Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: M4 replaces Tavor in Israeli Commando Brigade

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    The development and plans for widespread adoption of the Tavor began in the mid-to-late 1990s and adoption began during the tenure of George W. Bush.

The history - which Israel is all too aware of, even if Americans are eager to forget it - is that the US has engaged in arms embargoes against Israel and Israel is not about to tie themselves to anything that can so easily be cut off ever again.
    Which begs the question why IWI has not moved forward to produce an in house M4 variant considering their Tier 1 units use them and pretty much everyone who has served in the IDF in recent times has been trained on and spent time on the manual of arms of the M16.

Perhaps it's as simple as a matter of national pride to have a purely Israeli service weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmo223 View Post
    Why Israelis replaced M4 with Tavor - https://iwi.us/why-the-idf-chose-the-tavor-over-the-m4/
    Good read, thanks for posting the link.
    Last edited by Moose-Knuckle; 09-20-18 at 11:35.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    The truth about the M16, is it last damn near forever. It is so modular, that replacing parts to keep the weapon running is easy. I have seen riles in use with lowers that I am sure came over in 1973, but these riles were now wearing new barrels and furniture. What came over as a full sized M16 was now a SBR.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    The truth about the M16, is it last damn near forever. It is so modular, that replacing parts to keep the weapon running is easy. I have seen riles in use with lowers that I am sure came over in 1973, but these riles were now wearing new barrels and furniture. What came over as a full sized M16 was now a SBR.
    I looked back through this thread, and I didn't see where you already answered this, so I'll ask it:

In your experience is the M4 adequately reliable, or does it develop a "dust allergy" as one of the linked articles stated?

Feedback Score
    I had some minor issues with "dust allergy", but it was nothing I ever got too worked up about. When it happened the conditions were so bad that everything was having issues.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789