Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reloading for rifle: Powder measures

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CDR_Glock View Post
    These insights raise another question for me on my Turret use. Should I mount a powder measure onto the turret or should I mount it onto my bench/desk?
    I wouldn't mount it to the press, you will be disturbing the powder stack in the measure, which will make it nearly impossible to get consistent results.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have an old RCBS Uniflow. It is very accurate with ball powders, works pretty good with flake/short cut extruded powders (IE 8208 XBR), and is still not half bad for long grain extruded powders like H4895 and Varget. It still throws +/- 0.2 gr despite occasionally cutting grains.

I hear the Lee Perfect measure actually works extremely well with long grain extruded powders, as it has "wipes" inside. I have been meaning to give it a try.

While I have wanted to get a much more accurate measuring method, IE a Chargemaster, I don't have too much trouble with making 223 and 308 ammo that holds in the 1.25-1.5 MOA range out to 800 yds. This is plenty good enough for banging steel and not worth the time, effort, and $$$ for me to go further. I am sure I have the occasional miss due to some vertical dispersion but I only shoot semi-autos and they just aren't bench guns either.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I still have the Herrels measure to work on. We want to run H4350 in it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CDR_Glock View Post
    So I have a turret press that I’ll be using for reloading my rifle...

I’m limited by my range distance of 250 yards.

I have a Dillon RL550B, and I can't shoot past 300yds, and I was planning to just use the Dillon powder measure...

Doesn't your turret press come with a powder measure?

Feedback Score
    Use an ole RCBS Duo-measure the most, meters well. Got Uni-flows, Old Lyman 55, Redding
    the Harrell's measures are great but $$$. Scales have to go old school beam Ohaus 10-10,
    RCBS 10-10, Lyman M5 basically the same scale all made in USA, do have a Digital but mainly
    use the beams especially the ones tuned by Scott Parker, also pick up a good set of "check
    weights", as far as "fix" for not seeing to well, use a old smart phones camera then connect it
    via USB to a computer / tablet / laptop or buy a "cheap" USB camera connect it to the device
    of choice or a "cheap" bore site camera (Amazon) you can use it as a powder check also so it's
    not limited to one task.

-Rock

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    I have a Dillon RL550B, and I can't shoot past 300yds, and I was planning to just use the Dillon powder measure...

Doesn't your turret press come with a powder measure?
    It did not come with a powder measure.

I acquired a Hornady that I have a mount installed onto the desk.

Ok, so I organized everything, finally. Now I can see when I’m running low on components.

I put all Brass, primers, and bullets next to each press. The primer tubes in the center with the primer tray. The manual is on the edge of the bench. I have others to put there, too (Hornady, Speer, and Lyman).

The tumblers are on the ground since one time it tumbled off of the bench. I decided it was best to put them in a corner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jack crab View Post
    For years, I used RCBS powder measures and scales. However, a month or so back, I purchased the RCBS Chargmaster Lite.

For several uses, awesome. Superperformance and Reloder 16 were spot on. H4350 had a struggle. But, over/under charges go back in the hopper. Over about 500 rounds, it had about a 20% missed weight.

Then, sadness. I plugged it in last week. Gave it the 25 minute warm up, and it is essentially a random number generator. The displays just rolls up and down with varying weights. I thought maybe it was a one time event. But, it persists after 3 tries a couple days apart.

So, back to RCBS it goes tomorrow.

UPDATE:
    Fortunately, I did not get around to sending it back before calling RCBS customer support.

The person I spoke to said that random fluctuations are caused by a build up of static electricity. She said to wipe everything down with a anti-static dryer sheet.

I did. It solved the problem. Back in business. The only down side is whatever is in the sheets has left a film on everything.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I’ve had a Lock-N-Load for about a year now, I’m a big fan. No issues with multiple types of powders. I think it would suit your purposes if you’re still considering it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12