Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: For those of you running home defense ARs do you use hollow point 5.56/.223?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I have a can of hand loaded ammo with the PRVI 75 gr bullet. It doesn't frag like an OTM, but (at least in my unofficial testing) it opens up like a hollow point bullet. I wish I could still get those bullets.
    Well the nose fragged pretty bad, but the core did some expansion. I doubt the core would survive in one piece after going through auto glass but 75gr Prvi as good as it gets until you want to start paying 77gr TMK prices.
    Forward Ascertainment Group

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Well the nose fragged pretty bad, but the core did some expansion. I doubt the core would survive in one piece after going through auto glass but 75gr Prvi as good as it gets until you want to start paying 77gr TMK prices.
    Yep. As long as they do something better than FMJ, I'm happy to have them as an ammo can stash load.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Just make sure you guys all use factory ammo so you don't get prosecuted for murder when your otherwise cut and dry self defense shooting is turned on its head because of the type of projectile you used...

...LOL What kind of idiots believe that?
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Just make sure you guys all use factory ammo so you don't get prosecuted for murder when your otherwise cut and dry self defense shooting is turned on its head because of the type of projectile you used...

The ones who are members of the British Parliament, or broadcast regularly on MSNBC.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigereye View Post
    77gr smk otm
    This is an old thread but this guy said it back in 2018. And many on here have agreed.
    That 77gr SMK OTM was made for target shooting and it is very good at that at long ranges.
    It's not bonded or anything, just a swaged bullet. But damn does it perform good in gel. And deer. And even hogs.
    It penetrates deep and expands very good. If you have a fast twist barrel it's a very effective round.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post

Ayoob has done as much damage to the self defender as he has good. He wants to make people so legally obsessed that they're afraid to do what needs to be done when it needs to be done.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    I'm still trying to figure out what is "wrong" with the military M193 I got as part of my first AR package.
    I keep hearing some people say to get something "better".

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty T View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out what is "wrong" with the military M193 I got as part of my first AR package.
    Dude - no joke.

Unless you have a barrel shorter than 10.3” and/or you’re expecting to shoot people beyond 75 yards and/or you’re needing to shoot through auto glass or other difficult barriers M193 will be 100% fine.

Feedback Score
    Nothing wrong at all with M193 for home defense. It is devastating by the way it frags. Because the bullet breaks apart, it doesn't penetrate as far as many other rounds talked about here. So if anyone is concerned about over penetration, like living in an apartment, this round will end and intruder, but maybe not go thru them and into the next apartment.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It could be better and more consistent.

Of course, it's not that there is anything "wrong" with it, it's not like we're comparing a 3.5" 9mm with 115gr round nose to HST exactly.

But...you can do better and more consistent than M193. Especially if, like most, you want a good all around 'self defense' round and not exclusively inside your home defense. Let alone the many on here with duty roles in mind as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Harpoon View Post
    Nothing wrong at all with M193 for home defense. It is devastating by the way it frags. Because the bullet breaks apart, it doesn't penetrate as far as many other rounds talked about here. So if anyone is concerned about over penetration, like living in an apartment, this round will end and intruder, but maybe not go thru them and into the next apartment.
    ...which rounds being discussed here would go through the intruder and into the next apartment? On what do you base this belief?

Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast