Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips for a wet tumbler and SS media?

Feedback Score

Tips for a wet tumbler and SS media?

I have been using the FART (Frankford Arms Reloading Tools) wet tumbler since I can tumbler a large amount of brass : 600-800 revolver brass, for example. I use SS MEDIA AND Lemishine with water.

I find it to be tedious and cumbersome, though.

I pour my brass through a media separator into a Home Depot bucket followed by rinsing the brass under a utility sink.

Then I use a transfer magnet to collect my SS media in the bucket. Finally, I pour my brass into SS pan, collect the rest of SS media. I pour my brass onto a rubber mat to let them dry.

I’ve been doing this for over a year.

There has to be a more time efficient method.

I just ordered a tumbling sifter to facilitate this process of separating media. But I know I can only work at half capacity of what I’m tumbling...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I use the same system in a similar way but with a couple of differences. After tumbling, I put the sifter caps on the tumbling drum and put it in a bucket. I rinse the brass and drum in the bucket. Then, I put the brass and ss into the media separator. Brass goes on a towel. SS media comes out of the media bucket with a magnet and gets placed on a towel to dry. I roll the brass around in the towel for a couple of minutes and then place the brass into a brass dryer.

Feedback Score
    I am another user of the Frankford Arsenal system. My process is also slightly different. All my wet tumbling is performed on deprimed brass.

I wash using two tablespoons of Dawn detergent, along with 1-1/2 teaspoons of Lemi-Shine. The quantity of Lemi-Shine seems to have a definite effect on the color of the brass, and I have to periodically adjust the Lemi-Shine amount due to changes in our water quality.

I recently added another 5 pounds of stainless steel pins (beyond the pins originally received with the tumbler). This has improved the cleaning action.

I initially use the Frankford Arsenal sifters to pour off the water from the tumbler. I pour through a sifting pan purchased from Amazon (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) into a Home Depot bucket. I then take small batches of brass from the tumbler and shake those over an aluminum turkey pan using a colander.

After separating the pins, I rinse my brass using colanders under cold water. I then tumble the brass on a towel before placing the brass on baking pans. I added the towel tumbling after finding my brass was spotting when taken from the water rinse to directly drying in the oven. The baking pans go into the oven for about 60 minutes at 200 degrees, to complete drying.

The whole process is a bit more work, but I am much more satisfied with the cleaning and appearance than with dry tumbling (which I did for many years).

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I have a sifter over a piece of awning shade over a bucket. Water, media, and brass are all separated in the same station.

I do however hand shake all the brass out and drop it into a clean water rinse to get the detergent off of it. I dump the water/brass into another sifter over a drain. Then I'll either anneal (large rifle brass) or poor onto a towel (.223 brass/pistol brass) and then dry tumble for 45 min to dry.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I use the Frankford Arsenal Tumbler but gave up on the SS pins. Too much overhead. I tumble the brass without the SS pins and it polishes them just as well. Use a brass dryer that is similar to a dehydrator for jerky or fruit.

This is for pistol brass so your mileage may vary with Rifle Brass.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoxySatch View Post
    I tumble the brass without the SS pins and it polishes them just as well.
    You know? I ran one of my Thumlers with most of the pins in the strainer once, and with a small fraction of the pins in the rinse, the brass came out just the same. Seems that the agitation is most of the cleaning factor in the process.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I'll try it with less pins today. Thanks

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigereye View Post
    I'll try it with less pins today. Thanks
    I still run mine with the standard pin load. I just happened to notice that less pins didn't make a big difference.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I still run mine with the standard pin load. I just happened to notice that less pins didn't make a big difference.
    Did less pins still get your primer pockets clean?

Maybe it's like adding too much soap. At some point it just isn't any more effective.

Less pins would put a little less strain on the tumbler motor.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
    Did less pins still get your primer pockets clean?
    I can't remember exactly. It's been over a year. I've also forgotten to include dish soap. That was like stainless oat meal.

I did do a tumble experiment that was interesting. Hard water vs. Soft water. Phoenix area has really hard water. 19 grains hard at my house. (zero being soft water) So I ran a batch of brass with hard water, and a batch with soft. The hard water brass looked a little shinier. Almost like the soft water smoothed out the pin tumbling action too much. The hard water was a little harsher on the pin action, and made the brass cleaner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast