Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast

Thread: Man killed carrying inside his own house

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Sometimes dispatchers don’t really tell you what you are getting into.

A good habit is if you get a vibe, call dispatch on your phone and find out if people are fighting or verbally arguing, if grandma lives alone and has dementia and a loaded Luger, etc etc.

Can save you so much grief.

That said, there is no way to police without getting injured at some point.

That doesn't always work. If I had a nickel for every time I received bad information from dispatch or the dispatcher chose to omit critical information, I would have a dump truck full of nickels. Calling them on the telephone generally won't help, at least with the agencies I worked with over the years.

The only thing you know for certain when dispatched to a call is that someone made contact and wanted a police officer to respond to a motor vehicle crash, open door on a residence, etc. Even if the police dispatcher provides accurate and complete information, the situation could have changed prior to arrival on scene.

You have to take what you know for certain, gather and evaluate information as you approach the scene, then be ready to react to changes or threats. You also should not be surprised to find a homeowner or business owner is carrying a firearm at an open door call in the middle of the night.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    That doesn't always work. If I had a nickel for every time I received bad information from dispatch or the dispatcher chose to omit critical information, I would have a dump truck full of nickels. Calling them on the telephone generally won't help, at least with the agencies I worked with over the years.

The only thing you know for certain when dispatched to a call is that someone made contact and wanted a police officer to respond to a motor vehicle crash, open door on a residence, etc. Even if the police dispatcher provides accurate and complete information, the situation could have changed prior to arrival on scene.

You have to take what you know for certain, gather and evaluate information as you approach the scene, then be ready to react to changes or threats. You also should not be surprised to find a homeowner or business owner is carrying a firearm at an open door call in the middle of the night.
    Is there any kickback or repercussions for that with the dispatchers?
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Is there any kickback or repercussions for that with the dispatchers?
    For 25 years I watched the unions protect dispatchers and command fail to take steps to correct the situation.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    You also should not be surprised to find a homeowner or business owner is carrying a firearm at an open door call in the middle of the night.
    To me, this is the main thing that has changed. In the past on a ridealong I witnessed a stop of what turned out to be a middle aged black man who had a revolver on his seat.

The officer asked him to secure it, then asked a few questions. Officer assessment, the man lived close by, it was a bad area, and the driver was being prudent. Waved him on with a smile and kind comment.

No guns drawn, no assumption of guilt. LEO was careful, and used his brain.

IE: the mere presence of a weapon did not set the officer into offense mode. Just ratcheted up the defense some.

I fully believe the bad cases are outliers... Most officers find balance.

I also understand FFs point... "Bad" (sloppy, hostile, callous) officers are often "made" shaped by a system. Yes, personal choice and ethics can factor in.

Reading the bad cases like the OP one, its hard not to translate into "could this happen to me". And the answer is yes. I often have firearms out or in hand at my house. (Cleaning, etc.) I take off carry pistols but have them handy.

Semi-rural, heavily wooded, long driveway. Good neighbors, but out of sight. Strangers in my yard at night are very suspect...

Add to that I'm deaf as a stump with hearing aids out. Often wear headphones 5o hear music or tv.

So yeah, an MRAP could park on my front lawn and yell via loudspeaker and I might not hear it. Dogs help, but the fact remains, in many cases homeowners are unaware until the door busts open or worse.

So I read these cases and get a chill.

Feedback Score
    Looks like another similar incident...

Aurora police didn't identify themselves before shooting man at his home, attorney says

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...-attorney-says

Apparently this one has a lot of parts, guy who police shot had a reason to believe another group was coming to harm him, police reports confirmed this, guy had been receiving threats all day. Cops show back...

"I couldn’t tell they were cops at all," said Andrew Huff, who was shot in the buttocks and hospitalized. "I could clearly see five people. They were all in black, They didn’t look like cops. They look like they saw me and they looked like they were coming to beat me up."
    Religion is doing what you are told no matter what is right. Morality is doing what is right no matter what you are told...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    It is a crime that police need to do that, but it is true.

I did a vehicle stop class for an agency once. Pointed out that if you thought about it, the old CYMBALS format (Color/Year/Make/Body/Additional - damage, logos. etc./License/Occupants) was the best way to identify a vehicle at a distance. I pointed out that at a distance the first thing you see is light vehicle, dark, vehicle, down through the list ending with pointing out that the tag was generally the last thing you could identify on a stop, and also the most easily changed. I encouraged then to at least give the vehicle description on their stops. Later feedback from the officers attending was 'dispatch just wanted the tag.' Instead of going in and explaining the rationale and asking/demanding the dispatchers STFU and do their jobs, what do we do? Just give the tag.

Same thing on DV's, in most jurisdiction an officer isn't certain where 322 East Polk is on the block. Easy to be one of two residences off. Instead of putzing around in the dark we suggested to dispatchers that they ask the caller to describe the residence, and what's parked out front. Great reviews for the class all across the state - it was a grant thing. Did anyone actually put it into practice? Nooooo.

Dispatchers and cops, the never ending story.
    For lack of a better term, cowardice makes survivors. Bravery makes posthumous heroes.

I want every unfair advantage before I go in a house.
    I HAVE indeed toted an SMG or a shotgun with me on a routine “slap slap kiss. You know usual addy usual people”domestic and walked into a brawl and got there before other units. That scary looking gun got attention when otherwise I would have been outnumbered with two armed males.

One of the worst stops of my life was a speeder going 12 over.

One of the worst calls was a “meet in person.”

I have carried up to four guns on me at times.

And CYMBALs, my friend I have not heard nor forgotten that since the early 2000s when I first heard it. I call out bumper stickers, rims, I LOVE Donks where they put advertising logos or whatnot.

Because a lot of those tags don’t even go to that car.

But tag readers and all have made people lazy. All the extra gadgets make them complacent.

You can accomplish more with a notepad and a pen. I WRITE DOWN everything before I get out in case I am killed with notes.

I cheat. Screw these people.

And I want to violently beat anyone who says “routine”.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I concede it doesn’t always work but at times it has helped me

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here's the latest in the Atatiana Jefferson officer involved shooting that occurred in Ft. Worth back in October. Not surprising given the circumstances.

https://fox4news.com/news/ex-fort-wo...fersons-murder
    A person who is not inwardly prepared for the use of violence against him is always weaker than the person committing the violence. - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TexHill View Post
    Here's the latest in the Atatiana Jefferson officer involved shooting that occurred in Ft. Worth back in October. Not surprising given the circumstances.

https://fox4news.com/news/ex-fort-wo...fersons-murder
    Good.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Another incident like this:

https://www.fox10tv.com/news/mobile_...f3725f06f.html

MOBILE COUNTY, Ala. (WALA) -- The man who investigators were looking to arrest was already in jail when a task force raided his former home in Wilmer on Thursday morning.

Ann Rylee, a 19-year-old woman who now lives at the home on Old Moffat Road, was shot several times as investigators made their way inside the house. Mobile County Sheriff Sam Cochran claims that Rylee had a shotgun in her hand and pointed it at officers.
    Last edited by SomeOtherGuy; 12-21-19 at 21:49.

Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast