Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Possible Excuse for ATF to Classify an AR Upper as a "Firearm"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

A Possible Excuse for ATF to Classify an AR Upper as a "Firearm"

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...rs-as-firearm/

Barreled Actions = Receivers

Then they segue into bolt action rifles. If you think of a traditional bolt action rifle, the serialized portion of the gun is the barreled action. So now the ATF is saying a bolt action upper assembly should be classified as such regardless that it sits on a serialized AR lower.

Non-Standard AR Uppers = Firearms

Near the end of the letter the ATF goes on to say they have previously determined that non-standard AR type upper receivers are considered firearms even when attached to an AR-type receivers. This is a little concerning. I wonder what previous examples are they referring to? The closest example I can think of is the FN SCAR platform. The upper receiver is the serialized portion of the firearm and it attaches to something that resembles an AR-type receiver. However the lower is not a serialized component.

Therein lies the rub. This passage does not mention anything about bolt action receivers. I can see how they could come to the conclusion that bolt action receivers are traditionally considered the firearm and therefore need to be serialized. But now this bleeds over into AR style firearms? The passage above could then be construed that any AR upper can be considered a firearm. This is a slippery slope. If this is the case and all AR receivers are considered firearms then they will need to be transferred via 4473. And of course you can’t just order them online and have them shipped to your house.

Lets hope it does not come to this. But lets take a look at some other issues with this letter. Specifically manually operated AR uppers. Does this mean the upper receiver of guns like the Troy Pump Action Rifle are now themselves firearms? What about a straight pull BCG like the Lantac E-BCG? By installing this have you now “redesigned” the upper receiver and made a firearm? Making your own firearm in of itself is not illegal but doesn’t there need to be a component of manufacturing? Simply assembling components is not manufacturing. Otherwise 80% lowers wouldn’t be a thing
    If the ATF presses this new interpretation and enforces it, what happens to all the manually operated AR upper assemblies out in customers hands? Could this issue bleed over to semi auto upper assemblies?
    My take: It's a slippery slope, for sure. Even if a bolt action upper counts as a firearm because it's a barreled receiver and that's how bolt actions are classified as firearms, it's not as if the barreled bolt action can be used effectively without the FCG in the lower receiver. You could theoretically disable the gas on a semi-auto upper and operate it manually by finding a way to hit the firing pin. Does that make it a firearm too? I say ATF is over-reaching here.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 09-07-18 at 10:40.

Feedback Score

A Possible Excuse for ATF to Classify an AR Upper as a "Firearm"

A traditional bolt action barreled action contains all parts to make it function, including fire control. An AR upper, not so. But does this mean I can use my SBR on any lower? Perhaps SBRs are non-standard next?

My take, the pistol braces have gone too far and they want an out to regulate SBR uppers on pistol lowers. This will be a gateway because it affects so few it’ll fly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by redpillregret; 09-07-18 at 12:43.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    It just cracks me up , the big scary five-oh. Seriously, how many people have meant with violence with a 50 in the CONUS?
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    It just cracks me up , the big scary five-oh. Seriously, how many people have meant with violence with a 50 in the CONUS?
    The feds, progs, and gov't stooges are afraid they will be used on THEM, not that we'll use them on each other...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    The feds, progs, and gov't stooges are afraid they will be used on THEM, not that we'll use them on each other...
    Shhhhhh....you're not supposed to know that.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Whatever, comes to that 50s will be the least of their worries.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This. Not aware of banks getting robbed with water cooled machine guns, but those would have been very handy for deleting the causes of the great depression.

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Literally the only case I can think of involved the gun falling on a kid.
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    .Gov stooges have to justify their existence somehow.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    This is an amazing post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast