Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: For those of you running home defense ARs do you use hollow point 5.56/.223?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    16” setup looks about the same... 55 and then 73 grain.

https://youtu.be/3aSAoNyMqCM

https://youtu.be/mXjLcKa6lJc

Nice thing was he did both rounds out of the 10.3” barrel.

https://youtu.be/o_y1kiEOhbw
    Ok, there's a lot wrong here.

First, the first video is for 55gr ftx.
    Second, clear ballistic get is not FBI calibrated ballistic gelatin.
    Third, you ignored two videos from Andrew at the chopping block, who used 16" and 10.5" barrels with fbi calibrated ballistic gelatin.
    Fourth, and most importantly, in every video test, in about every barrel length used, the round either failed the fbi requirements, or just ever so slightly passed by the skin of it's teeth.

You claimed "it shows very good results in shorter barrels" and yet every video posted and test I've read about since the round came out shows that it either doesn't perform or barely passes the minimum requirement.

It's not a good self defense round, but it's better than (and I'd happily use it in place of) foul language and throwing whatever object I can get my hands on within arm's reach.

ETA: I am not trying to personally attack you. I do not think you're a moron or some crap like that. I am just trying to inform you and anyone else reading about Hornady's 73gr Critical Duty that it's a poor performer at best. It's still a bullet and will still put a hole in shit, but it's not going to give you optimal terminal performance, and that's what you should be looking for in a dedicated self defense round that you're paying premium self defense round prices for.
    Last edited by ColtSeavers; 07-18-20 at 21:49.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rocsteady View Post
    Have yet to see a poor performance test, accuracy, feeding, terminal performance, etc with any length barrel with the Black Hills 50g TSX, now "optimized" with sealed case mouth and primer. HD mags are all loaded with these since I left the FBI Police unit and am no longer beholden to have the Bu issued rounds in my Colt. Been shooting the BH round for years, admittedly I don't use them for training so it's not thousands of rounds, but at least a few mags a year to ensure I'm hitting what I'm aiming at, and never had a failure of any sort.
    http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Sel...r%20Rounds.htm
    Holy wound-channel batman.... noted.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Call me OCD but I like to purchase a batch from the same lot # to reduce the chances of any zero shifts from the lot to lot variations.
    Pappabear and I shot next to one of the PHX area SWAT guys a few summers back. I could overhear them talking about this. "Can you guarantee a head shot with that lot # of ammo?", etc.

It seemed to me that they were shooting gobbs of different guns/ammo lots.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Pappabear and I shot next to one of the PHX area SWAT guys a few summers back. I could overhear them talking about this. "Can you guarantee a head shot with that lot # of ammo?", etc.

It seemed to me that they were shooting gobbs of different guns/ammo lots.
    I’ve always shot some from a new lot when I get some and if it’s not the same POA/POI as the old lot I just stockpile it till I have enough of the new lot to completely replace the old and re-zero. I think I’ve had to re-zero twice in ten years and even then it was within three clicks both times. Other people I’ve seen do the same had three to four MOA shifts and had to re-zero almost every time.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KiloSierra View Post
    I’ve always shot some from a new lot when I get some and if it’s not the same POA/POI as the old lot I just stockpile it till I have enough of the new lot to completely replace the old and re-zero. I think I’ve had to re-zero twice in ten years and even then it was within three clicks both times. Other people I’ve seen do the same had three to four MOA shifts and had to re-zero almost every time.
    I do this with new powder lots since almost everything we shoot is handloads. Velocity swings can be astonishing for the same kind of powder.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Federal 62gr, 5.56 NATO, Bonded Bear Claw Soft Nose, Barrier Blind, XM556SBCT3. Five shot averages:

16.1" Barrel Velocity 2921fps
    10.5" Barrel Velocity 2561fps

The typical house has lots of concealment, but, not much real cover. Particularly from a barrier blind projectile.
    Last edited by Grim.Patriot; 10-28-20 at 09:05.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim.Patriot View Post
    Federal 62gr, 5.56 NATO, Bonded Bear Claw Soft Nose, Barrier Blind, XM556SBCT2. Five shot averages:

The typical house has lots of concealment, but, not much real cover. Particularly from a barrier blind projectile.
    Those are very respectable velocities, this and the BH 50gr TSX are probably the top 2 defensive rifle rounds one can use.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim.Patriot View Post
    Federal 62gr, 5.56 NATO, Bonded Bear Claw Soft Nose, Barrier Blind, XM556SBCT2. Five shot averages:

Suppressed?
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Both LWRC piston guns. The 16.1 IC SPR was not suppressed. The 10.5” IC A5 has a Gemtech Trek-T suppressor on it.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtSeavers View Post
    I load 62gr Federal Fusion MSR, but would not feel undergunned in any way with my mk262. I like knowing that I can get fusion msr anywhere with no worries about some company or manufacturer wanting to play the 'this month anyone can buy it but next month only LEO can buy it' game.
    So, I'm here a little under 2 years later shopping for ammo. And I have and really like both of these.

I don't suppose anybody knows which GTG retailers have mk262 or Federal Fusion 62gr MSR available?

Things seem to have quickly changed. What I can get right now easily are IMI Razor Core 77gr (262 clone), Federal LE223T1 (55gr 223 TBBC), or Speer Gold Dot .223 62gr

Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast