Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Some Thoughts on SHTF basics

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    I could also see, long-term, a breakdown in society and the supply chain of goods and services. Bottom line: If and when the U.S. degenerates into a Third World country will you have a reliable supply of CR2032 batteries?

During my journey to non-electronic optics, I considered only fielding types that took AA batteries due to the availability, but even that could be in doubt over a crisis lasting years.
    Every year technology keeps growing by leaps and bounds, just look at the tech in white lights. Boy have we come far since the days of two and three cell Mag lights! For this reason over the last two years I have amassed quit a few AA and AAA lights. The uber tactical lights that run off CR123s are my primary weapon and handheld lights but those are some of the first battery types to dry up as they are not as common as C's, D's, 9 volts, AA's and AAA's.

I know we've come a long way in rechargeable battery tech, I'm not up on the latest but have Goal Zero AA's with a solar panel so as long as you got sunshine and some spares you can keep humming right along.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    Battery availability is also why I ditched my Aimpoint Pro: there is literally ONE place in 40 miles that sells the battery for it. I know people chime in with "Amazon", but we're talking SHTF here: if it's that hard to find locally in normal times, it will be impossible during a crisis.

Feedback Score
    Battery availability is also why I ditched my Aimpoint Pro: there is literally ONE place in 40 miles that sells the battery for it. I know people chime in with "Amazon", but we're talking SHTF here: if it's that hard to find locally in normal times, it will be impossible during a crisis.
    That's why I use Aimpoint Comp M4's.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    We were house sitting for my FIL at his rural lake house out of state one time. I made off without any spare CR123's for my 6P, when we made a grocery run to the only Walmart in the area I checked in their camera/electronics department and they were out. The clerk told me that those were real popular there and they sold out every time they got some in on the truck. Ever since then I don't go on any overnight trip with out a full SF SC1 spare carrier.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Some Thoughts on SHTF basics

I think a CME or EMP is inevitable, perhaps in the next 20-50 yrs. as Moose stated, we are overdue for a Carrington Event. Then there is the huge effect:cost ratio of an EMP strike that has to make it very tempting for a enemy/rogue nation and terrorist alliance sooner or later. Lots of debate on coverage area and actual effect on various electronics, but I think it prudent not to depend on any one scenario or prep. For sights, mine is PRO for AR and tritium for handguns, then glass, then irons. I can see the sense of an ACOG style optic from this perspective, I hadn’t really thought of it like that before.

As far as batteries go I store several years worth of CR2033 and 2016, buying a dozen every year as in bulk they are fairly cheap. For lights I have dozens of AA Eneloops (plus a couple of dozen alkaline) and a couple of dozen Orbtronic 18650 for headlamps and handhelds.
    Last edited by NWPilgrim; 09-11-18 at 17:48.
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    So you're telling me you are somehow going out last the country's supply of CR2032 batteries that has minimum shelf life of 10 years.

Then someone mentions EMP and what every SHTF thread devolves into. Why I cant take these threads seriously.

Last edited by vicious_cb; 09-11-18 at 22:13.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    So you're telling me you are somehow going out last the country's supply of CR2032 batteries that has minimum shelf life of 10 years.
    It's not that they won't be out there--it's just that none may be anywhere near YOU. I live in a rural area with few outlets for batteries like this to begin with. If our area were to be cut off or if making the trip to the nearest city is too dangerous, I'll be stuck.

BTW--I already stated that I didn't really buy into the EMP thing.

But I do buy into the "don't count on a supply of anything" notion.

Stored mags and ammo don't expire in 10 years. Storing up batteries requires you to rotate your inventory and you STILL won't know when to buy another batch "at the last minute."

I know it's only a movie, but I look to "The Road" for a realistic long-term SHTF scenario.

Ten year shelf life for anything seems like an eternity, but I wonder how people in Venezuela will feel about that in 9 1/2 years.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    It's not that they won't be out there--it's just that none may be anywhere near YOU. I live in a rural area with few outlets for batteries like this to begin with. If our area were to be cut off or if making the trip to the nearest city is too dangerous, I'll be stuck.

BTW--I already stated that I didn't really buy into the EMP thing.

But I do buy into the "don't count on a supply of anything" notion.

Stored mags and ammo don't expire in 10 years. Storing up batteries requires you to rotate your inventory and you STILL won't know when to buy another batch "at the last minute."

I know it's only a movie, but I look to "The Road" for a realistic long-term SHTF scenario.

Ten year shelf life for anything seems like an eternity, but I wonder how people in Venezuela will feel about that in 9 1/2 years.
    EMP is real. it should be something to think about. Don't completely rely on everything electronic.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    EMP is real. it should be something to think about. Don't completely rely on everything electronic.
    Is there such a thing as a "Faraday Cage" and would it be effective? Has anyone ever tested the principle?

I'm asking--I don't know.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Is there such a thing as a "Faraday Cage" and would it be effective? Has anyone ever tested the principle?

I'm asking--I don't know.
    Yes, and Yes. Just like everything else it has to be made correctly for it to work. The Government uses them to block radio signals and other types of EW in high security areas.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast