Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Do NFA rules apply for SHTF?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Purchase a bunch of 10-22s and Mosberg 590s and slings for all.

That should adequately arm your neighbor’s well enough.

I know that I don’t want a .22LR in my hide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep..."

Feedback Score
    I'm in California. Multiple guns would be nice but right now I'm concentrating on my AR. Full auto is not the problem. For us, the problem are 10 round magazines. That is just not enough. There are stays and loopholes in the law right now but in a SHTF situation, it should be expected everyone will somehow find 30 round magazines.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    It depends.

Are you going to have to be mobile to get out of an urban area? In that case you must travel light and inconspicuous as possible - if your vehicle dies, you need to walk. So likely 1 pistol / 1 rifle is going to be the max anyone can move with for any length of time.

If you hunker down, there isn't really a downside to having more weapons and ammo - arm your family / friends, use it as trade fodder, you name it.

Concerning NFA, I have a bunch of stuff already and as Yoni mentioned, braces make short, full power weapons concealable and available to many more people. I'm not going to be making anything, as I don't need full auto - if shit has gone that sideways, I'll scrounge some up after a battle is over.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by elephant View Post
    Do NFA rules apply for SHTF?
    If we're talking about societal collapse who is going to come around and check for stamps?

If we're talking about some localized event like Hurricane Katrina, the rule of law is still in effect in unaffected areas. If you get hemmed up in the effected area or not is more akin to a roll of the proverbial dice.

In either scenario the hall monitors are going to have bigger fish to fry.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    I'm in California. Multiple guns would be nice but right now I'm concentrating on my AR. Full auto is not the problem. For us, the problem are 10 round magazines. That is just not enough. There are stays and loopholes in the law right now but in a SHTF situation, it should be expected everyone will somehow find 30 round magazines.
    If I were in Kali, I'd be hauling mags back from AZ by the pallet right now. Not after the big one hits.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    I think wisdom dictates having a single point of failure (one gun to rule them all) is a bad idea. That’s why we have “backups”. I also do not believe in having one AR to do everything, but that’s my own personal opinion.

I distilled your question to: in the absence of rule of law will anyone care about NFA compliant items?

I don’t know, I’ve never been in the US where the rule of law was absent.

However, I do know that whatever firearms I have, I want to be proficient in. That means they have to leave my home and travel with me to the area to where I train. There’s risk associated with that, if you choose to ignore NFA rules.

I don’t agree with the BS regulations around NFA items, but they are the law. I can’t condemn what the libtards politicians do, if I myself act as though I’m above the law, and ignore NFA rules. So I either have an AR pistol or tax stamped approved lowers, or pinned muzzle devices. That way there is no issue or conflict with training with my tools, internally with my own moral code or with law enforcement.

As far as the 80% is concerned. Mill away, I would just make sure whatever you bolt it to is legal. That way you can shoot with it and make sure it’s squared away. (As long as local/state law doesn’t say otherwise.)
    Well put.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I mean Katrina was the one where they were going around and collecting everyone's guns wasn't it? There were fights after in court and it was rulled wrong. Doesn't mean they will not do it again. I'd have everything legal. SHTF for most will be a riot or something in their area, law will not be completely broken down, at least not for long. Do you want to be caught with something illegal? It may come back to bite you.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

Do NFA rules apply for SHTF?

Quote Originally Posted by elephant View Post
    I know laws are laws..... and I know most of us desire to be upright and law abiding citizens.

Hypothetically, if something really bad happened, even a possible global event, I would assume our "leadership" would be in bunkers a mile below the earths surface with years of provisions while you and I had to live through it, that is, until the dust settled and they came out to assume there previous roles. During times of extreme natural disasters like Wildfires, Hurricane Katrina/Harvey/Maria/Rita etc., the 2016 blizzard in the North East, the 2004 Indonesian tsunami, and even the 2011 Japanese tsunami, it can take weeks for a first responder/law enforcement QRF to assemble, it could be days before most people are able to be treated or even see a doctor. Most I would assume would die waiting for help.

During these times of struggle, lets say a full scale natural disaster that effected most of the lower 48 that caused byproducts like economic troubles, fuel shortages, food shortages, mass looting, would you worry about NFA laws or would you disregard all non-moral based laws all together? Basically, just stick to the 10 commandments.

I have been dwelling on this for some time, a few years to be exact. Is it necessary to consider building a non serialized (80%) F/A MK18 ghost just for a SHTF scenario? Or possibly a 10.3"-11.5" upper that can be switched more easily? Is a "solvent trap" a realistic alternative to a suppressor?

Is a M4/AR15 good enough to be the only gun you need?
    Posting something like this is pretty stupid. They apply unless it clearly doesn't matter. You'll need to figure that out on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    Isn't it dangerous to have NFA type things in pieces because some alphabet soup agency might consider that "constructive intent?"
    Yup. Especially when you tell people online you're thinking about doing it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by usmcvet; 09-09-18 at 01:22.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    Posting something like this is pretty stupid.Especially when you tell people online you're thinking about doing it!
    Im not actually thinking about doing this or thinking about doing anything illegal. I have a lot to lose. And I don't plan on losing everything over a firearm. This is just something I was pondering and I think it had a lot more to do with the overall mentality than with guns. I see a lot of people talking about bugging out or having a bug out car, bug out kit but I wonder if they have a place to go, a place to rest, a place to stay for an extended time. A place that was not just off grid but a place that had the same feel as home with gas, electricity, air conditioning. To me, when people talk about SHTF, they always talk about leaving, being off the grid, living like nomads.

When I hear "offgrid" or "SHTF" I just assume people are referring to an "outlaw" state of mind. Most of us could not life off the grid for long. Im sure some of you could handle it, but I doubt any of you are willing to walk away from the equity in your home, walk away from everything you know or walk away from having health insurance, TV, cable, internet etc.

Obviously, this question is mostly geared towards a total collapse. I doubt that will ever happen in the US, maybe a few states but only for a certain length of time. I picture something like a massive earthquake followed by severe floods in California, Oregon and Washington that causes trillions in damage and leaves hundreds of thousands dead and millions homeless. Something like that would consume the US capital reserves for many years. I would think that total or at least massive evacuation would be mandatory and enforced and 99% of people would be willing to pack it up and head to another state and start over, especially if the government was willing to give significant money. But for a few, I think they would stay behind and possibly try to live undetected. There might be a few who send there family on but stay behind to protect what's left of there home. In events like this, it makes me wonder what would happen.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    With the advent of braced pistols, I think this isn't even a question any more.

Why SBR a AR type rifle when you can get the same function with a braced pistol. I was not fast to jump on the braced pistol band wagon. But the braces have evolved big time.

I have a mini Uzi pistol that is braced with a buffer tube and a Tailhook brace. It is ugly, but it's function is so much better than the original folding stock on the mini and micro uzi.

So why risk problems, if we are going through a bad time. Why take a risk at making your life worse than it already is?
    This describes my thoughts on the topic. Additionally, by going the AR pistol route, you have the ability to train and practice with your gun legally before any STHF incidents occur.

I recently bought a Daniel Defense V7 pistol that I swapped the brace for an SBA3 brace. The bottom of the brace would bend when it caught my chest. I bought something called the split kit which replaces the elastic on the brace for stiffer webbing. Issue fixed.

But with all that said, depending on where I would be during a major SHTF incident, I might still prefer to be armed with a 16” carbine. So NFA would be a non-issue for me in most cases.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast