Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Request for 11.5" SBR Duty Ammo Recommendations.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Request for 11.5" SBR Duty Ammo Recommendations.

My Department recently acquired 11.5" Suppressed rifles and I need some help selecting our duty ammunition. The manufacturer suggested we stay with 556 pressure loads if possible. I have found the following and would like your opinion on them and any other suggestions you might have. (What your Department issues would be helpful also) I would also need a practice round equivalent.

1.) Hornady 75 Grain TAP SBR #81295 and its training ammo #81292
    2) Black Hills 50 Grain Barnes TSX and or the newer 62 Grain.
    3) Federal 62 Grain TBBC or similar since this appears to be very hard to find.

Thank you all for taking the time to help with your expertise.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    TAP SBR penetrates like a mother if you’re not very close. Once it loses steam it will not expand. Sage Dynamics has a video of such.

The BH50 and 62 are nice but $$$.

TBBC is very nice. If you’re a dept it shouldn’t be to hard to reach out to a distributor direct to get your supply. AE 62gr will do you for practice.

Speer Gold Dot in 62 & 75 are also worth looking at. American Eagle will also work for practice ammo.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    BH 50gr tsx
    Gold dot 62gr
    Not sure of tbbc expansion performance out of short barrels, if good, that is a good round.

Barrier performance is important for LE use, so I would stay away from otms and non-bonded rounds.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    BH 50gr tsx
    Gold dot 62gr
    Not sure of tbbc expansion performance out of short barrels, if good, that is a good round.

Barrier performance is important for LE use, so I would stay away from otms and non-bonded rounds.
    TBBC is gtg out of SBRs. Our dept tested it in .223 format.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    If you are told to use 5.56 for function issues, also look at 75gr gold dot. The pressure curve on it is more violent than m855a1 regarding cycling robustness. It will run a small port gun.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It looks like Speer 62grain has a lot of mentions here, I did not consider them, I will look into it.

Please keep the info coming in, the more the better. I will probably be ordering late next week. Anyone know what the current issue for FBI/DEA is? Whatever they are using would have been extensively tested. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Knorth View Post
    It looks like Speer 62grain has a lot of mentions here, I did not consider them, I will look into it.

Please keep the info coming in, the more the better. I will probably be ordering late next week. Anyone know what the current issue for FBI/DEA is? Whatever they are using would have been extensively tested. Thanks.

5.56 version of the 62gr TBBC. That one will be a little harder to find.

Are you buying in the retail market or are you going through your delta ammo vendor?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It will be a Department/Tax exempt purchase through State contract pricing or other authorized dealer.

I know the manufacturer recommended 556, but it seems the majority of viable options are .223. I can get Federal LE223T3 and the equivalent training round with no problem. What’s the opinion on performance anyone using that?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    It will be a Department/Tax exempt purchase through State contract pricing or other authorized dealer.

I know the manufacturer recommended 556, but it seems the majority of viable options are .223. I can get Federal LE223T3 and the equivalent training round with no problem. What’s the opinion on performance anyone using that?

It's an excellent round, accuracy is typically worse than gold dot, but i figure you're not using this for 300yd shots.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

j

Solid. That’s what we use. And no accuracy problems per se. it’s not like it’s a 4 moa round or anything.

I just shot sub 2 inch groups using an Eotech from the hundred yard line (16” and 11.5”). I’ll take that any day.
    Last edited by ggammell; 09-08-18 at 07:20.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast