Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Some Thoughts on SHTF basics

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I don't see the wisdom of using inferior gear to avoid prepping in a supply of batteries... I see the short term disaster with some societal breakdown as far more likely. Your survival past the expiration date of lithium batteries in a long term breakdown seems unlikely to be the result of your optic choice.

Being prepared for your battery supply to go dry in ten years is contingency planning. BUIS, LPVO, Etc.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    I don't see the wisdom of using inferior gear to avoid prepping in a supply of batteries... I see the short term disaster with some societal breakdown as far more likely. Your survival past the expiration date of lithium batteries in a long term breakdown seems unlikely to be the result of your optic choice.

Being prepared for your battery supply to go dry in ten years is contingency planning. BUIS, LPVO, Etc.
    How is a Trijicon ACOG, RMR, or a Meprolight M21 inferior gear?

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post

Who is saying to use inferior gear? All I saw was one person getting rid of an AimPoint Pro..which is the entry level optic from them. There are MUCH better optics that use more of a standardized battery. If you want an AimPoint then the M4 and M5 are options. There are also other quality optics that use standardized batteries and some that do not.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Energizer Lithium AA and AAA now have a 20 year expiration, 123's have a 10 year and 2032's have a 8 year, also lithium batteries don't seem to have the leakage problems associated with alkaline batteries. The expiration date does not mean the battery is dead the day after, it just means that battery has discharged enough that you can no longer get full performance out of it. Likely still useful for years to come just will have a shorter service life.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 09-12-18 at 12:39.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    Is there such a thing as a "Faraday Cage" and would it be effective? Has anyone ever tested the principle?

I'm asking--I don't know.
    Yes, and everyone has at least 1 in their house. Put all your SHTF electronic items in an old microwave, its that simple.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    All the non electronic optics have various levels of washout issues. None would be a first choice for me on a defensive carbine, and that's not an uncommon position. Know the +/- of your gear and train with it. It may be an acceptable trade off for you but I don't think it falls into the basics. Nor is the necessity of paying twice the cost of a Pro for an M5.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    what was the main topic of this discussion? shelf life span of batteries? I forgot!!!

anyways. in a SHTF scenario, use what you have and train with them, but train with iron sights especially if we get hit with an EMP which I think the probability is less than, lets say a hurricane, or tornado or earthquake, or flash flood are most common than an EMP. who knows we may be hit with an EMP right after you read this post.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Chingon View Post
    what was the main topic of this discussion? shelf life span of batteries? I forgot!!!

anyways. in a SHTF scenario, use what you have and train with them, but train with iron sights especially if we get hit with an EMP which I think the probability is less than, lets say a hurricane, or tornado or earthquake, or flash flood are most common than an EMP. who knows we may be hit with an EMP right after you read this post.
    I trained for two years with irons before buying an optic. I like irons and am fine with them. I am sure everyone here is also. Is a microwave really a Faraday Cage?

Feedback Score

Not even an EMP--how about "lens breaking"? Anything with glass in it can be broken although most Tier 1 optics are plenty tough for most bumps and hits.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 09-13-18 at 10:35.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    in a SHTF scenario, use what you have and train with them, but train with iron sights especially if we get hit with an EMP which I think the probability is less than, lets say a hurricane, or tornado or earthquake, or flash flood are most common than an EMP.
    SHTF will be defined differently by different folks but I don't see to many people having gun fights in the wake of a hurricane, tornado, earthquake, or flash flood . . . NOLA and Puerto Rico not withstanding.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast