Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Balto County Md FNS-40 having issues

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Balto County Md FNS-40 having issues

The teaser leading up to the interview last night, talked about FNS-40 issues, including the trigger. During the interview with the chief, the trigger issue wasn't addressed.

Interview & Story on local TV:

He notes how a member of the firearm's committee first claimed no unanticipated malfunctions occurred but later revealed that during a 3,000 round test, the FNS had failed to feed after 2200 rounds. A failure the colonel later calls "significant given the other two guns, Glock and Smith and Wesson did not experience similar malfunctions."

http://foxbaltimore.com/news/feature...l#.VFjEhsl5stU

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Update: Issues with the firing pin walking, Balto County have decided to drop the FN NFS40 LS In January 2019 for Glock 17 Gen 5.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by platoonDaddy View Post
    Update: Issues with the firing pin walking, Balto County have decided to drop the FN NFS40 LS In January 2019 for Glock 17 Gen 5.
    Smart move.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I talked to their firearms guy who ran the testing back in 2015. They were quite pleased with the FNS40 at the time. It is amazing what crops up once you begin general issue to everyone. I believe Baltimore,MD and Columbia, SC were the only two large departments to adopt the FNS. Both now dropped it. David

Feedback Score
    Any details regarding the reason for the change, platoonDaddy?

Hillsborough County (FL) Sheriff's Office adopted the FNS-9 about three years ago while Arizona DPS went with the .40 version. My former department (which can't be termed large) also went with the FNS-9. We had significant reliability issues with Weapon-mounted lights which were finally resolved when FN replaced the barrels and magazines. That largely corrected that issue, but other problems continue.

Feedback Score
    FN America issued a service bulletin which warns that FNS pistols may hang fire if the slide is pushed slightly out of battery and that the tap/rack/up drill should be avoided.

https://fnamerica.com/customer-suppo...vice-bulletin/

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    FNS having issues?

No way.

I love FN rifles, their pistols I wouldn't carry if you paid me unless it was a High Power in 9MM.

Feedback Score
    At the height of our FNS issues, I did consider suggesting that we ask FN America to trade them for High Powers.

Perhaps that's why they forced me to retire.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    FNS having issues?

No way.

I love FN rifles, their pistols I wouldn't carry if you paid me unless it was a High Power in 9MM.
    Right! So what do they do? Stop making the P-35 of course....

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitehorne View Post
    I talked to their firearms guy who ran the testing back in 2015. They were quite pleased with the FNS40 at the time. It is amazing what crops up once you begin general issue to everyone. I believe Baltimore,MD and Columbia, SC were the only two large departments to adopt the FNS. Both now dropped it. David
    So true. The guys that train with them a lot will induce real-world issues and the booger-eaters will induce the "no normal human being could reproduce the conditions that led to that" kind of failures.

Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
    FN America issued a service bulletin which warns that FNS pistols may hang fire if the slide is pushed slightly out of battery and that the tap/rack/up drill should be avoided.
    Wow, that's kind of a big deal...don't perform a regular malfunction drill if the gun malfunctions.
    Last edited by sundance435; 12-11-18 at 13:25.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast