I think wisdom dictates having a single point of failure (one gun to rule them all) is a bad idea. That’s why we have “backups”. I also do not believe in having one AR to do everything, but that’s my own personal opinion.
I distilled your question to: in the absence of rule of law will anyone care about NFA compliant items?
I don’t know, I’ve never been in the US where the rule of law was absent. However, I do know that whatever firearms I have, I want to be proficient in. That means they have to leave my home and travel with me to the area to where I train. There’s risk associated with that, if you choose to ignore NFA rules.
I don’t agree with the BS regulations around NFA items, but they are the law. I can’t condemn what the libtards politicians do, if I myself act as though I’m above the law, and ignore NFA rules. So I either have an AR pistol or tax stamped approved lowers, or pinned muzzle devices. That way there is no issue or conflict with training with my tools, internally with my own moral code or with law enforcement.
As far as the 80% is concerned. Mill away, I would just make sure whatever you bolt it to is legal. That way you can shoot with it and make sure it’s squared away. (As long as local/state law doesn’t say otherwise.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk