Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: M4 replaces Tavor in Israeli Commando Brigade

Feedback Score
    Yes, I have the older model, which is less ergonomic than the X95, and has a crappier stock trigger. I can only tell you that these rifles have become very popular at my local gun club. About a year ago one of our regulars showed up with one. Then I bought mine. Within a couple of months 4 other guys who are regular shooters (and who own AR's AK's FAL's Garands, etc.) went out and bought one. Part of the explanation is that we were in Massachusetts and it is one of the few non-FUD semi-auto's we can still buy. But a big part of it is that these are well built, reliable guns that are a ton of fun to shoot. It's just really nice to have a full size gun, with a 16" barrel in such a small package. Although the gun is not light, most of the weight is in the back end so it's very quick handling and easy to shoot offhand. Put on a red dot or a 3x scope and you'll be hitting everything from 0-300 yards. If you're looking for a gun to shoot off the bench with the aim of shooting tiny groups or targets out to 600, 700, 800 yards I would pick another gun, but for everything else they are tough to beat. And as someone who is a southpaw, it's nice to be able to set the gun up to shoot left-handed.
    Last edited by cosmo223; 09-17-18 at 16:02.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmo223 View Post
    Yes, I have the older model, which is less ergonomic than the X95, and has a crappier stock trigger. I can only tell you that these rifles have become very popular at my local gun club. About a year ago one of our regulars showed up with one. Then I bought mine. Within a couple of months 4 other guys who are regular shooters (and who own AR's AK's FAL's Garands, etc.) went out and bought one. Part of the explanation is that we were in Massachusetts and it is one of the few non-FUD semi-auto's we can still buy. But a big part of it is that these are well built, reliable guns that are a ton of fun to shoot. It's just really nice to have a full size gun, with a 16" barrel in such a small package. Although the gun is not light, most of the weight is in the back end so it's very quick handling and easy to shoot offhand. Put on a red dot or a 3x scope and you'll be hitting everything from 0-300 yards. If you're looking for a gun to shoot off the bench with the aim of shooting tiny groups or targets out to 600, 700, 800 yards I would pick another gun, but for everything else they are tough to beat. And as someone who is a southpaw, it's nice to be able to set the gun up to shoot left-handed.
    I owned one for a while and sold it. I can see that it had a niche. It is a good gun, but unless you are doing cqb, the length of an ar does no bother me. My AR was about 2lbs lighter then my tavor. Yes the tavor balances well, but if you are carrying it around all day, 2 lbs makes a difference.

I might own again someday, but owning multiple length ARs including sbr's, I really don't need one.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    So what's the Cliff Notes differences between the X95's and the SAR's?
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmo223 View Post
    Can't speak to why some special forces seem to prefer M4, since I'm not special forces. But I do wonder how many of you that are ragging on the Tavor own one. Or even have extended time behind the trigger.

As someone who owns one and has put a couple of thousand rounds through it, I have to say that it stacks up against the AR very favorably. I would say it's more reliable, stays cleaner, is more maneuverable. Personally, because of its size and the way its weight is distributed, I find it easier to shoot offhand. Mag changes are a little more difficult, but not a problem with a little practice. Stock trigger is not great, but very easy to upgrade.

As for the accuracy being 4 MOA - that's just bullsh*t. With Wolf Gold I'm at about 2-2.5 MOA with a 3x scope at 100 yards. With match ammo I'm at about 1.5.
    Its really not...I dont think Ive seen a gun shit the bed harder in one of these tests.

Last edited by vicious_cb; 09-17-18 at 17:40.

Feedback Score
    deleted
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 12-18-18 at 18:01.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    I doubt the Israelis have any significant issues with the reliability of their AR-15s and I strongly doubt that they're issuing their special operations forces AR-15s because they don't have enough Tavors or Galils to go around.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    Israel doesn't have too many swamps IIRC. As long as it goes bang in the desert they're happy.

Feedback Score
    deleted
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 12-18-18 at 18:00.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Its really not...I dont think Ive seen a gun shit the bed harder in one of these tests.

Quote Originally Posted by 7n6 View Post
    I couldn't agree more. Maybe they should go back to the Galil.
    Holy caca, I've never been a fan of the bullpup platform in general but damn.

Didn't have any plans for a Tavor and now I never will (short of hitting the Powerball and acquiring a reference collection).
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    deleted
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 12-18-18 at 18:00.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast