Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: For those of you running home defense ARs do you use hollow point 5.56/.223?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    People misconstrue this all the time. Barrier blind does not mean more penetration through walls, it just means it maintains its terminal performance after striking a barrier. Often times barrier blind SPs penetrate less interior walls than FMJ or OTM which tends to stay together but veers off unpredictably after striking a barrier.
    Good post. I laugh when people say things like “I’m so worried about my neighbors.” Come on man.
    Hunter of Gunmen 8541

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    People misconstrue this all the time. Barrier blind does not mean more penetration through walls, it just means it maintains its terminal performance after striking a barrier. Often times barrier blind SPs penetrate less interior walls than FMJ or OTM which tends to stay together but veers off unpredictably after striking a barrier.
    That's just it.

I don't want it to maintain terminal performance after striking a barrier if I miss, don't connect well, or do connect well. I want the bullet to be less deadly after it passes the bad guy one way or the other.

I understand this means that if I need to shoot through a barrier to get the bad guy a "non-barrier blind" bullet will be "less dangerous" when it gets to him. I'm willing to give that performance up if it means less bullets leave the house.

What I'm comparing directly is Federal 64 gr JSP T223L and 55 gr Gold Dot.
    Last edited by Ron3; 12-22-19 at 14:05.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by indianalex01 View Post
    Good post. I laugh when people say things like “I’m so worried about my neighbors.” Come on man.
    Why is that funny? I like my neighbors.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    That's just it.

I don't want it to maintain terminal performance after striking a barrier if I miss, don't connect well, or do connect well. I want the bullet to be less deadly after it passes the bad guy one way or the other.

I understand this means that if I need to shoot through a barrier to get the bad guy a "non-barrier blind" bullet will be "less dangerous" when it gets to him. I'm willing to give that performance up if it means less bullets leave the house.

Sir, you seek the Grail of defense projectiles. One that turns to dust, POOF!, upon passing whatever range the bad guy is at, with zero retained kinetic energy on a miss, but liquifies a bad guy’s organs on a hit, coming neatly to rest 1” behind him on the floor. Enjoy the quest, but perfect is the enemy of good. Firearms are designed to project deadly force. If “over-penetration” is your greatest concern, buy an axe.
    Last edited by 1168; 12-22-19 at 14:32.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    That's just it.

Its basically a pipe dream to have a bullet that becomes less than lethal after going through 2 sheets of dry wall AND having sufficient penetration on a bad guy.

Feedback Score
    So, your telling me .223 will penetrate people and things as much as a 9mm if I choose something "more effective" than a ballistic tip bullet that likely won't penetrate "enough" bad guy to stop him.

Then why not just use a shotgun and #1 or #4 buckshot? Two to six inches of buckshot spread will be a superior, faster wound than one or a few .223 shots and poor sectional-density soft .30 or .24 caliber pellets won't penetrate as much stuff and walls as a "more effective" .223 load.

Feedback Score
    Why is that funny? I like my neighbors.
    Because no matter what 223 round you use it will be dangerous. Some of you are such keyboard commandos. Another guy just posted about Being concerned after the round exits the bad guy. Some of the dumb shit is astonishing.
    Last edited by indianalex01; 12-22-19 at 14:53.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by indianalex01 View Post
    Because no matter what 223 round you use it will be dangerous..
    Some more or less than others. Do you disagree with that?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    So, your telling me .223 will penetrate people and things as much as a 9mm if I choose something "more effective" than a ballistic tip bullet that likely won't penetrate "enough" bad guy to stop him.

Then why not just use a shotgun and #1 or #4 buckshot? Two to six inches of buckshot spread will be a superior, faster wound than one or a few .223 shots and poor sectional-density soft .30 or .24 caliber pellets won't penetrate as much stuff and walls as a "more effective" .223 load.
    No we're saying just pick a bonded SP which is highly unlikely to exit your house, it will however penetrate interior dry wall. Or get something like 77gr TMK which will penetrate one less interior wall than a bonded SP but not be barrier blind .

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Ron the best plan is this - don't miss the target.

Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast