Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEW Dan Wesson Custom 10mm Commandrt

Feedback Score

NEW Dan Wesson Custom 10mm Commandrt

New DW Valor made for me. Details to follow.

Hey Gang,

So I have gotten back into 10mm of late. Because of my hands, I am doing 1911s. I have a Garthwaite 10mm, a Wilson Combat Hunter, and this little gem that arrived last week. I am headed to the range tomorrow. Here are my thoughts so far:

1) Doing business with Dan Wesson was ridiculously easy. 3 emails that went like this: "Keith, I want a railed 10mm commander, can you build me one". "Yeah sure can". "I want a carry gun. Carry trigger, night sights (two tone) strong side safety, checkering, and the basic 1911 enhanced mods". "No problem, send me a check, and we'll have it for you in 14 weeks". Four weeks later my CC got hit with the balance and I got a shipping notice. I have never (in 20 years of buying custom guns), had a custom gun arrive on time. This one arrived 10 weeks early.

2) So far, nothing not to love. Good sights. Good trigger with distinct reset. No branding (it says valor in tiny letters and has the ATF mandated script on the other - Nothing else. Checkering is aggressive. Couldn't be more pleased.

Hope to shoot it tomorrow.

Damien
    Last edited by KTR03; 09-05-18 at 16:09.
    Damien

If a large number of people are willing to kill you for saying something, then it probably really needs to be said. .

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Very nice.
    Look forward to the range report.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I did not realize DW was doing custom guns. Awesome. It looks really nice.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    That is so cool. My 10 is a springfield Operator, but it never even occurred to me that someone could do a commander. Give us a range report and more photos!

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Freaking love it. Great choice. Nothing but rain since we returned from SC so I haven't got to shoot the Silverback yet. I guess this coming weekend.
    Your gun looks awesome.
    RealeyesRealizeRealLies

BCM 16" RECCE MK2 DkBrz, Custom Mk12 Mod1 built by Monty LeClair, 16" Middy w/ HCS RECCE barrel, A5, Young NM BCG, SSP, Geissele NM rail, Ops Inc., Super CH. 14.5" middy Noveske Afghan X3, 10.3" pistol DD barrell, Benelli M4, Ruger 10/22 w/Victor stock, GLOCK 17 Gen 4, Dan Wesson Valor Duty Coat, Dan Wesson Valor Blue, Dan Wesson Silverback 10mm, S&W 27 4"

B Co 4th502nd Inf Reg. '86-'90. 11b
    B Co 3rd187th InfReg. '90-'94. 11b
    Iron Rakkasans

Feedback Score
    Beautiful!!!!

A 10mm Commander? Let me know how your hand feels after shooting. I know with my full USG sized TRP Operator, there is no mistake when a round goes off. FUN! Love the 10mm.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    Just back from the range. Kicks pretty good. Certainly more than a 45. The targets below are with magtech 180 grain fired from 15 yards. One mag at 15 yards, first round outside of group fired from rest. Second group is 50 rounds fired offhand. Last group 25 rounds in controlled pairs.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    Damien

If a large number of people are willing to kill you for saying something, then it probably really needs to be said. .

Feedback Score
    I wasn't smart enough to lube the pistol or bring lube to the range. Had a couple of failures to go into battery but the thing was bone dry. Hopefully that will sort itself out when I get my head out of my ass.

Damien

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KTR03 View Post
    I wasn't smart enough to lube the pistol or bring lube to the range. Had a couple of failures to go into battery but the thing was bone dry. Hopefully that will sort itself out when I get my head out of my ass.

Strip her down and give her the best cleaning you can do. Semi-autos can come from the factory dry and dirty.

Lube generously. I use Breakfree LP on the link and lugs, and CLP everywhere else.

Keep it wet!

Another tip, for what it's worth: I've found that 1911s with shorter than five-inch slides are sometimes more sensitive to ammo than their full size brothers. I think this is because there's more emphasis on the spring, and less on slide weight somehow. My experience is with .45 ACP but the same rule may apply to 10mm. In other words, in .45 I keep compact guns to 230 grain. Maybe best bet in 10mm is to stay 180 grain / 1250 fps unless proven otherwise.
    Last edited by Uni-Vibe; 09-14-18 at 23:54.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for this feedback uni vibe. Appreciate it. Used to Glocks, so I have gotten lazy.

Damien

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast