Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Sionics Enhanced 2-Stage Trigger

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Under a surface microscope, the wear surfaces still look like any other nickel boron, so I don’t think there is any chipping or whatever. This includes those spots on the hammer face that look pitted and gouged, thanks to the suppressor and no-name shitty 9mm bolt. I’m not a metallurgist, but I have shot coated triggers until the coating was worn through (my record is ~1,000 dry/blank/live cycles) as a tester, and I know what the underlying steel looks like under 100x mag. This is not the case here. I’m looking at NiB.

The current ungreased pull weight is identical to what I posted here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...son&highlight= when it was new and greased. When I cleaned it last night, I used CLP and a nylon brush, so there’s probably traces of that on there, even though I wiped it off very thoroughly. I used no other solvents at any point in testing or cleaning, nor do I intend to.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post
    ** Edited - Strange issues with my posts disappearing in this thread today

So reading about the NP3 vs NiB (Nickel Boron), essentially the NiB finish that is applied to metal gets its "slickness" from many microscopic high points in the finish that create a low drag coefficient. However as that finish wears the high points down the surface area increases and the drag coefficient increases. This would mean a NiB trigger would actually get stickier and lose "slickness" as it breaks in, and that would continue to deteriorate over time. The opposite of every other normal trigger that gets better over time.

The "hydrogen embrittlement" thing basically is a symptom of the NiB treatment process that allows hydrogen to seep into the metal weakening it and allowing premature cracks and breaks that would otherwise not take place, especially in metal subject to impacts.

On paper the 10-05 2-Stage Trigger that Sionics and others sell looks kind of like a mess for those two reasons, while their "Enhanced Mil-spec Trigger" is Nickel PTFE (NP3) coated and would not have the same issues. I do not know if either of these two issues are measurable or something to worry about, although Robar says so since they are the NP3 people.
    Hydrogen embrittlement is remedied by baking after plating, just like chrome plating. not sure if they do it. I think you mean, friction coefficient, not drag coefficient. Yes, I know I'm very late to the party.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Is this the same trigger Centurion Arms sells here.
    Last edited by EzGoingKev; 10-21-22 at 13:38.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by EzGoingKev View Post
    Is this the same trigger Centurion Arms sells here.
    They both appear to be versions of the Schmid Tool 2-Stage Nickel Boron Plated Trigger.

FWIW, Forward Controls has the Schmid trigger at a pretty good price https://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.co...b-trigger.html

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 10-21-22 at 14:20.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    They both appear to be versions of the Schmid Tool 2-Stage Nickel Boron Plated Trigger.

FWIW, Forward Controls has the Schmid trigger at a pretty good price https://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.co...b-trigger.html

Andy
    Both Centurion's and Forward Controls triggers are made by Schmid. There has been some back and forth on the specs/pricing. Some have said they are the same as the enhanced trigger for more money and others have said no they are not.

Does anyone have any more info on these?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Under a surface microscope, the wear surfaces still look like any other nickel boron, so I don’t think there is any chipping or whatever. This includes those spots on the hammer face that look pitted and gouged, thanks to the suppressor and no-name shitty 9mm bolt. I’m not a metallurgist, but I have shot coated triggers until the coating was worn through (my record is ~1,000 dry/blank/live cycles) as a tester, and I know what the underlying steel looks like under 100x mag. This is not the case here. I’m looking at NiB.
    Pictures of something with an NiB coating?
    Last edited by DG23; 10-21-22 at 21:00.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    Pictures of something with an NiB coating?
    Had something to say before your edit?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Had something to say before your edit?
    but I have shot coated triggers until the coating was worn through (my record is ~1,000 dry/blank/live cycles) as a tester, and I know what the underlying steel looks like under 100x mag.
    Waiting for the pictures of worn through coatings.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    Waiting for the pictures of worn through coatings.
    Of triggers I signed an NDA to test? No. Go burn through some parts on your own.

Edit for clarity: NiB is not a coating that I’ve destroyed quickly. That is not what I intended to say. The coating I destroyed in 1k cycles is one that I don’t think is on the market today, for obvious reasons.
    Last edited by 1168; 10-25-22 at 08:44.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast