Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Do NFA rules apply for SHTF?

Feedback Score
    The survivalists in the '80s had the advantage of numbers - maybe there were enough squirrels for them to live off of in US forests. But the prepper movement is ridiculous - no portion of the US has the resources to sustain millions of armed fantasy role players.

Nor is barricading yourself in some sort of MRE palace going to do you much good if your neighbors already have an idea what you're up to. Your amazing rifle skills aren't going to prevent your house from being torn open by a hastily armored bulldozer.

SHTF is fantasy - an excuse to validate a hobby. If you are concerned about major disruptions to the supply system - get to know your neighbors. You'll be relying on them and a network of victory gardeners to keep everyone fed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    If we're using intellectual honesty here (lolirl) then we can only arrive at one conclusion, no one can be prepared for TEOTWAWKI.

Our distant ancestors were not prepared for the LGM (last glacial maximum) albeit they were much better suited for it due to their mastery of primitive survival skill sets and they kept the species going.
    Yes and no. LGM wasn't really The-End-Of-The-World-As-THEY-KNEW-IT, mostly they did not adapt to the changing condition, mostly people and animals simply moved with the leading edge of glaciation to areas where conditions were more acceptable -- basically those who survived LGM moved towards the equator then as glaciation receded people and animals moved again to take advantage of the conditions.

We see the same thing happening with current climate changes ("Global Warming"). Only animals in the polar regions are in danger of extinction from "global warming" as those from tropical and temperate regions are shifting or extending their ranges towards the poles.

If we consider various supposedly TEOTWAWKI future scenarios, some such scenarios represent the likely extinction of humanity while other scenarios would impact large parts of humanity but not others. Consider the effects of something like a cataclysmic asteroid impact which might be the end of humanity by making the Earth unsurvivable for humans. Compare that to the effects of a truly massive Coronal Mass Ejection at or above the level of the Carrington Event. Such a CME could cause a global EMP that would destroy civilization as you and I know it, with the primary, secondary, and tertiary effects wiping out most of the "civilized" world -- but there are people who would not even notice it had occurred other than perhaps wondering about the aurora.

You are right that no one can fully prepare for TEOTWAWKI in any general sense - my comment was basically that people who think they are preparing for some specific boogeyman "TEOTWAWKI" level event are fooling themselves by not looking far enough into the future of their chosen event.

Feedback Score
    The planet's getting warmer, not colder.
    "When I have your wounded." -- Major Charles L. Kelly, callsign "Dustoff", refusing to acknowledge that an L.Z. was too hot, moments before being killed by a single shot, July 1st, 1964.

Black Lives Matter. All confederate symbols and monuments need to go.
    Proud to live in a sanctuary city.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I saw this title and was like....

Then I saw the OP was elephant. It all makes sense now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex V View Post
    If you really want full auto, just buy it. You live in TX and based on your other posts you can afford all the NFA fun anyone would want. Why even consider something illegal when SubGuns.com can give you anything you would want?
    I don't see a reason to own a full auto, at the time I think I was pondering the bump stocks and binary triggers as a "full auto", something more "drop in" rather that a modified lower.

Quote Originally Posted by CPM View Post
    Autism speaks, Alex.
    you send me dozens of PM's trying to introduce yourself and want to meet up and go to the range. I can assure you, that you and I have absolutely nothing in common and couldn't have any type of meaningful relationship or even be friends.

Quote Originally Posted by n4aof View Post

I probably shouldnt bother responding, since the first thing I must say that that anyone talking about "ghost" guns is almost certainly a troll.

But, on the slim possibility that you are sincere and simply living in a fantasy world, let me point out that you are not going to be building this mythical Call of Duty "F/A MK18 ghost" gun in a post-SHTF situation. In the unlikely event that you could find someone with the skills to enable you to accomplish this, it would need to be done PRE-SHTF, and the NFA most certainly does apply then.

Without training and skills that you clearly don't have, a full auto rifle would simply be a great way to waste ammo while waiting for some serious individual to resolve all your problems in a permanent manner.

[/I]

1. You implied that there was a possibility that I was "sincere" and "living in a fantasy world" in the same sentence. Actually, if you read my post in full, you would have come to the realization that my question was not pertaining to me, that it was a general question about the nature of a certain mentality that a lot of "gun world" people have or at least lead me on to believe they have. 2. You don't know what training and skill set I have.

I haven't been back to read any of these replies in over a month, maybe longer. Just want to point out, that this question wasn't regarding me. This was a general question regarding the general mentality that I hear a lot in the "gun world". Look, I love this country, but not enough to sit through a SHTF scenario. If something catastrophic happened, Ill be long gone. A lot of people call that being a sell out, and well, I guess in some little way, I am. But I know if you had a choice to sit here and take it up the proverbial ass or pack up and relocate, most of you would chose the 2nd option because only fools would find it honorable to suffer through something like that when there is better options on the table.

Do I believe a national or global SHTF event will take place? Read my earlier post to find out.

This was a hypothetical question asking if people in general felt that in a SHTF scenario, the rules would not apply.

When Hurricane Harvey swept through Houston, I had 3 employees at the time, who sent there family on their way while they stayed home and posted pics on Facebook of them "standing post" at there homes with there suppressed SBR's, shotguns etc. They would post pics of the empty neighborhood through the 2nd story of there home with a rifle leaning up against the window with some stupid patriotic quote from George Patton or someone with absolutely no relevance.

When the City of Houston decided to open the flood gates and flood the area these guys lived in, (Memorial Park), they had to be evacuated by the National Guard and they couldn't take anything with them. I actually thought it was pretty funny considering that they had all the time in the world to gather there belongings and flee, but they chose to be "internet heroic" instead and ended up loosing everything. These employees of mine, were the "preppers" who spent a good deal of time prepping and building their "bug out kits" only to never have a chance to use them for the manner in which they designed them. Its been over a year now, and none of them work for me anymore but after talking to one of them, I have found that his whole mentality has changed. I guess after loosing everything after years of preparation makes you think differently about the things that are important to you.

I think this whole prepper mentality started during the Obama administration. I know the prepper mentality has been around longer, but probably more so during that time and I remember about that same time is when these so called "solvent traps" were becoming increasingly popular along with 80% lowers and a certain mood that "the governments going to take our shit! We better start stocking up now." I don't know, it could have been a dumb question, but some of you have already answered it.

I just want to clarify again, incase you skipped over my previous post, or cant read. Do NFA rules apply during a SHTF scenario doesn't regard me or even imply that I am thinking about it disregarding the NFA rules all together. The reason I aske you guys is because we are all apart of the same culture when it comes to firearms and I know you have heard similar talk, and I wondered how you thought about this it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elephant View Post
    When the City of Houston decided to open the flood gates and flood the area these guys lived in, (Memorial Park), they had to be evacuated by the National Guard and they couldn't take anything with them. I actually thought it was pretty funny considering that they had all the time in the world to gather there belongings and flee, but they chose to be "internet heroic" instead and ended up loosing everything. These employees of mine, were the "preppers" who spent a good deal of time prepping and building their "bug out kits" only to never have a chance to use them for the manner in which they designed them. Its been over a year now, and none of them work for me anymore but after talking to one of them, I have found that his whole mentality has changed. I guess after loosing everything after years of preparation makes you think differently about the things that are important to you.
    Great story. Thank you.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Don’t you have an airplane and some Ferrari’s?

Dude, just pay the tax and get a transferable lol.

Quote Originally Posted by elephant View Post
    I know laws are laws..... and I know most of us desire to be upright and law abiding citizens.

Hypothetically, if something really bad happened, even a possible global event, I would assume our "leadership" would be in bunkers a mile below the earths surface with years of provisions while you and I had to live through it, that is, until the dust settled and they came out to assume there previous roles. During times of extreme natural disasters like Wildfires, Hurricane Katrina/Harvey/Maria/Rita etc., the 2016 blizzard in the North East, the 2004 Indonesian tsunami, and even the 2011 Japanese tsunami, it can take weeks for a first responder/law enforcement QRF to assemble, it could be days before most people are able to be treated or even see a doctor. Most I would assume would die waiting for help.

During these times of struggle, lets say a full scale natural disaster that effected most of the lower 48 that caused byproducts like economic troubles, fuel shortages, food shortages, mass looting, would you worry about NFA laws or would you disregard all non-moral based laws all together? Basically, just stick to the 10 commandments.

I have been dwelling on this for some time, a few years to be exact. Is it necessary to consider building a non serialized (80%) F/A MK18 ghost just for a SHTF scenario? Or possibly a 10.3"-11.5" upper that can be switched more easily? Is a "solvent trap" a realistic alternative to a suppressor?

Is a M4/AR15 good enough to be the only gun you need?

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    Don’t you have an airplane and some Ferrari’s?

Dude, just pay the tax and get a transferable lol.

I have a better idea. One to make us very rich men. Not just rich, but well respected.

We charter a Net Jets Challenger 300 and fly from Nassau to Turkey with a stop in Frankfurt. Once in Turkey, we hire Turkish Coyotes to truck us across the border into Tehran Iran. We buy approximately 2000 pounds of Iranian saffron from a local spice trading bazar. It should cost us around $6/gram or $2750/pound or roughly $5.5 million for 2000 pounds.

We pay for the product with money from Julius, Barr and Rothchild's Holdings in Zurich Switzerland, but we pay for our trip and accommodations from HSBC in Panama ( that's the netjets account). We repackage the saffron in Turkey using child labor before putting it on a Vietnamese flagged container ship bound for Haiti. We hire Haitian smugglers with 43' Cigarette triple outboard center console go-fast boats to offload our product at sea and make the drop somewhere near the southern Florida Keys, or we can unload in Haiti and have a humanitarian flagged Beechcraft King Air F90 drop our product over the Everglades using 8' nylon parachutes on approach to Homestead Reginal Airport. Either way, our product will be marked using a NAVSTAR 1 GPS relay and can be found using a GM/PCS locator (used by Airforce PJ's). We then hire saffron mules to pick up our product and deliver to you and I in Texas using Ford F350's registered to a horse ranch outside Waco.

We can sell this stuff one of 2 ways: Broker, usually based in Montreal, New York or San Francisco who pays wholesale prices or we can sell this the old fashioned way, Door to Door. Current going rate of saffron is $59.93/gram ($27,148/pound) or $54 Million for the 2000 pounds. That's cocaine money!!! That's the kind of money where your wife will get along with your girlfriend and both of them will enjoy watching you sleep around with other women. We can be like Pablo Escobar and Jorge Ochoa, but in the spice industry. Its a lot safer and far less players.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx_Aggie View Post

The idea of arming someone while also trying to teach them how to responsibly and proficiently use a firearm in an emergency situation reeks of fantasy, at least within the context of likely disaster scenarios here in the US.
    Good lord...the entire “preparing for TEOTWAWKI” scenario reeks of fantasy. OTOH...everybody needs a hobby.

Feedback Score
    It's good to have a hobby with a built in fantasy, and to hang around with folks who have the same fantasy.

That's why I'm a Seahawk fan.
    "When I have your wounded." -- Major Charles L. Kelly, callsign "Dustoff", refusing to acknowledge that an L.Z. was too hot, moments before being killed by a single shot, July 1st, 1964.

Black Lives Matter. All confederate symbols and monuments need to go.
    Proud to live in a sanctuary city.

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast