Thread: My latest M4'gery

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Time for another update... So this gun has morphed into a pseudo SPR/DMR rifle. It started when I swapped in an 18" DD S2W barrel with a rifle length gas system. I opted for the factory pinned low profile gas block, mostly to make sure it was impossible to install it incorrectly. However the gas block sits a bit crooked no matter how many times I try to clock it, and reinstall the pin. It still shoots great, and doesn't have any issues in regards to function, so it is what it is. The LMT enhanced bcg was designed for use with carbine gas systems, so it was moved to my other M4 build, and replaced with a DD chrome plated bcg. I wanted a more solid buttstock, as I didn't like how the SOPMOD would sometimes wobble on the reciever extension, so I replaced the whole assembly with a UBR 2.0. A Vltor A5 recoil system found its' way inside the new buffer tube, and really helped to smooth out the recoil impulse of this rifle. The QMS was relegated to the parts bin, being replaced by a Larue MBT trigger. For iron sights I installed a set of Dueck Defense offset sights. They seemed like the most robust offset sights out there, and as an added bonus they function like a pair of A2 sights. As a SPR type weapon, a bipod was needed, so I installed a Harris 9"-13" swivel unit. Unsatisfied with the factory lock assembly, I installed a Podloc lever, and mounted the whole assembly to a Badger Ordnance M-lok bipod mount. Lastly, I didn't want to break the bank (in this case credit card) purchasing an optic, so I bought a Leupold VX-R patrol 3-9 from Sportsman's (which they are clearing out at $100 off) mounted in a Leupold mk2 mount. For a $500 scope it works great.

I'm really pleased with the way this turned out. Compared to my mk12 build, this gun is lighter, better balanced, and just as soft shooting. The scope works for my current skill set, and will eventually get a killflash and flip caps. I may swap out the bipod for the shorter 6"-9" version of the same thing. The 9"-13" model can be too long for some of the indoor ranges I visit. A Specwar 556K or SOCOM mini may be in the future, but that depends on how well things go at work the rest of the year. This thing is definitely more accurate than I am, and I look forward to taking it out to 500 meters at the local outdoor range once things warm up. The original barrel will eventually be sent to Adco to be cut down to 11.5", and installed in a future pistol build.

If you made it this far, I apologize for the unfancy iPotato pic. I spend my money on gun parts, and a fancy camera is not a priority in my life right now. Not to say that can't change, as I aspire to be a third rate wedding photographer someday.
    Last edited by Hammer_Man; 03-31-19 at 03:04.