Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My latest M4'gery

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Time for another update... So this gun has morphed into a pseudo SPR/DMR rifle. It started when I swapped in an 18" DD S2W barrel with a rifle length gas system. I opted for the factory pinned low profile gas block, mostly to make sure it was impossible to install it incorrectly. However the gas block sits a bit crooked no matter how many times I try to clock it, and reinstall the pin. It still shoots great, and doesn't have any issues in regards to function, so it is what it is. The LMT enhanced bcg was designed for use with carbine gas systems, so it was moved to my other M4 build, and replaced with a DD chrome plated bcg. I wanted a more solid buttstock, as I didn't like how the SOPMOD would sometimes wobble on the reciever extension, so I replaced the whole assembly with a UBR 2.0. A Vltor A5 recoil system found its' way inside the new buffer tube, and really helped to smooth out the recoil impulse of this rifle. The QMS was relegated to the parts bin, being replaced by a Larue MBT trigger. For iron sights I installed a set of Dueck Defense offset sights. They seemed like the most robust offset sights out there, and as an added bonus they function like a pair of A2 sights. As a SPR type weapon, a bipod was needed, so I installed a Harris 9"-13" swivel unit. Unsatisfied with the factory lock assembly, I installed a Podloc lever, and mounted the whole assembly to a Badger Ordnance M-lok bipod mount. Lastly, I didn't want to break the bank (in this case credit card) purchasing an optic, so I bought a Leupold VX-R patrol 3-9 from Sportsman's (which they are clearing out at $100 off) mounted in a Leupold mk2 mount. For a $500 scope it works great.

I'm really pleased with the way this turned out. Compared to my mk12 build, this gun is lighter, better balanced, and just as soft shooting. The scope works for my current skill set, and will eventually get a killflash and flip caps. I may swap out the bipod for the shorter 6"-9" version of the same thing. The 9"-13" model can be too long for some of the indoor ranges I visit. A Specwar 556K or SOCOM mini may be in the future, but that depends on how well things go at work the rest of the year. This thing is definitely more accurate than I am, and I look forward to taking it out to 500 meters at the local outdoor range once things warm up. The original barrel will eventually be sent to Adco to be cut down to 11.5", and installed in a future pistol build.

If you made it this far, I apologize for the unfancy iPotato pic. I spend my money on gun parts, and a fancy camera is not a priority in my life right now. Not to say that can't change, as I aspire to be a third rate wedding photographer someday.
    Last edited by Hammer_Man; 03-31-19 at 03:04.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    I decided to change things up a bit...

The KAC MRE is a tough solid rail, but when coupled with a SOCOM barrel it makes for a very heavy carbine. I decided to replace the MRE with a Geissele MK14, which I bought during Geissele's Black Friday sale. I kept the SOCOM barrel, and cut the FSB to make a low profile gas block. I cut the FSB with a 3" cut off wheel, and used a bench grinder to rough in the final shape. Finish work was performed using a hand file, and the exposed metal was treated with cold blue. Here is a pic of the finished product for those interested.

The Aimpoint PRO, and magnifier were swapped out for an ACOG RCO, which I installed in a GDI mount. Lastly, I replaced the KAC NT4 flash hider with a Surefire Warcomp, which I timed in the normal right hand configuration. The end result is a much lighter, and better balanced rifle. Future plans include a Scout 600 light, and a hand stop.
    That looks like a Delton (OH MY GOD!!! FORBIDDEN FOOOORBIDDENNN!!) barrel I got from one of our SME's. You did a good job on cutting that FSP down. Also what a megatron of a rifle.

Thought you were hiding that dillo dust, but I dun seent it! I seent it! Nice looking rifle. Did you weigh to determine weight savings by chance?

I alway thought it interesting how easy it is to change the look and configuration of an AR, the modularity of the weapon system really shines, when it went from I used one of those, (almost, no optics on my M4) to a sleek, modern rifle.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    That looks like a Delton (OH MY GOD!!! FORBIDDEN FOOOORBIDDENNN!!) barrel I got from one of our SME's. You did a good job on cutting that FSP down. Also what a megatron of a rifle.

Thought you were hiding that dillo dust, but I dun seent it! I seent it! Nice looking rifle. Did you weigh to determine weight savings by chance?

I alway thought it interesting how easy it is to change the look and configuration of an AR, the modularity of the weapon system really shines, when it went from I used one of those, (almost, no optics on my M4) to a sleek, modern rifle.
    Robert, good to see you back. I didn't weigh it before or after, but it definitely felt lighter and better balanced afterward. I definitely took a leap of faith cutting the FSP down, but it was the only way to move forward with the project. It honestly wasn't that bad.

The latest configuration still feels lighter than the SOCOM barrel/MRE combo despite the 18" barrel. I specifically chose the UBR stock to help it feel more balanced, and I'm pretty happy with the results. I still have one M4 style clone, but the rest of my guns are going to have longer barrels with rifle length gas systems. I just like the way the full sized rifles shoot better than I do the carbines.

Concerning modularity, I firmly believe the AR is the grown man's Lego set. We are living in good times with all the quality parts on the market.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Robert, good to see you back. I didn't weigh it before or after, but it definitely felt lighter and better balanced afterward. I definitely took a leap of faith cutting the FSP down, but it was the only way to move forward with the project. It honestly wasn't that bad.

The latest configuration still feels lighter than the SOCOM barrel/MRE combo despite the 18" barrel. I specifically chose the UBR stock to help it feel more balanced, and I'm pretty happy with the results. I still have one M4 style clone, but the rest of my guns are going to have longer barrels with rifle length gas systems. I just like the way the full sized rifles shoot better than I do the carbines.

Concerning modularity, I firmly believe the AR is the grown man's Lego set. We are living in good times with all the quality parts on the market.
    Thanks Hammer, I did take a bit of a hiatus for a while. Just been super busy with work and other things. I know what you mean about building a balanced rifle. My precision 308 I built weighed less than an SPR of the same barrel length. That blew my mind. It’s all about configuration. I weighed the two and my 308 was right st 2 lb. lighter w/out a loaded mag) I don’t normally place weight at the top of my priorityl when building an AR, but it was interesting to see the difference between the two. In the end though it it all fleshed out just due to the extra weight of the 308 mags in my cheer rig.
    I’m also be fan of the rifle gas AR’s. My last AR-10 had a 16” barrel with rifle gas (cut down from 18” and I was so sold on how that shot, that I will run that same barrel/gas system if I do another 16”. I’ve been thinking about building another 308, I just haven’t settled on the purpose, and without that I’d end up wasting money. I also recently picked up an upper with an FSP. I’d my first FSP upper since I was issued an M4 back in the day. I’m looking forward to running it to see if I still like it or if I want to either cut it down or pull it and install a lo-pro GB. I’ll just have to wait and give it a go. What made you decide to cut it down rather than pulling it installing a lo-pro gas block? Thanks again for the welcome. It’s good to be back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    Thanks Hammer, I did take a bit of a hiatus for a while. Just been super busy with work and other things. I know what you mean about building a balanced rifle. My precision 308 I built weighed less than an SPR of the same barrel length. That blew my mind. It’s all about configuration. I weighed the two and my 308 was right st 2 lb. lighter w/out a loaded mag) I don’t normally place weight at the top of my priorityl when building an AR, but it was interesting to see the difference between the two. In the end though it it all fleshed out just due to the extra weight of the 308 mags in my cheer rig.
    I’m also be fan of the rifle gas AR’s. My last AR-10 had a 16” barrel with rifle gas (cut down from 18” and I was so sold on how that shot, that I will run that same barrel/gas system if I do another 16”. I’ve been thinking about building another 308, I just haven’t settled on the purpose, and without that I’d end up wasting money. I also recently picked up an upper with an FSP. I’d my first FSP upper since I was issued an M4 back in the day. I’m looking forward to running it to see if I still like it or if I want to either cut it down or pull it and install a lo-pro GB. I’ll just have to wait and give it a go. What made you decide to cut it down rather than pulling it installing a lo-pro gas block? Thanks again for the welcome. It’s good to be back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I understand taking a break from things. It's really important to have balance in life, even between hobbies. In regards to the FSP I cut down, I decided to go that route because the grooves for the taper pins were already drilled, and it didn't make sense to me to install a low pro gas block over them. I also knew that using the FSP (albeit modified) would create the most secure gas system possible. I never tried it before, so I figured I'd give it a go and see how good I could do with the limited tools and experience I had. I think it turned out pretty good.

If I needed a gun to carry, I think a lightweight bare bones M4 would be great. However, I don't enjoy shooting the carbines like I do the M16. (By the way you should check out my A2 build elsewhere in the custom build section. I know, shameless plug) That being said, I don't plan to get rid of or change my M4 clone, as I still like it and I can use it for a training weapon. And let's face it, a bad day at the range with a carbine beats a day at work
    Last edited by Hammer_Man; 04-02-19 at 10:10.

Feedback Score
    Looks great 👍

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjoe7757 View Post
    Looks great ��
    Thanks!

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I like it at each iteration, you have good taste obviously.

Feedback Score
    I decided to change things up a bit...

The KAC MRE is a tough solid rail, but when coupled with a SOCOM barrel it makes for a very heavy carbine. I decided to replace the MRE with a Geissele MK14, which I bought during Geissele's Black Friday sale. I kept the SOCOM barrel, and cut the FSB to make a low profile gas block. I cut the FSB with a 3" cut off wheel, and used a bench grinder to rough in the final shape. Finish work was performed using a hand file, and the exposed metal was treated with cold blue. Here is a pic of the finished product for those interested.

The Aimpoint PRO, and magnifier were swapped out for an ACOG RCO, which I installed in a GDI mount. Lastly, I replaced the KAC NT4 flash hider with a Surefire Warcomp, which I timed in the normal right hand configuration. The end result is a much lighter, and better balanced rifle. Future plans include a Scout 600 light, and a hand stop.
    Absolutely my favorite low profile gas block. I prefer making one from a fsb over everything else for the double pin and steel construction.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigshoe83 View Post
    I like it at each iteration, you have good taste obviously.
    Thanks bigshoe83, I try to use quality stuff. It's my build, so in a way my name is on the final product. If it sucks, it's because I suck.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjoe7757 View Post
    Absolutely my favorite low profile gas block. I prefer making one from a fsb over everything else for the double pin and steel construction.
    Yeah, I wanted to build a bomb proof carbine, and I believe I succeeded with that one. I just wish I had access to Parkerizing materials so I could make it look prettier. I still want to send that barrel out to get cut down to 11.5" for an HD pistol build I have in mind, but that will have to wait till next year.
    Last edited by Hammer_Man; 05-10-19 at 18:47.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast