Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Some Thoughts on SHTF basics

Feedback Score
    I envy you Doc. I have a prism with an etched reticle but of course at twilight a battery would be needed. The flashlight's need for a battery looks like a lasting problem. I hate batteries.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    This is why my girlfriend and I went "battery free" in our optics: We only use Trijicon ACOG's, Reflex Sights, and Meprolight optics now.

I wish we could find a way to go "battery free" on our weapons lights, but of course that's impossible as far as I know.

I have an Aimpoint PRO and a H-1 Micro on my GP ARs. I just made up my mind to at least check out the dual illuminated ACOG TA31F for my Recce Noveske. If it works out, then it's a done deal and would fulfill the requirement to have at least one optic that isn't battery dependent. Thanks for the reminder.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    This is why my girlfriend and I went "battery free" in our optics: We only use Trijicon ACOG's, Reflex Sights, and Meprolight optics now.

I wish we could find a way to go "battery free" on our weapons lights, but of course that's impossible as far as I know.
    SHTF is the dumbest reason to avoid battery powered optics.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Agree. You first need to survive the first 48 hrs. Then then next two weeks. Then the next three months. Then the year. Then maybe much longer. The shorter emergencies are more likely and more frequent.

I would prepare for the shorter time frame first, then work on longer and longer timeframes. I also believe in redundancy and alternatives. An Aimpoint PRO is likely to last a year or more on its current battery. Have an extra and you are good for all but end of civilization. I also still practice with irons because everything can break at the worst time.

Fitness and health are some of the least ACTED UPON preps, but near the top in priority for both short and long term. That is one of the reasons working guys only lived to 45 yrs or so before antibiotics and rapid care. Any serious injury was not just inconvenience but life threatening. And if survived, a disability could mean destitution. Be fit enough to do manual labor several hours a day; work on being healthy rather than become dependent on blood thinners or insulin if possible; be safety aware every moment when working with tools or at heights; ease off the booze and tobacco, etc. After I reached 62yrs I realized if I stop moving I start dying. If you are active regularly then you naturally move away from other unhealthy habits to more energizing ones.

I agree too with your overall point of use your preps and become proficient. Don’t buy stuff you don’t actually use often before a disaster. Better to have less high speed gear that you use frequently than whiz bang stuff collecting dust on a shelf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Care to elaborate? I just love these posts where an absolute pronouncement is made with no explanation behind it. Just why is SHTF the dumbest reason to go battery free?

We did a lot of soul-searching and tried many different types of optics before coming to the conclusion that if we are stuck out in the sticks we don't want to have to change batteries. The only downside of Tritium-based optics is that the element eventually goes dim, but I was careful to buy my Meprolights with serial numbers beginning with "17" or "18". (The first two digits is the year of manufacture on a Meprolight). This gives me at least ten years of low-light use, and the fiber optic never goes dim.

Personally, I also maintain one carbine with nothing but irons so I can remain proficient even in the absence of optics.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 09-11-18 at 10:21.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NWPilgrim View Post
    Agree. You first need to survive the first 48 hrs. Then then next two weeks. Then the next three months. Then the year. Then maybe much longer. The shorter emergencies are more likely and more frequent.

I would prepare for the shorter time frame first, then work on longer and longer time frames. I also believe in redundancy and alternatives. An Aimpoint PRO is likely to last a year or more on its current battery. Have an extra and you are good for all but end of civilization. I also still practice with irons because everything can break at the worst time.
    I concur with most of this. I have used Aimpoints and Eotechs and I can employ them effectively. I just wanted to KISS and stick to one optic for all applications.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I ponder if we were to suffer a HEMP, CME, or some other GMD if RDSs, SF lights, NODs, et al. would be fried.

With that said I have yet to construct a Faraday cage for them, however I have kept in the back of my mind I need to make my main RSC into one large Faraday cage for this very reason as I house all my primary longarms and their accessories in there.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    I ponder if we were to suffer a HEMP, CME, or some other GMD if RDSs, SF lights, NODs, et al. would be fried.

With that said I have yet to construct a Faraday cage for them, however I have kept in the back of my mind I need to make my main RSC into one large Faraday cage for this very reason as I house all my primary longarms and their accessories in there.
    I was tempted to bring up EMP attacks. I'm certainly not an expert on the subject and part of me wonders if it's a real threat or if it's more of a minor issue like Y2K turned out to be. Still, there's yet another reason to go with a battery free reflex optic and not an electronic sight.

The key, to me, is doing your best to remain proficient with iron sights, even if your eyesight forces you to start using the large peep aperture in all instances. I do know a guy who is "old school" and sticks to irons, but he has to use solely the large aperture now due to aging peepers.

I also know at least a couple of people who just have to have magnification now. They are fully aware of the fact that a magnified optic limits their speed, but their eyesight just isn't good enough to see much without a magnified optic. I hope I don't go there.

My dad only used 3X and above scopes most of the time, but finally practiced enough to be "acceptable" with an Eotech due to the large window. I don't think he could have gotten by with an Aimpoint T1 if there had been such a thing in his lifetime. Precision just wasn't there even with the Eotech: center of mass shots were about all he could muster. Minute of torso.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 09-11-18 at 10:58.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I was tempted to bring up EMP attacks. I'm certainly not an expert on the subject and part of me wonders if it's a real threat or if it's more of a minor issue like Y2K turned out to be. Still, there's yet another reason to go with a battery free reflex optic and not an electronic sight.
    I think most folks laugh off the notion of an EMP attack, or a naturally occurring GMD such as a CME.

Our planetary scientist say we are over due for our next Carrington Event and our magnetosphere has been weakened since then, so . . .

Recently there were many fears of a nuke strike by the NORKs and if we ever find ourselves in a war with the CHICOMs and or Russia nukes are not off the table. As far as I know the SOPs for nuclear war have not changed since the height of the Cold War with the exception of satellites and kill vehicles in low Earth orbit. So basically if we wake up one day to a nuclear war our enemies would probably detonate a HEMP over KS and or some sort of EMP device(s) aboard a ship in a major port(s). That translates to We the People being on our own with pre-WWII tech. The likely hood of either a man-made or naturally occurring EMP event happening is anyone's guess but remains an eventuality nonetheless.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    I think most folks laugh off the notion of an EMP attack, or a naturally occurring GMD such as a CME.

Our planetary scientist say we are over due for our next Carrington Event and our magnetosphere has been weakened since then, so . . .

Recently there were many fears of a nuke strike by the NORKs and if we ever find ourselves in a war with the CHICOMs and or Russia nukes are not off the table. As far as I know the SOPs for nuclear war have not changed since the height of the Cold War with the exception of satellites and kill vehicles in low Earth orbit. So basically if we wake up one day to a nuclear war our enemies would probably detonate a HEMP over KS and or some sort of EMP device(s) aboard a ship in a major port(s). That translates to We the People being on our own with pre-WWII tech. The likely hood of either a man-made or naturally occurring EMP event happening is anyone's guess but remains an eventuality nonetheless.
    I'm kind of in the camp that says MAD is still the law of the land. No one wants to start a nuclear war because no one can be sure that their first strike will be decisive.

More likely scenarios: Huge tornado; devastating earthquake, Fukushima-type disaster, monster hurricane.

I hear talk all the time of Yellowstone blowing, but that's probably as likely as an asteroid hitting.

So, as someone said: short-term disaster is the more likely SHTF scenario.

I could also see, long-term, a breakdown in society and the supply chain of goods and services. Bottom line: If and when the U.S. degenerates into a Third World country will you have a reliable supply of CR2032 batteries?

During my journey to non-electronic optics, I considered only fielding types that took AA batteries due to the availability, but even that could be in doubt over a crisis lasting years.

Truth: you might not live long enough to worry about your batteries--but then again you might.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast