Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Do NFA rules apply for SHTF?

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Trying to figure out how I missed this gem of stupidity. Might as well let it go at this point.....
    Getting soft in your old age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Odd that I haven't see Sir David ever posting here about his "preparation" efforts.

‘Collapse of civilization’ predicted at UN climate summit

"Right now, we're facing a man-made disaster of global scale," Attenborough told delegates from almost 200 nations. "Our greatest threat in thousands of years: climate change. If we don't take action, the collapse of our civilizations and the extinction of much of the natural world is on the horizon."
    https://www.foxnews.com/science/sir-...climate-summit

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
    They spend a lot of time shooting from behind barricades upside down under water and no time practicing emergency surgery.
    Or the VERY likely personal SHTF event of a heart attack or stroke.
    Some guys spend thousands preparing for some possible future extinction event - and completely ignore the increasing expansion of their waistline.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by coal-cracker; 12-12-18 at 08:46.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    I've always thought that this wasn't the best idea. I mean, with the exception of a close family member, if you don't already have the sense to be armed, there is a very dubious advantage in arming you. Do you really want to arm people that didn't have the sense to arm themselves, AND learn how to become proficient with their weapons, before the SHTF? Do you really want these people armed, and on YOUR side?

Scary part of that scenario is will they STAY on your side once you arm them.

For me to arm someone, I'd have to know them pretty damn well.

As far as the SHTF NFA question, depends on how bad the S hits TF, how long it lasts, and what happens to the government in the meantime. If it looks like things are gonna get sketchy for an extended period, and it'll be a situation where the government will no longer function, all bets are off.

But that's after the fact.

Problem is, up til that point, the government IS functioning, and you (at least I) never want to get on their radar as having plans to circumvent their stupid laws. I already have an SBR, so I'm legal right now. I'm also covered in the short, handy weapon area should things go south. I do need to get a suppressor one day.

I'll NEVER be able to afford a full auto lower, so that's out, (thanks again, stupid NFA laws) and I'm too scared of doing time to risk gathering up the parts to convert, then having them in my possession, or having the parts for "constructive intent" of a suppressor either...

Getting caught, and losing my freedom, or even my rights to own a gun is the biggest SHTF for me to avoid.
    At least that one, I can control...
    Last edited by daddyusmaximus; 12-12-18 at 13:15.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    What is it that so many people think is going to happen that an AR and 1000 rounds of loose ammo is going to fix for them? I've never understood how the ammo hoarding and tactical rifle classes actually figure into dealing with a disaster.

And how is full auto, 6" less barrel or a rifle suppressor going to change the outcome compared to a regular rifle and several thousand dollars of extra food, seed, medical supplies, etc.
    Last edited by Gödel; 12-12-18 at 13:19.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    full auto is for things belt fed
    Also great for a few instances like breaking contact, and the like. That's why you have a selector switch. On for those few times you need it, off for everything else.

FA is a very useful tool. It just gets over used because it's fun... or under used because nobody can afford the damn things (legally) these days. Besides, humping a belt fed (and the ammo) all the time, when you rarely need it, just plain sucks. Having a switch to turn on, and off is the perfect compromise. That's why the government said no more new ones.

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gödel View Post
    What is it that so many people think is going to happen that an AR and 1000 rounds of loose ammo is going to fix for them? I've never understood how the ammo hoarding and tactical rifle classes actually figure into dealing with a disaster.

And how is full auto, 6" less barrel or a rifle suppressor going to change the outcome compared to a regular rifle and several thousand dollars of extra food, seed, medical supplies, etc.
    It's not, but the thread was about firearms and their laws... so the food and medical supplies aren't the talking point here. They will be the most useful by far, and most people know that.

The weapon... That's to keep them... once everybody else finds out you have them.

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
    It's not, but the thread was about firearms and their laws... so the food and medical supplies aren't the talking point here. They will be the most useful by far, and most people know that.

The weapon... That's to keep them... once everybody else finds out you have them.
    I'm just pointing out that firearms don't come from a separate budget as if paying for an SBR, LMT parts and suppressor are free. That is expensive stuff, and if you aren't primarily buying it for your hobby enjoyment, a waste of potential resources.

You can certainly dedicate tens of thousands to a FA weapon so you can "break contact", but break contact to go where? There are no enemy lines to retreat behind, no fortresses to hide in, no militias of trustworthy comrades, no jungles full of fruit and game. The gun people are going to have the biggest problem after a disaster because of their appearance and paranoia.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    What is it that so many people think is going to happen that an AR and 1000 rounds of loose ammo is going to fix for them?
    Who said this exactly, or are you just referencing a mindset you perceive in the "prepper" community as a whole? As for me, this teeters on the whole anti-gun vibe of "Why does anyone need an AR-15". But as for your question, having a carbine and ammunition in which to load it with would be highly advantageous to people who find themselves suddenly in a SHTF/WROL/et al. situation.

I've never understood how the ammo hoarding and tactical rifle classes actually figure into dealing with a disaster.
    What kind of disaster are we discussing here; the loss of someone's job, an automobile accident, the collapse of the petrodollar, geomagnetic disturbance?

We witnessed ammo shortages during the last administration as a result of panic buying that was a direct result of anti-gun rhetoric from the then President, his AG, the MSM, and various other parties to include Bloomburg's Mom's Demand Action, Everytown for Gun Safety, and Gabby Gifford's Americans for Responsible Solutions and Giffords gun control origanizations. So people acquire and stockpile large quantities of ammunition for various reasons to include; range and training ammo, self-defense, future ammo restrictions, future tax, an out in right ban, SHTF, bartering, et al.

Professional firearm instruction is a no-brainer as one would require the knowledge and skill to effectively employ a firearm of any kind to defend themselves, their loved ones, their home/shelter, and life sustaining supplies after said disaster.

Yeah I don't see what barrel length has got to do with the equation other than from maybe a concealability standpoint. Suppressors have multi benefits. One can have stockpiles of antibiotics, food, water, agriculture supplies, etc. but the trick is they will have to have the means and willingness to protect such implements from desperate armed aggressors that will stop at nothing to feed themselves for just one more day.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
    It's not, but the thread was about firearms and their laws... so the food and medical supplies aren't the talking point here.
    I think the people who consider the collapse of the federal American government are in the minority, and the rest of us went on to discuss other uses for scarce dollars. (Or to present other items worth more consideration.)

The federal government does have plans for surviving for years after disasters far, far more involved than any one family or small group can hope to plan for. They'll be here (and, therefore, the rule of law will be here) long after we're gone, disaster or no disaster.

Break the law when you think the government has collapsed, and you'll pay for it when they get back.
    Last edited by Jammer Six; 12-12-18 at 18:59.
    "When I have your wounded." -- Major Charles L. Kelly, callsign "Dustoff", refusing to acknowledge that an L.Z. was too hot, moments before being killed by a single shot, July 1st, 1964.

Black Lives Matter. All confederate symbols and monuments need to go.
    Proud to live in a sanctuary city.

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast