Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: For those of you running home defense ARs do you use hollow point 5.56/.223?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Yup. Thousands of AR's riding in Patrol vehicles every day are loaded up with 55 gr Soft Points and "Ballistic Tip" JHP's.
    We were issued either 62 or 64 grain Gold Dot SP ammo to use in our M4(s). We were prohibited from using anything other than what was issued.
    Never forget every word you spoke when you took your oath of office.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Blackhills MK262 Mod 1 is what I run for my SD/HD ammo.

My back up ammo is Nosler 64 grain bonded .223 ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by cab11150904 View Post
    I am looking at ammo choices for my AR Pistol that I keep at home for defense us and I wonder what you guys keep loaded and how you came to the decision. Also any links to affordable ammo for training and defense would be appreciated since I've been mostly a 9mm/.45 guy until switching platforms.
    Last edited by davidjinks; 09-02-22 at 16:45.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I run a 10.3" barreled upper with an Eotech as my grab-and-go but I also keep a 14.5" for situations that require a bit more range. I've started stocking the Hornady Frontier 75gr BTHP 556 for HD/SD/SHTF but I've seen a lot of guys preach SP ammo out of shorter barrels for better terminal ballistics. I know Hornady also has a 62gr SP 556 in their Frontier line and i'm wondering if that might be something to keep in the 10.3".

Reading about test done with SP ammo, it seems to be more barrier blind than HP. In this thread I see a lot of guys talking about the 64gr Speer Gold Dot SP's. Any concern about having more over penetration inside a house running SP versus running HPBT?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Overpenetration with Gold Dots is not a serious concern, in my opinion. My mags have Fusion MSR.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    Reading about test done with SP ammo, it seems to be more barrier blind than HP. In this thread I see a lot of guys talking about the 64gr Speer Gold Dot SP's. Any concern about having more over penetration inside a house running SP versus running HPBT?
    Before I retired from my career with DHS-ICE we were being issued 62 and 64 grain Gold Dot Soft Point. They worked flawlessly in all operations and training in the Colt M4 with the 14.5” barrels and later some of the SBR(s) that we’re issued.
    Never forget every word you spoke when you took your oath of office.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Don't confuse bonded soft point with regular soft points.

It's better to classify barrier blind vs fragmenting designs. Barrier blind can be bonded soft point, solid copper hollow point, partition, and tipped versions of the above as well. They all expand with minimal to no fragmentation and this is what makes them good through a barrier.

Plain soft point bullets in 62gr and up have just decent penetration, outside of barriers. They do not do well against barriers.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    Don't confuse bonded soft point with regular soft points.

It's better to classify barrier blind vs fragmenting designs. Barrier blind can be bonded soft point, solid copper hollow point, partition, and tipped versions of the above as well. They all expand with minimal to no fragmentation and this is what makes them good through a barrier.

Plain soft point bullets in 62gr and up have just decent penetration, outside of barriers. They do not do well against barriers.
    So given the option for an in-the-house defense 10.3", regular soft points are probably a safer bet compared to a jacketed HP round.

Good to know! Guess i'll be ordering some SP rounds for my grab-n-go and leaving the 75gr BTHP for the 14.5"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Regular soft point, HP, non bonded tipped, and OTM are in the fragmenting category. The heavier 75gr and up OTM can often do reasonably well against barriers.

The barrier blind expanding category performs more consistently, with or without a barrier, and is my preference.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    Regular soft point, HP, non bonded tipped, and OTM are in the fragmenting category. The heavier 75gr and up OTM can often do reasonably well against barriers.

The barrier blind expanding category performs more consistently, with or without a barrier, and is my preference.
    Thanks.

I'm leaning towards 55 gr Gold Dot or (more so) Federal T223L 64 gr JSP for HD from my 16 inch rifle. I don't really want bullets doing too much penetrating out of concern for neighbors. I've got 64 gr Gold Dot but I'll use those for hog hunting because it looks like that could happen in Jan / Feb.

Right now it's loaded with Winchester 64 gr JSP RA223R2 Ranger but I have very little of it left and it's more expensive for some reason.

I haven't fired the 55 gr Gold Dot or Federal T223L from my rifle so, I may just get a couple hundred of each and see which shoots better for me.
    Last edited by Ron3; 12-22-19 at 13:14.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Thanks.

I'm leaning towards 55 gr Gold Dot or (more so) Federal T223L 64 gr JSP for HD from my 16 inch rifle. I don't really want bullets doing too much penetrating out of concern for neighbors. I've got 64 gr Gold Dot but I'll use those for hog hunting because it looks like that could happen in Jan / Feb.

Right now it's loaded with Winchester 64 gr JSP RA223R2 Ranger but I have very little of it left and it's more expensive for some reason.

I haven't fired the 55 gr Gold Dot or Federal T223L from my rifle so, I may just get a couple hundred of each and see which shoots better for me.
    People misconstrue this all the time. Barrier blind does not mean more penetration through walls, it just means it maintains its terminal performance after striking a barrier. Often times barrier blind SPs penetrate less interior walls than FMJ or OTM which tends to stay together but veers off unpredictably after striking a barrier.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 12-22-19 at 13:20.

Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast