Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My latest M4'gery

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)

My latest M4'gery

So I whipped this up a month or two ago, and I'm pretty proud of the results. I had been kicking around the idea of building a block II clone for quite some time, but I got tired of waiting on DD to release the RIS II for public consumption. So when I heard KAC was re-releasing their RAS MRE handguard, I quickly put my name on a waiting list, and snatched one up as soon as it became available. The rest of the parts are as follows: Noveske N4 receivers, Colt barrel, LMT enhanced bcg, LMT charging handle, CQD sling plate, LMT buffer tube, Colt LPK, Noveske takedown pins (they came with the receivers), Matech rear sight, P&S products buttstock, Tango Down vertical grip, Tango Down rail covers, CQD sling attachment point. For an optic I chose an Aimpoint PRO, which I installed in a Larue cantilever mount. I like how it moves the optic a tad forward to make room for an Aimpoint 3x-C, which I also installed in a Larue mount. Keeping with the old school style of the build, I mounted a Surefire 952V (not pictured) to the starboard side of the handguard. I chose what I consider top notch components, because I wanted to build the most durable carbine that I could. I've taken it to the range a few times now, and I'm very pleased with how this turned out. By the way, my Matech sight had the picatinny logo laser etched on the side of it, which in my opinion is not aesthetically pleasing. I hit the sight with some Aluma-Black, and returned it to a professional looking all black finish.

Last edited by Hammer_Man; 09-08-18 at 07:35.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    So when I heard KAC was re-releasing their RAS MRE handguard, I quickly put my name on a waiting list, and snatched one up as soon as it became available.
    Those babies are not cheap, nice build.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Those babies are not cheap, nice build.
    Thanks for the kind words! At the time I figured that if I was going to spend $500 on a handguard, then I I might as well buy a new KAC instead of a used DD. Probably not the most sound thinking, but I'm happy with how it turned out.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I'd be proud to own that! Great build Hammerman. Makes me think about doing one for myself.
    RealeyesRealizeRealLies

BCM 16" RECCE MK2 DkBrz, Custom Mk12 Mod1 built by Monty LeClair, 16" Middy w/ HCS RECCE barrel, A5, Young NM BCG, SSP, Geissele NM rail, Ops Inc., Super CH. 14.5" middy Noveske Afghan X3, 10.3" pistol DD barrell, Benelli M4, Ruger 10/22 w/Victor stock, GLOCK 17 Gen 4, Dan Wesson Valor Duty Coat, Dan Wesson Valor Blue, Dan Wesson Silverback 10mm, S&W 27 4"

B Co 4th502nd Inf Reg. '86-'90. 11b
    B Co 3rd187th InfReg. '90-'94. 11b
    Iron Rakkasans

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillB View Post
    I'd be proud to own that! Great build Hammerman. Makes me think about doing one for myself.
    Thanks Bill! It's by far my best work, very pleased with the results.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Good looking gun.

SOCOM or Government profile barrel?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Now add a Peq-2 and then you are good to go!

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WTF?Shane View Post
    Good looking gun.

SOCOM or Government profile barrel?
    Thanks! SOCOM profile currently, but I may swap in a govt. profile barrel in the future to help balance the rifle better.

Quote Originally Posted by ffhounddog View Post
    Now add a Peq-2 and then you are good to go!
    I've got a Dbal A3 stored away. Saving up for NODs currently.
    Last edited by Hammer_Man; 09-12-18 at 00:57.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    I decided to change things up a bit...

The KAC MRE is a tough solid rail, but when coupled with a SOCOM barrel it makes for a very heavy carbine. I decided to replace the MRE with a Geissele MK14, which I bought during Geissele's Black Friday sale. I kept the SOCOM barrel, and cut the FSB to make a low profile gas block. I cut the FSB with a 3" cut off wheel, and used a bench grinder to rough in the final shape. Finish work was performed using a hand file, and the exposed metal was treated with cold blue. Here is a pic of the finished product for those interested.

The Aimpoint PRO, and magnifier were swapped out for an ACOG RCO, which I installed in a GDI mount. Lastly, I replaced the KAC NT4 flash hider with a Surefire Warcomp, which I timed in the normal right hand configuration. The end result is a much lighter, and better balanced rifle. Future plans include a Scout 600 light, and a hand stop.
    Last edited by Hammer_Man; 01-04-19 at 21:28.

Feedback Score
    Awesome, im all for lightening up the front end. Nice build!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast