17 (100%)

Sionics Enhanced 2-Stage Trigger

Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    BLUF:
    USGI- 4-6/10
    Sionics Enhanced 2-stage- 7.5/10
    LaRue MBT-2S- 8.5/10
    Geissele SSA-E- 9.5/10

I installed the Sionics Enhanced 2-stage trigger, and dry fired it next to a newer USGI, a new MBT-2S, and a used SSA-E. My current feelings are as follows, based solely on my experience of shooting 5k-10k rounds yearly through a variety of weapons without focusing on any weapon system in particular. (Most of my rifles and issued rifles have USGI triggers.)

USGI trigger- 4-6/10. Not a bad deal in the $40 range. Can range from decent to horrible, mostly being ok. Last rifle I was issued was possibly 10 pounds, one before that was probably 7. NP3, PNT, etc obviously nicer than stock gritty version.

Sionics Enhanced 2-stage-7.5/10
    4lbs 8.1oz average. Proper price/value. It actually feels pretty good, but it does feel as advertised, and it isn't advertised as a match trigger. Think of a budget MBT-2S.

LaRue MBT-2S - 8.5/10
    4lbs 1.6oz average. Exceptional price/value. I actually feel it's worth more than they charge. Very close to the SSA-E, but not quite, though it's more than forgivable at its price. Think of a budget Geissele.

SSA-E -9.5/10
    3lbs 9.6oz average. The gold standard in my book. As much of a "you get what you pay for" product as I can quantify. I paid $175 for mine. For most applications, not worth the $100 premium over the MBT, but it's everything I'm looking for in a non-adjustable match trigger for.a precision AR.
    I feel like you really start to pay for the quality of the second stage break once you move into the higher end triggers.

Just my humble $.02
    My MBT came in today. I concur with all of your above observations and will add the following:

The MBT is essentially identical in quality (though not necessarily in the character of the pull) to a Geissele G2S and damn close to an SSA. My duty rifle has an SSA-E and, as stated by taekwondo preacher, the SSA-E is still better. The reset is more crisp and sharp, the second stage is damn near perfect (and really IS perfect for a true combat trigger and all the toughness that implies). But, the MBT is a disproportionately good trigger for its price. It is indeed worth more than the current price of $87. The Sionics is inferior to the Larue in an absolute sense but it is still a very good value at roughly the same price. However, unless Sionics reduces their price by 20% or Larue increases theirs, the MBT is the no brainer of sub-$100 triggers. Period. End transmission.

And my impressions of the MBT (which have been still yet confirmed by this newest example) are based on my installing it BONE DRY. It came with a small portion of grease on the sear and hammer interface surfaces, but the entire trigger shoe and disconnector, along with all the pins, were installed BONE DRY. When I installed the Sionics, I basically over lubed it (all interface surfaces, both of the pins, pin holes in the lower, and pin bores in the trigger shoe and hammer), while I did none of that for the intial install of the MBT. With a small portion of Lucas Extreme gun oil applied via a needle oiler to the sear and disconnector (pins still bone dry), the MBT gets even better. And this is prior to any break in, just dry pulls in a lower.

Bottom line/TLDR: the MBT is better in every way and should cost more than it does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BufordTJustice; 03-05-19 at 19:47.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    No experience with those 3 but the Sionics Enhanced Mil-Spec trigger is great if you haven't seen those yet. I'll be using that trigger on all my future builds that need a GI type trigger.

It's nickel Teflon like the others. Buy the Lower Parts Kit - Enhanced (LPK-E) from them for $80 and you're basically getting a high quality lower parts kit for $15 bucks over the cost of what the triggers alone go for from BCM or ALG.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I put one of these in a rifle about a week ago. I’ve shot a few hundred rounds, and several dozen dry fire reps. Yesterday, I dry fired it side by side with a SSA, and later side by side with live ammo. Having read the earlier posts, I must assume that the Sionics 2 stage is inconsistent from model to model, because I love it. I actually prefer it to the SSA in my 16” lightweight carbine with Aimpoint.

Mine has no stacking in the first stage, and a well defined wall. Slight creep on the second stage. Resets crisply to the beginning of the second stage, so it feels like a decent single stage on follow up shots. Thats the part I really like about it, even though previous posters did not like the reset. It actually “feels” shorter in pull and reset than my SSA, but I have not attempted to measure the pull distances or weights. I also have not attempted to measure split time differences, so this is very subjective, and a sample of one SSA and one Sionics, which are the only 2 two stage triggers I have owned. All of my previous triggers that I have owned have been military, “mil-spec”, Hiperfire EDT2, and coated “mil-spec” triggers, such as ALG. All single stage except the aforementioned two. I’m no trigger snob, and lack experience with expensive triggers.

My takeaway is that the SSA may be better in some ways, but the Sionics two stage trigger, at least my one sample, works well for me in CQM type training, and is not a limiting factor when range increases. I’ll be trying another soon, and hoping for the same results.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    What is a 1005 trigger ? Could Sionics bought these 1005’s then NP3’d them ?

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 05-28-19 at 14:04.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    What is a 1005 trigger ? Could Sionics bought these 1005’s then NP3’d them ?

PB
    This: https://www.botach.com/1005-tactical...gger-assembly/
    Made by Schmidt tool. Multiple companies OEM it and sell under their brand name including Palmetto, DSG Arms, and etc.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Botach always gives me the heebiest of jeebies. Their customer service is legendary, and not in a good way.

I would also be concerned about the use of a nickel-boron coating, rather than an NP3 coating from Robar. Hydrogen embrittlement is a real issue with nickel-boron coatings, and is detrimental to service life for parts that are subject top impacts. A hammer, by definition, fits into that category.

No question that Schmid (no "t") makes good stuff, many people use them as the base for their triggers. http://www.schmidtool.com/cnc-machin...-industry.html

But an aftermarket process that reduces life gives me pause.

And Mistwolf is exactly right about digging a blown primer out of a cassette system, it's a real bear to attempt. That happens a lot more than people think, too. One slightly high powder charge will do it.

Hope that helps.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    This is the only thing I have ever bought from Sionics that I have been disappointed with and I ended up selling it. If I had known up front that it was a rebranded trigger from someone else I wouldn't have bought it. The best trigger in this price range that I have used so far is the LaRue MBT.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I would also be concerned about the use of a nickel-boron coating, rather than an NP3 coating from Robar. Hydrogen embrittlement is a real issue with nickel-boron coatings, and is detrimental to service life for parts that are subject top impacts. A hammer, by definition, fits into that category.
    Good point, and that goes partway to explaining why the ALG ACT has nickel boron on the trigger, and nickel teflon on the hammer. I’ll update this thread if I manage to break it or wear it out. Currently, its a fairly unproven part as far as durability goes. Perhaps it doesn’t belong in a duty weapon until there are some high mileage reports available.

I’d be interested in participation from Iraqgunz or SteveO in this thread to have some insight on the vetting Sionics did before selling these and what led them to the nickel boron coating.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Botach always gives me the heebiest of jeebies. Their customer service is legendary, and not in a good way.

No question that Schmid (no "t") makes good stuff, many people use them as the base for their triggers. http://www.schmidtool.com/cnc-machin...-industry.html

But an aftermarket process that reduces life gives me pause.

And Mistwolf is exactly right about digging a blown primer out of a cassette system, it's a real bear to attempt. That happens a lot more than people think, too. One slightly high powder charge will do it.

Hope that helps.
    But this is a trigger, not a hammer.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have the sionics trigger in an A2 stocked lower and a few MBT’s in other lowers. The MBT is better, but the sionics is no slouch. Short and light first stage, defined wall, crisp break.i used the included grease/lube and I like it. I think at $69.99 it’s fairly priced compared to the MBT

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast