Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: For those of you running home defense ARs do you use hollow point 5.56/.223?

Feedback Score
    I prefer Speer Gold Dots to anything else. The 62 and 64gr are great, but I use the 75gr loads. The Gold Dots have even shown pretty good performance out of shorter barrels as well.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Speer Gold Dot 64gr.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Never heard of this regarding the channel, but that is disappointing if true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Isn't he one of the guys, along with the fake Col, who were called out for making companies pay money for reviews? IIRC, it started at $4k for a decent review.... and if you didn't pay up, the result may not be to your liking...

Anyone else remember this from a year or so ago?

Regarding ammo selection for HD, I would feel well protected with soft point or HP ammunition. I don't ever expect one round to stop a threat, but I am exceedingly aware of what multiple rounds on target does. If I can get high velocity ammunition to retain its destructive ability inside the body of the bad guy, I'm pretty happy. In a HD scenario, windshields and others barriers are highly unlikely. If you patrol a large area of property and are concerned about engagements, that is a slightly different thing to think about.
    Back to the thread. I keep a magazine of Mk318 in my gun and have a spare of MK318 and one of MK262 for reloads.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    If you're using a pistol or SBR or whatever, check out Corbon MPR 77gr or alternatively any load with the 77gr Sierra TMK.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I do have a can of hand loaded hollow points in my stash... 75 gr prvi bullets. But OTMs are primary for me. I like the fragging over expansion for home defense purposes. And I'm not entirely confident in the hollow point's expansion reliability.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I'd look into the lighter loadings of the TSX round for a short barrel based on what I've read of how they perform from shorter barreled ARs.

I like the proven 64gr Gold Dot for 14.5" or longer. May also be usable for a short barrel, but I don't have data on that.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    262 out of a suppressed 10.3

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by voiceofreason View Post
    I'd look into the lighter loadings of the TSX round for a short barrel based on what I've read of how they perform from shorter barreled ARs.

I like the proven 64gr Gold Dot for 14.5" or longer. May also be usable for a short barrel, but I don't have data on that.
    I got you, brother:

10.5” barrel
    55gr GD 2625 fps
    64gr GD 2324 fps
    75gr GD 2239 fps
    62gr Fusion MSR 2530 fps

Andrew at the Chopping Block tested the 62gr version of this projectile with good results loaded to impact velocities of 3024fps and 1703fps in gelatin.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I shoot 77SMK or Noslers and so I load my guns for that HD use. I don't think any round will hit way off in the HD scenario, so I could use anything with confidence. If the MK262 is good enough for the good guys, good enough for me.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    77gr TMK.

Also a 100 yard zero with M193 nearly matches a 200 yard zero with TMK out to about 600 yards. Makes training ammo a bit easier on the wallet.

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast