Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast

Thread: For those of you running home defense ARs do you use hollow point 5.56/.223?

Feedback Score
    Unless you are Jeff Bezos, Elon Musk, etc your in home defense scenarios are likely to be no more than 5-10 yards max. End to end my house is 60'. Keeping a consistent zero between practice and HD ammo is superfluous. At that distance you should be able to shoot from the hip for vitals shots. Or keep practicing.

If you are talking defense outdoors on a 500+ acre ranch then consistent POI matters. Muzzle velocity and penetration also. But then why use a pistol length AR?

With a 10-30 round mag FBI level penetration indoors is irrelevant. Barrier blind ammo and deep penetration should be the opposite of your optimum choice.

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooster59 View Post
    Unless you are Jeff Bezos, Elon Musk, etc your in home defense scenarios are likely to be no more than 5-10 yards max. End to end my house is 60'. Keeping a consistent zero between practice and HD ammo is superfluous. At that distance you should be able to shoot from the hip for vitals shots. Or keep practicing.

If you are talking defense outdoors on a 500+ acre ranch then consistent POI matters. Muzzle velocity and penetration also. But then why use a pistol length AR?

With a 10-30 round mag FBI level penetration indoors is irrelevant. Barrier blind ammo and deep penetration should be the opposite of your optimum choice.

Had me going there for a minute. Good one though, I had a laugh.

Forward Ascertainment Group

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Yeah, thats ridiculous.

Feedback Score
    It's called instinctive shooting. Basketball players, baseball players, quarterbacks, hockey players, medieval archers all use or used it to great effect. But it takes practice. Some can, some can't. If you can toss a ring onto the neck of a soda bottle at the county fair it is likely you can do it too....with practice.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    It's called instinctive shooting. Basketball players, baseball players, quarterbacks, hockey players, medieval archers all use or used it to great effect. But it takes practice. Some can, some can't. If you can toss a ring onto the neck of a soda bottle at the county fair it is likely you can do it too....with practice.

Oh, you're serious.
    Last edited by Wake27; 02-12-23 at 06:43.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Oh, you're serious.
    He’s SFOD-D’s next shooting coach. Point shooting is why all of SOF’s most capable shooters haven’t bothered driving professional rifle and pistol optics T&E and adoption. Oh wait.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Not to defend point shooting for home defense...

But I read his comments as pointing out that for 99% of folks the difference in point of impact between home defense ammo and others is negligible. Given typical home defense 5 to 15 yd engagement range.

Doesn't mean you don't try to get it right, just that a quarter inch POI shift at 15-25 yards is negligible.

I'm ready for longer if needed, but my personal gut sense is that home defense shots longer than 25 yd start becoming harder to defend.

Not that there won't be occasional legitimate exceptions, especially if you somehow had someone blasting at you with a rifle from a hundred yards away. But that's pretty rare in the US.

Myself and family hunt with AR so we full well understand the trajectory and use battle sight concepts. (Nothing new, Jack O'Connor pioneered it with the 270 in the '60s and I was using by the mid '70s)

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    I've continued on the path of 70gr TSX. Everything I have ever shot with it has evidenced exceptional trauma.
    I'm on the 70gr homogenous solid train as well with the 70gr GMX TAP. Same results. Would just as gladly use 70gr TSX.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The “barrier” that you may need to shoot through can also be an outstretched arm. Like if someone was pointing a weapon at you.

It's called instinctive shooting.
    I also like to watch old Chuck Norris movies, but they are not instructional videos.

Feedback Score
    Another 70 TSX fan. Also the 50 grain enhanced load from Black Hills.

Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast