Thread: PSA upper range report.

Feedback Score

PSA upper range report.

Received my new upper, 18 inch rifle gas system, 1 in 7 twist Wylde chamber with BCG. Fit and finish was good, it did take a very aggressive cleaning session before it came clean. Was limited on time so I just shot it at home and because the corn is still on was limited to 75 yrds. I bore sited it and used nato rounds to get it on paper. I was using a Vortex Strik Eagle 1 x 8. I only shot about 60 rounds to test function, it ran smooth with no hickups. I shot some Hornady Black 62 grain and ended with Hornady 75 gr BTHP Match. The groups with the 75 grainer's went from 1/2 inch to just over 5/8. I am confident that with more rounds down the tube and a more solid rest and mybe better glass it will do better. I my opinion the 300 bucks were well spent.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by wdl002; 09-06-18 at 06:29.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wdl002 View Post
    Received my new upper, 18 inch rifle gas system, 1 in 7 twist Wylde chamber with BCG. Fit and finish was good, it did take a very aggressive cleaning session before it came clean. Was limited on time so I just shot it at home and because the corn is still on was limited to 75 yrds. I bore sited it and used nato rounds to get it on paper. I was using a Vortex Strik Eagle 1 x 8. I only shot about 60 rounds to test function, it ran smooth with no hickups. I shot some Hornady Black 62 grain and ended with Hornady 75 gr BTHP Match. The groups with the 75 grainer's went from 1/2 inch to just over 5/8. I am confident that with more rounds down the tube and a more solid rest and mybe better glass it will do better. I my opinion the 300 bucks were well spent.

Sounds good. Is it on an "assigned" lower? What was the nastiness, anti-corrosive stuff, other?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bamashooter View Post
    Sounds good. Is it on an "assigned" lower? What was the nastiness, anti-corrosive stuff, other?
    I believe the stuff in the bore was left over from the surface treatment. The bore looked fine after I got it clean. Right now it is on a Smith and Wesson sport 2 lower, I was pleasantly surprised how it looked and preformed I was worried it was going to be rough, I will be willing to spend a little more cash now for a better lower now that I am satisfied with its quality and performance .

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Good deal. If it's "happy" on the lower ....... Just curious, any specific reason for the 18"? What kind of table / bench / cover is that? Reckon I'm pretty nosy tonight.

Feedback Score
    I got the bench from Cabela's as a Christmas gift, and I wanted a little longer barrel for hunting. I didn't buy and AR for home defense, but just because I wanted see what the AR deal was all about, I'm realy a bolt kinda guy, but the AR made sense seeing how I have been shooting and reloading the 223 for quite a few years. I know there is higher quantity out there but I am semi-retired and don't have a lot of disposable income. But unfortunately the AR bug has bitten me.

Last edited by wdl002; 09-07-18 at 01:44.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Pretty much the same situation as you. Best be getting a part time job. I went through this crap with 1911s (still have many) and now these for the past 2-3 years. Two firearms I swore I'd never, ever own or touch after ETSing decades ago. I have only 1 build left then I'm done.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    PSA offers good buys for the money.