Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dumb Question: Browning Buckmark vs Ruger Mk4 22/45

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)

Dumb Question: Browning Buckmark vs Ruger Mk4 22/45

I'm probably going to pick one of these two up. I find myself wanting to shoot more often for less money, helping new people shoot, etc, and a 22 pistol would do pretty nice for all this. (Plus I dont own a 22lr pistol, so I guess there's that...)

Is there any need-to-know info about either one that sets one above the other? These two come to mind:

https://ruger.com/products/markIV224...ets/43917.html

https://www.browning.com/products/fi...blue-lite.html

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    For the intended purpose, both the Buck Mark and Mark IV will do well. I personally prefer a handgun used for target shooting to have more weight than the ones you linked, especially for new shooters.

I've got both a blued Mark IV Target and a Camper URX. With aftermarket fire control parts and fiber optic sights, they are very comparable in performance.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    grizzman's on track here. I just got a regular Mark IV, preferring that over the 22/45. Regular one has a bull barrel and a lot more weight for steadier handling.

Ruger Mark IV is called "Target," but isn't out of the box. I sent it to Volquartsen for a trigger. And I got rid of the thin plastic stocks, and got proper target ones. I now have about $700 invested in it, but it's super cool.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    OP are you set on the two choices you named? Because the M&P 22 Compact is worth a look, I just got into the training-with-rimfire game myself and I went with the M&P 22 Compact and I love it so far.

Feedback Score
    Have no experience with the Ruger but I did just sell my Buckmark. Replaced it with the S&W Victory.

The Buckmark was a fine shooter but needed to be taken apart with a screwdriver for real cleaning. Well, so does the Victory but the Buckmark has little screws and lockwashers which must not be "misplaced" or the gun does not go back together.

The Victory comes with a Pic-rail to attach to the receiver. I put a cheap red-dot sight on it and it is loads of fun and good training for more serious pistols and their more advanced red-dots. I confess to be on a bit of a red-dot binge now.

Bart Noir

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've no experience with the Buckmark, but I own an older .22/45, and it has been 100% reliable (a few failures to fire from bad .22 primers) and is very accurate, although the Ruger is finicky about reassembly. OP, are you wanting a plinker/range toy, or are you wanting to train with a .22? I have a .22 conversion for SIG P226's, and I think you ought to look into a conversion for, or dedicated .22 version of, your primary handgun if you want to train with a .22.

But, every gun owner ought to have a .22lr pistol & rifle, IMHO, just for the fun of shooting a .22lr.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    LMT Shooter-Primary long term intentions are for a fun, RDS equipped, suppressed range toy that I will enjoy shooting. That it's useful for varmints, etc is a plus. It's not a trainer in true form because I'm not looking to mimick the weight and feel of any other particular firearm. When I'm working on something specific, I will run through it a few times with a 22lr as a demonstration for fellow shooters, or so fellow shooters can try something before burning their more expensive ammo up. I'll often run a rifle stage with a 10/22w/RDS to show people what something should look like, then have them try it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Gotcha, I should add that I clean my Ruger once every 5-10 years, whether it needs it or not, so it's not a high-maintenance gun. I do dump in lots of lube between cleaning, but not every time I shoot it. I can't imagine how anyone could not be happy with a Ruger, but the Browning may be excellent as well.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The take down goes to Ruger for sure. But I’ve been shooting a buck mark for a long time and the only negative thing I can say is taking the slide off requires tools. But they have great triggers and are very accurate and mine has ben very reliable. But can’t go wrong with either.

Ed

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I have a 22/45 with the bull barrel. I also have an M&P 22 compact for my son. I greatly prefer the 22/45 and shoot it much better. I think partly due to the heavier weight and I really dislike the hinged m&p trigger. .22 pistols are tons of fun and cheap to shoot. We shoot them suppressed on a dueling tree. Everyone I take shooting loves how quiet and comfortable it is to shoot them. Especially new shooters.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast