Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I locktite the screws for the keymod rail attachments

Feedback Score

How do I locktite the screws for the keymod rail attachments

My rifle has a keymod rail and I have a flashlight attached at the 6 o'clock position and it starts getting loose every 100-200 rounds.

For the locktite do I put it where it is supposed to lock into the rail or along the top of the screen where it tightens against the rail section?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I presume your mount uses screws and backing nuts, so that's where the locktite should go. If the screws can't back out, then it can't become loose.
    Last edited by grizzman; 08-31-18 at 13:15.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This is a pretty good tutorial on locktite use: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyeY4EVzIQQ
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattler5 View Post
    My rifle has a keymod rail and I have a flashlight attached at the 6 o'clock position and it starts getting loose every 100-200 rounds.

For the locktite do I put it where it is supposed to lock into the rail or along the top of the screen where it tightens against the rail section?
    If the rail and flashlight mount are KM spec you shouldn't be having issues if they are installed properly.

Feedback Score
    Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the big advantage of key mod the fact that you can get things on and off easily? I have a flash light mount using key mod but it is for home defense. When I take the rifle outside to actually shoot, I remove the flash light and mount. I have color coded the wrench with finger nail polish and put a dot on the mount for reference. It goes on an off easily. The last thing I want is locktite.

If you want it on forever why not just go with M-lok, honk it down and locktite it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the big advantage of key mod the fact that you can get things on and off easily? I have a flash light mount using key mod but it is for home defense. When I take the rifle outside to actually shoot, I remove the flash light and mount. I have color coded the wrench with finger nail polish and put a dot on the mount for reference. It goes on an off easily. The last thing I want is locktite.

If you want it on forever why not just go with M-lok, honk it down and locktite it.
    Because I will have to spend extra for another handguard.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It wouldn't hurt to provide us with your light mount info.

I've used multiple KeyMod light mounts for approximately 5 years, and they've never come loose.

I do not recommend the use of Red locktite, cause needing heat to remove the light makes no sense. Screws with Blue 242 applied are removable in the same manner as screws without it.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattler5 View Post
    Because I will have to spend extra for another handguard.
    Locktite is for the threads that are hidden. Other surfaces are not going to lock up.

Having said that use the PURPLE stuff. I can assure you it is very possible to use Blue and create a situation you will one day wish had not created.

If you use Purple and things are still falling off you may have an assembly technique issue.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yep, the Purple is also a viable solution.

For Keymod/MLOK mounts, I personally put a small drop onto the threads and then remove most of it with a cloth. It doesn't take much to keep them in place.

.....and I'm pretty sure an MLok mount won't work very well on the OP's KeyMod rail.
    Last edited by grizzman; 08-31-18 at 21:15.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the big advantage of key mod the fact that you can get things on and off easily?

No

It is not meant to be a QD system
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast