Thread: Vltor MUR 1ab

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Vltor MUR 1ab

Never used a MUR upper. Came across one available online that says "hammer forged" in the title and according to what I have e found Vltor does have a few different part numbers for the mur and this one is 1AB. Can anyone tell me anything about this particular model mur? Is it hammer forged and the others arent?
    Any benefit to hammer forged? Extra strength and stiffness above regular mur?
    Thanks
    RealeyesRealizeRealLies

BCM 16" RECCE MK2 DkBrz, Custom Mk12 Mod1 built by Monty LeClair, 16" Middy w/ HCS RECCE barrel, A5, Young NM BCG, SSP, Geissele NM rail, Ops Inc., Super CH. 14.5" middy Noveske Afghan X3, 10.3" pistol DD barrell, Benelli M4, Ruger 10/22 w/Victor stock, GLOCK 17 Gen 4, Dan Wesson Valor Duty Coat, Dan Wesson Valor Blue, Dan Wesson Silverback 10mm, S&W 27 4"

B Co 4th502nd Inf Reg. '86-'90. 11b
    B Co 3rd187th InfReg. '90-'94. 11b
    Iron Rakkasans

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Interesting. If I recall correctly, early test models of the MUR were billet, but then they went to forgings. I guess this is something different than drop forged. ??

Is the "hammer forge" terminology in a dealer description? I bet the model variance has something to do with the forward assist or some other feature.
    Last edited by markm; 09-06-18 at 11:45.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    From the dictionary>>> "formed by pressing or hammering with or without heat; especially : made into a desired shape by heating and hammering" I guess I am saying.. Anything forged is hammered even if it is forged between 2 dies with hydraulics doing the hammering.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    The only change I have encountered in the MUR is the fact that Vltor now has made the forward assist with shell deflector and shell deflector only a homogeneous part of the upper when they used to be separate components.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    There have been changes. For example the old ones were made of 6000 series aluminum. And I think Markm is correct about them being billet at some point past, but I’m not certain of that.

Edit: they also removed the logo from the right rear, for what thats worth.

Edit 2: my mistake. As militarymorons pointed out, my info above is incorrect. Dang memory...
    Last edited by 1168; 09-06-18 at 19:04. Reason: Add

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    There have been changes. For example the old ones were made of 6000 series aluminum. And I think Markm is correct about them being billet at some point past, but I’m not certain of that.

Edit: they also removed the logo from the right rear, for what thats worth.
    We toured Vltor a few years back when Eric Kincel was still there. They told us about the MUR at the time. If I remember right, it was 7000 series alloy with a different heat treatment that made it machine really well.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Sounds from the below like they aren't really sure what they are talking about....

https://www.hinterlandoutfitters.com...t-p-73780.html

Product Specifications
    Barrel Type : Hammer Forged
    Description : Modular Upper Receiver
    Finish : Black
    Fit2 : AR15/M16
    Manufacturer : VLTOR
    MPN : MUR-1AB
    Model1 : MUR
    Type : Upper
    Wt-Characteristics :
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Oh oh, looks like this may be a question best posed to the company directly, so I have. I always like to ask here first.
    I mean, they seem to be making some big to-do about this model being hammer forged, and it's even more expensive than the other models, not by a lot but enough to push me off if I buy one and then finger out it's the same as any of the others.
    I'll let you know how Vltor responds.
    RealeyesRealizeRealLies

BCM 16" RECCE MK2 DkBrz, Custom Mk12 Mod1 built by Monty LeClair, 16" Middy w/ HCS RECCE barrel, A5, Young NM BCG, SSP, Geissele NM rail, Ops Inc., Super CH. 14.5" middy Noveske Afghan X3, 10.3" pistol DD barrell, Benelli M4, Ruger 10/22 w/Victor stock, GLOCK 17 Gen 4, Dan Wesson Valor Duty Coat, Dan Wesson Valor Blue, Dan Wesson Silverback 10mm, S&W 27 4"

B Co 4th502nd Inf Reg. '86-'90. 11b
    B Co 3rd187th InfReg. '90-'94. 11b
    Iron Rakkasans

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The 'first gen' MURs were machined out of 7075-T6 billet. The forged ones were machined out of 7075-T6 forgings. It was the VIS receivers that were made from 6013-T6 (because 7075 was not conducive to the salt brazing process). Pre-production VIS's were 6061-T6.

Here are a couple of pics of the MUR forging and a fully machined but unfinished MUR (it'd still have to be tumbled and anodized) that Eric Kincel sent me when they first introduced the forged version. They still make for interesting conversation pieces.