Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: For those of you running home defense ARs do you use hollow point 5.56/.223?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    They're still flat-nosed. Need something more pointy. I'll get some 64 gr PSP's to try out.
    Unless there is a good poly-tip bullet heavier than the 50, 55, and 60 gr ones I've fired from this rifle. Those were all varmint bullets.
    Oops. I checked my supply. I got the Gold Dot's and 64 gr Winchester Rangers confused.

Yes, the Gold Dots have a very small meplat. Smaller than the Federal Tru. (I forgot I had those)

Next time I shoot the ARX I'll run 100 of the 64 gr Gold Dots through it. I haven't fired any from that rifle. The good news is I have about 200 of them.

It was the Ranger 64 gr JSP's that got damaged from feeding. I found two turned opposite of the others and they had damaged noses. (Big soft point) So I had obviously chambered those rounds then examined them. I think I only fired a box judging by how many I have left. They ran fine but the damaged nose made me think they could cause a stoppage.
    Last edited by Ron3; 10-02-18 at 22:52.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    IMI/BH 69 OTM, or Hornady 8126N. I'm not shooting through glass.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by morpheus562 View Post
    I'm running Speer 75gr gold dots in my 12.5" sbr.
    That load was made for short barrels. It’s devastating

Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    People just throwing out their favorite load probably didnt read that the OP wants to use it an AR pistol. 90% of things listed wont perform well if his AR pistol is under 10".
    Gold Dot will. Expands at extremely low velocities. Like 1500FPS.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeGolf View Post
    I was never impressed by the precision of Mk318 or TBBC, though I suppose it would be fine for home defense.
    MK318 Mod 1 is more accurate and has a little better BC. It is a silvery colored(nickel) bullet now.
    Hunter of Gunmen 8541

Feedback Score
    There was much trumpeting on favorite rounds in this thread, mostly indicating people had read Doc Roberts’ words at some point. Some posts attempted to answer OP’s question, which was difficult as I believe we never got much detail.

I have an 8” AR but have not tested some of these very sexy and very expensive rounds thru it. From my previous experience with ARs in the 10.5- 12.5” range, good ‘ol T2 TAP was the most accurate, followed by 64gr Gold Dot. For those, my thought process has been: terminal performance doesn’t mean squat if I miss. I would have preferred using those other expensive rounds, but they never gave me that warm and fuzzy feeling. BTW, I always thought factoring in cost for actual HD ammo stock to be a curious consideration.

From previous trials, I have 75gr. TAP SBR and BH 50gr. TSX left in sufficient quantities, so I would probably look to those as well for the 8” AR. After all these pages, I still have heard any consensus at that barrel length to want me to do much exploration.

Feedback Score
    At home defense/handgun distances, whatever runs 100% through your AR pistol's gonna work fine.

Anything you hit a baddie with from that is going to make him rethink his poor decisions he's made over his life

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I’m personally running the 55g GMX rounds out of a 11.5 bcm

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Anyone running or have info on how the Hornady 55gr. Critical Duty performs? I can't seem to find much on it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sundance435 View Post
    Anyone running or have info on how the Hornady 55gr. Critical Duty performs? I can't seem to find much on it.
    Good question. I’ve wondered the same thing about the same ammo for a while now.
    Never forget every word you spoke when you took your oath of office.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sundance435 View Post
    Dont bother, they should rename it Critical Failure Ammunition. 7" of penetration with the 55gr, 10" with the 73gr, the 12" FBI minimum exists for a reason.

Feedback Score
    I read the Doc Roberts list, looked at what was the most commonly available where I am and settled on Hornady's 68bthp bullet.

It is a hand load. 23.3 gns H322 lit by either a CCI 450 or a SB Small Rifle Primer. It is overmax listed but it shows no pressure signs in any of my ARs. All have 556 chambers. I get 2450-2500 fps out of that 10.5 barrel in temperatures around 20-40 degrees. Testing at 70 degrees still shows no pressure signs. Further, the H322 seems to run in the sweet spot for the barrel I have. The recoil/impulse is less than that of slower powders. I am assuming this might have to do with the pressure spike happening prior to the gas port resulting in a slower moving BCG??? There is very little muzzle flash at night.

I load up a 50 or so every other month or so. One mag in the rifle, one spare mag near. I pack the rest up in recycled cardboard ammo boxes and stash them away.

All training is done with 55gn fmj 223 loads. The point of aim/impact is not different enough to matter at 100 yards and in.
    Attachment 57121
    Last edited by TomPenguin5145; 05-03-19 at 18:23. Reason: Add Photo

Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast