Thread: VORTEX SPITFIRE 3 X ISSUE

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

VORTEX SPITFIRE 3 X ISSUE

FNG......Retired Army....and in my work i have shot and taught everything from 9mm - 81mm Mortar - .M2 50 Cal to 106 mm Recoilless Rifle...yes i passed the pile test.....big time deer hunter (Hunt every year in Montana) and very particular with equipment. I am from the old school ethic that "Only accurate guns are interesting" .Nosler trophy grade rifle, Accurized at Hill Country Rifle, .270 Win, Nosler 130 gr Accubond, SWARO Z3, .. Carrying an AR for 23 years in my day job, i never saw the requirement for privately owning one until Ferguson, Missouri.....At that point, I amended my METL and obtained an M4 (Colt Upper, Anderson lower) ... I had been been shooting iron sights until recently...when a I could no longer obtain the laser focus clarity necessary of the front sight post.. I did some research and bought a Vortex Spitfire 3x. Iron sights have heretofore given great performance....good groups...ACCURACY. So now i mount the Vortex...obtain good groups 25...50 ...when i move it out to 100.... it's high with a good group. Too high. I devine it's the mount....it's too high with the accompanying riser.....so i remove the riser and remount.....went to range....50 yds...no group.....all over....tried several times....NO GROUP....rest was excellent...my technique was ON...still no group.....Houston we have a problem. My approach is to always mount an optic low to barrel....i have always been umbilically attached to that concept. On this M4 platform that may be wrong but that in itself does not explain no groups...So at a minimum, i will remove the Vortex and remount probably with riser as the groups at 50 and 100 were more than respectable. Perhaps i should remount and try without the riser...Either way i must obtain the accuracy which this rifle in my hands has already been proven...I am stumped and frustrated...I seek any input that gets my headspace and timing right and gets this rifle/optic to group and zero. Thank you to anyone who can understand, drill down, consider and offer remedy/remedies.

Feedback Score
    I would post this in the optics forum. And vortex has great CS if you give them a call they will help you trouble shoot and take care of any issues if there is one

Feedback Score
    yes ....i will post in optics .....thanks.....i am waiting as we speak to call them.....at 0900 hrs EST.....they open at 0800 hrs CST...i do get your point though...if there is one (issues)....if i were giving advise that would be my 1st inclination also....something is out of whack...now to find it

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What do you mean by high with a good group? The point of impact was high? Pictures of the target may be helpful.

If you are pulling the optic apart and mounting it, how are you mounting it to the weapon? Are you using the same ammunition?

Lots of questions in this post.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    The riser allows you to comfortably see through the optic mounted to an AR platform. You'll notice that with the riser installed the centerline of the optic will be about the same height as the irons you've been using (about 2.5inches above bore). Unless you've got a head shaped like ET, I'd recommend properly reinstalling the riser so you can comfortably look through the optic.

Being on target at 25yds but "too high" at 100yds sounds like you've got around a 25yd zero. Sight over bore at 2.5in and a 25yd zero will result in 6 inches high at 100yds. Choose a zero that well accommodates the distances you'll be shooting.

Since the shots were grouping well until you monkeyed with the mounting hardware I'd look there.
    Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 09-07-18 at 13:16.

Feedback Score
    Agree, Phil you are on point. That was the advice i got from Vortex tech dept...So i remounted this AM with riser....went to the range and it still does not respond as it should.....you are correct...6 inches above...that seems a bit excessive in terms of trajectory..in any event it's going back today. Will advise when this is resolved.....Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Thanks gents, just back from range......windage and elevation adjustments are off and do not take as they should...... cannot achieve repeatable accuracy to zero....keeps drifting.... COOLING THE GUN IN BETWEEN....AND ALL THIS IS AT 25 YARDS.....50 and 100 yd... In the words of the poet.."FORGET ABOUT IT"....contacted Vortex....they are very helpful....both the service and technical dept. (heretofore i have only used leupold, zeiss und Swaro). Unfortunately, I am sending it back for repair or replace. Tech guy, Mike said he does not get a lot of issues with the Spitfire 3X. I am typically in the buy once cry once camp....but did not want to spend up to $1000-1400 on an optic and thought i was gonna get away with it without issue. I will provide feedback once this is resolved. Cool Secrets, hmmm...well a LTC once said...do not train these guys too well..."we may have to come back here in 6 months and kill all these bastards".