Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: For those of you running home defense ARs do you use hollow point 5.56/.223?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandaz3 View Post
    Like Ron3 I just use M193, it has a proven track record

I think most rifle hollow points are the real small holes in the tip to increase accuracy over a longer range than home use requires. The hollow point is actually a aerodynamic feature. a small bubble of air is held at the tip and it cuts thru the air better than most ballistic tips of the more distant past. Modern ballistic tips have cut into HP sales.
    M193 has a proven record of inconsistent terminal performance. Barrier blind gives you the most consistent performance, including through common intermediate barriers.

The open tip of match bullets are a byproduct of manufacturing, not a design feature. The jacket can be made more consistently that way, so you see it in match bullets. None of the aerodynamic theories are correct.

Open tip match does fragment more consistently than FMJ, and is legal for military use. It is still not as consistent as expanding designs, so unless you are military I recommend a barrier blind load that meets FBI testing requirements.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GRA556 View Post
    With regards to an AR15 or similar platform being used for "home use" I really don't think of these being used inside the house. That's what my handgun(s) is for. "Home use" AR15 for me at least is what I consider to be a tool used to keep a known threat from getting close to the house. Here in the suburbs this is 25 yards or more. And yes from 25 to 50 yards at least I prefer hollow points or soft points at least. With respect to the ballistics of the M193 and M855 rounds I'd save for further distances.

If the SHTF and it is known that threats are moving in and around the neighborhood then I'm setting up to fire at them from a distance so I have time to prepare for whenever I may have to retreat inside the house and barricade myself in. Once they're inside the dynamics change. I'm lucky enough that I'm skilled enough with a handgun to be able to eliminate any threat(s) that pass from the outside to the inside but my goal however is to prevent any threat(s) from even getting on the lawn.
    Well the wife and I each have a light equipped AR pistol and a loaded AR rifle that we use for home defense, M193 in all four. All shooting will be loud and fairly close. We have regular pistols and revolvers too, but our go to is the AR's, night it would be the pistols for the light, day could be either.
    I don't expect to ever use a gun in the house, but if needed I want the max firepower available.

Feedback Score
    Me armed with a .40 IS max firepower in the house.
    Never forget every word you spoke when you took your oath of office.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    M193 has a proven record of inconsistent terminal performance. Barrier blind gives you the most consistent performance, including through common intermediate barriers.

The open tip of match bullets are a byproduct of manufacturing, not a design feature. The jacket can be made more consistently that way, so you see it in match bullets. None of the aerodynamic theories are correct.

Open tip match does fragment more consistently than FMJ, and is legal for military use. It is still not as consistent as expanding designs, so unless you are military I recommend a barrier blind load that meets FBI testing requirements.
    Yes you are right and I have a lot of M855 available too, but I am going to use M193

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandaz3 View Post
    Yes you are right and I have a lot of M855 available too, but I am going to use M193
    Well at least you're using your rifle.. and not a pistol or a bird gun.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    75gr Gold Dot and 70gr GMX
    I use 75 grain gold dot as well. It's my coyote and deer round so I have quite a bit of it around. It's a good shooter and does the job.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    64 gr Gold Dot.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BillD View Post
    64 gr Gold Dot.
    I love this round. It's what I was trained on and issued before I retired. I sure wish PSA put them on sale again as I've shot all of mine already.
    Never forget every word you spoke when you took your oath of office.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Guys if you’re going to use 193 or 855, at least do it with the understanding that their terminal ballistics are pretty shitty compared to many other rounds. 193 has proven performance of sucking. My AR is loaded with it right now, because it’s not worth the hassle to have anything else where I live. But I know that it sucks and I’m ready to deal with that if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GRA556 View Post
    Me armed with a .40 IS max firepower in the house.
    A 30 round 5.56 mag from an AR is more max firepower though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast