Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of a 11.5" pistol

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Use a 3 or 4 Tine flash suppressor and it diverts the blast forwards. Outside, the concussions is a non-issue on an 11.5 that's properly gassed with normal ear pro.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    As I stated in another thread, i put the sf brake on, and with double ear pro, it didnt hurt my ears, but concussion rattled my brain- a 30rd mag would cause a headache.
    I've heard similar reports when shooting sbr's, and this is one of my main reservations about it. I've shot a 14.5 with a sf brake and it had significantly more concussion than my 16" with a BCM comp. I imagine the effects would only be compounded by a shorter barrel. When using a A2 or similar, is the concussion to the shooter/ bystanders comparable to a 16"? The last thing I want is my wife to put a magazine through it and walk away with a headache...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    You're putting the cart before the horse. Get a trust and buy the suppressor before you build the pistol.
    When you're done saying what you're saying, stop saying it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    11.5 with 3 or 4 prong flash suppressor and proper gas
    Is totally fine outside
    Never use a brake on a short ar
    There’s really no need for a brake and the massive concussion

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I guess we're all wired differently. I have an 8.5" and 10.5" pistol (5.56). The 8.5" has a Kaw Valley linear comp and the other a shorty version of the XM177 muzzle device (6 flutes like an A1). With my ancient muffs and shouldered it's just no big deal (outdoors). I can tell the noise is a bit more than my 16" carbines but not even close to "brain rattling" or deafening. The 8.5" had an A2 device on it and was a wee bit louder than its current comp. I'm currently waiting on an 11.5" barrel / fsb to come back in stock for my next assembly. I'll use another XM177 shorty / A1 / A2 muzzle device.
    Last edited by bamashooter; 09-10-18 at 15:02.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Do it. I ditched my budget 14.5" for the 11.5" pistol and never looked back. I still can make hits with irons at 200 yds.

I do shoot 95% outdoors....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gumbo View Post
    I've heard similar reports when shooting sbr's, and this is one of my main reservations about it. I've shot a 14.5 with a sf brake and it had significantly more concussion than my 16" with a BCM comp. I imagine the effects would only be compounded by a shorter barrel. When using a A2 or similar, is the concussion to the shooter/ bystanders comparable to a 16"? The last thing I want is my wife to put a magazine through it and walk away with a headache...
    With the A2(11.5) vs 14.5” (sf3p), I could not tell the difference between the 16” and 11.5” outside or under a roof.. indoors would likely be different.

All I know is the sf brake on 11.5” is brutal, never tried it on 14.5 or 16”.

Quote Originally Posted by bamashooter View Post
    I guess we're all wired differently. I have an 8.5" and 10.5" pistol (5.56). The 8.5" has a Kaw Valley linear comp and the other a shorty version of the XM177 muzzle device (6 flutes like an A1). With my ancient muffs and shouldered it's just no big deal (outdoors). I can tell the noise is a bit more than my 16" carbines but not even close to "brain rattling" or deafening. The 8.5" had an A2 device on it and was a wee bit louder than its current comp. I'm currently waiting on an 11.5" barrel / fsb to come back in stock for my next assembly. I'll use another XM177 shorty / A1 / A2 muzzle device.
    Linear comp/a2 is much different than a brake.
    Quote Originally Posted by joeg26er View Post
    11.5 with 3 or 4 prong flash suppressor and proper gas
    Is totally fine outside
    Never use a brake on a short ar
    There’s really no need for a brake and the massive concussion
    Agreed. The only reason to use a brake is a high volume, short barreled, dedicated supressor gun (sacrificial baffle). If you want to shoot a lot of non-silencer stuff, get a flash hider. The cons > pros for a brake on 11.5 IME.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 09-10-18 at 22:32.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gumbo View Post
    I have had one AR for a few years now, it is a 16" lightweight w/ 15" kmr BCM that serves as a training, HD and occasionally hunting rifle. I've had a itch for a SBR for some time and with the addition of the SBA3 to the market, I have been very tempted to putting together 11.5" pistol in 5.56. If this were to happen, I would probably eventually transition the light and Aimpoint pro to the pistol and move it into the HD role then add a lpvo to the 16" gun. I don't see my self adding a suppressor to the 11.5" any time in the next few years. That being said, I've never handled or shot a 11.5" pistol, (with or without a suppressor) and I am concerned the extra noise/concussion and the reduced comfort of the shorter rail would result in it staying it in my safe, while I continue to use my 16" for everything. I've been looking at BCM lightweight uppers and the Sionics uppers as my options so far...

I guess the internal question that I'm considering is a 11.5" pistol a worthy addition knowing it won't get a suppressor any time soon? Should I just spend the cash on ammo?
    DO
    IT...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CrowCommand View Post
    Do it. I ditched my budget 14.5" for the 11.5" pistol and never looked back. I still can make hits with irons at 200 yds.

I do shoot 95% outdoors....
    I never understood the “never looked back”. Why close your mind to their options? Consider things out of the box instead of being close minded.
    Hunter of Gunmen 8541

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by indianalex01 View Post
    I never understood the “never looked back”. Why close your mind to their options? Consider things out of the box instead of being close minded.
    I "never looked back" because my 14.5" was an Anderson I built on the cheap, before I came here and was pointed in a better direction. My point was I had no regrets getting rid of it for a higher quality 11.5".

Not close minded, I plan on building up another 14.5" in the future, just of better quality.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast