Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: For those of you running home defense ARs do you use hollow point 5.56/.223?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    It could be better and more consistent.

Of course, it's not that there is anything "wrong" with it, it's not like we're comparing a 3.5" 9mm with 115gr round nose to HST exactly.

But...you can do better and more consistent than M193. Especially if, like most, you want a good all around 'self defense' round and not exclusively inside your home defense. Let alone the many on here with duty roles in mind as well.

...which rounds being discussed here would go through the intruder and into the next apartment? On what do you base this belief?
    An average sized guy is like 10" deep in the thorax.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harpoon View Post
    An average sized guy is like 10" deep in the thorax.
    Which rounds being discussed here would go through the intruder and into the next apartment? On what do you base this belief?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    Which rounds being discussed here would go through the intruder and into the next apartment? On what do you base this belief?
    Which rounds being discussed here do you believe could not pass through an intruder and punch through sheet rock?
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harpoon View Post
    Which rounds being discussed here do you believe could not pass through an intruder and punch through sheet rock?
    I don't believe there are any that "could" not.

I do believe, based on objective evidence in gel tests as well as by the complete and total lack of evidence of it ever happening, that it is not a factor upon which to decide as it is too extraordinarily unlikely.

If you feel M193 and any of the rounds here being discussed are significantly different, please explain why you think that.

And remember

Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    People misconstrue this all the time. Barrier blind does not mean more penetration through walls, it just means it maintains its terminal performance after striking a barrier. Often times barrier blind SPs penetrate less interior walls than FMJ or OTM which tends to stay together but veers off unpredictably after striking a barrier.
    Last edited by Warp; 06-28-22 at 22:29.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I've shot a lot of 55 gr FMJBT w/Cannalure over the years in jugs an gel and stuff. It's frag characteristics are not the most reliable when you get into shorter barrels.

I'd shoot it if I had to, but 75-77s are much more consistent at breaking apart. Why settle on pretty good when you can easily get REALLY good?
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I've shot a lot of 55 gr FMJBT w/Cannalure over the years in jugs an gel and stuff. It's frag characteristics are not the most reliable when you get into shorter barrels.

I'd shoot it if I had to, but 75-77s are much more consistent at breaking apart. Why settle on pretty good when you can easily get REALLY good?
    I would also add that bullets that do well against auto glass do well through heavy bone.

Here are two terms to learn about the problems with FMJ and inconsistent performance:
    Fleet yaw
    Angle of attack or AOA

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...3144-Fleet-yaw

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Interesting old thread.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Just make sure you guys all use factory ammo so you don't get prosecuted for murder when your otherwise cut and dry self defense shooting is turned on its head because of the type of projectile you used...

...LOL What kind of idiots believe that?
    Same guys with "Punisher" logos on their ejection port covers.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I've continued on the path of 70gr TSX. Everything I have ever shot with it has evidenced exceptional trauma.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Call me OCD but I like to purchase a batch from the same lot # to reduce the chances of any zero shifts from the lot to lot variations.
    This is what I prefer, as well, because it's not just velocity. Projectiles---even projectile design---can vary from lot to lot.

Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast