for longer range work since it has excellent external ballistics combined with good terminal ballistics.
    It was mainly in .308, and i believe AMAX was mentioned.

Feedback Score
    It was mainly in .308, and i believe AMAX was mentioned.
    I have run well over 600 rds of Hornady 155gr AMAX PALMA Match (one of DocGKR recommended loads for .308) without issue in my LM8MWS Suppressed (modified gas).

This round in the 16" barrel is the most accurate I have found (MOA 10rd groups).

I have noticed no scuffing or tip damage when soft point, OTM, poly tip,.. etc are loaded and removed this rifle.

Issues with ANY non-FMJ ammo is feed geometry and bolt velocity dependent , and should be evaluated for each firearm used.

Thus to make a blanket statement about poly tip or any other non-FMJ projectile is folly.
    Last edited by Dr Dues; 09-30-18 at 07:25.

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast