Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting with an AR, what AR15 pattern caliber? (Update- Rifle complete, Post #29)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Hunting with an AR, what AR15 pattern caliber? (Update- Rifle complete, Post #29)

I have been a hunter and AR owner for quite some time. I usually hunt with a Remington 700 SPS Stainless chambered in a .270 Win but wanted to change it up a bit and use an AR. I hunt California Mule deer (genetically very small) and wild pig at ranges up to 200+/- yards . I am conflicted on what caliber to use.

I plan on building and AR on an Areo Precision M4E1 (AR15 pattern) receiver set. I reload so “Wildcat” rounds are doable. These are the calibers I have been contemplating, in no particular order; 6.5Grendel, .277Wolvirine, 6.8SPC, 6mm-223. This AR will be strictly used for hunting so I plan on a 16” possibly an 18” barrel with a 3x9x40 scope.

What AR15 calibers have you used? Feel free to offer suggestions on other calibers I didn’t mention that you think would work. Thanks for your input.

5.56Geo (George)
    Last edited by 5.56Geo; 10-21-18 at 18:55. Reason: Added information.
    Live free or die trying!

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    My thoughts:
    Unless I’m hunting from a fixed position (blind/stand), which I seldom do- the AR10 cartridges/weapon are out.
    One of the attractions to the AR15 and it’s cartridges is lighter weight and “handier”.
    I have no experience with the 6.5 Grendel, but it appears to be a front runner of the rds. you mention in my book.

You have experience with a .270.
    Your not gonna find an AR15 pattern gun that will shoot as flat, using as heavy a bullet as your .270. Everything’s a trade off.
    To do so you’ll need to step up to an AR10 sized gun.

My experience is just with 5.56 and .300 Blk. in an AR 15.
    Both will kill our Whitetail. Both are 200 yd. cartridges with adequate bullets/velocity from what I’ve experienced.
    The .300 Blk. hits harder, using Supers- within its range limitations.

I have a 6.5 CM / AR10 carbine. It shoots lights out, but kitted it has to weigh 12 lbs.+.
    I will not be lugging it through the hills this season.

Feedback Score
    6.8 SPC is great for 50-250 yards, much more zap than a .300 Blackout. If you're going with a 16-18" barrel then that's going to beat most options out there. 6.5G does best with a 20" barrel or more which will still be reasonably light but just a little longer.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's...insane!" -- Penn Jillette

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)
    Cueing the caliber war in 3....2....1....

6.8 SPC (reloading makes this round shine).

30 Herrett for a wildcat is worth looking at. Lots of info and support here: https://68forums.com/forums/showthre...#/topics/49363

Feedback Score
    Is there a minimum caliber dictated by game laws there?
    Last edited by MegademiC; 09-24-18 at 06:29.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    For what it’s worth. I don’t handload MUCH. I can, but I’d rather shoot than load.So for me, I’m shooting factory. I had a 6.8SPCII Noveske that would never do better than 1moa. Not that 1moa is bad, but I have several rifles that are comfortably sub minute. I tried about 10 different loads. Accuracy was always “meh...”That was a Noveske barrel too. Never impressed me, so I moved it. I have seen and shot a couple 6.5G that were VERY accurate. Was mine a sample of one? Yes. Did it turn me off to 6.8SPC? Yes. I’d definitely go 6.5G. Higher BC, and I’ve heard about much better accuracy with that round.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Is there a minimum caliber dictated by game laws there?
    Thanks for the replies guys.

It must be a lead-free centerfire cartrige.
    Live free or die trying!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.56Geo View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys.

It must be a lead-free centerfire cartrige.
    Not knowing much about whats out there, Id see if that limits your choices

Edited.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 09-25-18 at 04:48. Reason: Somehow forgot about black tip.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Barnes 110 gr Black Tip is solid copper/alloy in .300 Blk.
    Last edited by gaijin; 09-24-18 at 19:58.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Both 6.8 SPC and 6.5 Grendel would work fine for your purposes. Barnes offers the TSX and TTSX bullets in weights/construction appropriate for them.

It took more effort to find a load my 16" Bison Armory 6.8 barrel likes than I was expecting, but it does well enough. I haven't taken game with it yet, but
    I have no doubt that it'll do the job.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast