Thread: .22lr through 1:7 twist barrel

Feedback Score

.22lr through 1:7 twist barrel

Due to ammo cost and range considerations, I'm debating on going with a .22 conversion for my AR.

I know the accuracy in a 1:7 or 1:9 won't be as good as a 1:12 or a 1:16, but how bad are we talking here? I'm going to be shooting 25yds at most and I'm happy with fist size groups. Can I get that from the 1:7 barrels?
    Stephen
    Molon Labe

"The Father wove the skein of your life a long time ago. Go and hide in a hole if you wish, but you won't live one instant longer. Your fate is fixed. Fear profits a man nothing." Herger the Joyous

Feedback Score
    it will foul up quick.

Feedback Score
    By foul up, do you mean make the gun dirty, or foul up my groupings?
    Stephen
    Molon Labe

"The Father wove the skein of your life a long time ago. Go and hide in a hole if you wish, but you won't live one instant longer. Your fate is fixed. Fear profits a man nothing." Herger the Joyous

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Fouling

Not to put words in bigbore's mouth but I think it means lead fouling (and, perhaps, unburned powder).

The .22 conversions available for them tend to be
    cranky, unreliable, inaccurate and a beast to clean. There are two
    reasons for these problems. One, the centerfire bore is supposed to
    have a nominal diameter of .224-inch, while the .22 Long Rifle bore
    is supposed to have a nominal diameter of .221-inch. Those three
    thousandths of an inch do matter.

And second, the slowest twist in an AR barrel is one turn in 12
    inches. A proper rimfire bore has a twist of one turn in 16. The too fast
    12-inch twist, combined with the loose bore, means casual
    accuracy. (You can imagine what the one in nine or one in seven inch
    twist rifling some AR barrels have does to a soft rimfire bullet.)
    "The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts." Justice Robert Jackson, WV St. Board of Education v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624 (1943)

"I don’t care how many pull ups and sit ups you can do. I care that you can move yourself across the ground with a fighting load and engage the enemy." Max Velocity

Feedback Score
    I was debating doing the same thing as you (except I have a 1:9) and borrowed a neighbor's conversion kit. In addition to crazy innaccuracy the cheapo 36 HV stuff I had didn't make it 25 yards before it turned into a puff of lead.

Upon return to home I really looked at the mess in the barrel. Rather than toil for hours on end with a brush and CLP I broke out the .50 solvent, ammonia, and the pressure washer. (needless to say my cleanings take place out doors )

If you want to shoot .22 then get a dedicated upper. The most accurate SA .22lr i've seen (excepting some insane 10/22's) was an AR with a dedicated upper.

The biggest cost factor will be the barrel. If you do go this route, I believe I saw a fine looking Anchutz blank that Numerich had for 90 bucks or so.

good luck