Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P30L vs P09

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

P30L vs P09

Anyone have good experience with both? I'd like to know how they compare with accuracy, recoil, recovery, etc. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have a P30 V1 LEM

I also have a P09 with the CGW trigger in it.

While they are COMPLETELY different guns, they are both fantastic. I cant say I have put enough rounds through the P09 to torture test it, but I dont think its ever been cleaned, so probably 1500-2000 rounds through it total.

The accuracy of the P30 is outstanding as expected.

The accuracy of the P09 is also, and always to my shock, outstanding, especially for a 379 dollar gun(or whatever it cost). The P09 runs with my USP Expert in the accuracy realm at least out to 15 yards.

The P30 is FAR more ergonomic, better switch positions, etc... The P09 is not ergonomic. Things like the safety and de-cocker are horrible.

The sights on the P09 are a bit short for my liking, but they are usable just fine.

If I could only have one, its P30 all the way, every day and twice on Sundays...

BUT variety is the spice of life so my advice is buy both...
    Last edited by rjacobs; 10-08-18 at 17:44.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thank you sir! Ever shoot an L?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    nope never shot an L.

Im pretty sure the P30 and the P09 are about the same size, but maybe the P09 is longer barrel than the P30.

Like I said the ergo's and H&K reputation makes me push you towards the P30 of the CZ P09, unless, again like I said, you can buy both.

IF you buy a P09, you HAVE to buy the trigger kit, firing pin, etc... from CGW. The trigger is FANTASTIC.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Truth be told: I have some P09s and P07s, and I shot a P30 beside my P07 and they felt similar in recoil. The P09 is larger than the P30 or P30L, but was wondering about the P30L in terms of recoil management and weight. Some at HK forum said the P30L was NOTICEABLY better in recoil than the P30 - and I can say that the P09 is better than the P07 for certain. The P30L is likely carry-able and can be loaded with a 20 round magazine. Varety can be good.

Also, I normally do a CGW springing and SRK job to my CZs. I feel like the P30 series only needs a mainspring change. True?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m4brian View Post
    I feel like the P30 series only needs a mainspring change. True?
    I personally only run V1 light LEM triggers in my HK's except for my USP Expert. I have no real clue about HK DA/SA trigger springs.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Maybe I found an answer (sort of):

"Like others have mention the P09/P07 are a newer design and utilize proprietary magazines.

I will say that the P09 is the softest shooting CZ that I own and that kinda irritates me. I have a Shadow Custom ($1200) and my $450 P09 has less muzzle flip when shooting.

If you are a reloader then understand the P series guns have extremely short throats and it’s a PITA to load 147 grain Bullets short enough. "
    From an old thread.

Feedback Score
    Anyone have good experience with both? I'd like to know how they compare with accuracy, recoil, recovery, etc. Thanks.
    M4brian,

I have both the P30L and the P09, both in 9x19. I love shooting both, but the P30L gets the duty for my concealed handgun of choice. The way the grip is contoured (with small side panels and medium back strap) helps with it not printing much. The grip length is very close to a G19 with standard magazines inserted.

My P09 is my car/truck pistol due to its 19 rnd magazine, and the longer grip prevents me from carrying it concealed. For open carry, its fine.

Accuracy - My P30L wins in accuracy hands down, but the P09 is close. With my preferred defensive ammo: Winchester 127 T-Series +P+ my P30L attains 1.65 - 1.72" groups at 25 yards vs my P09 hits at 1.9 - 2.2" groups at 25.

Recoil and recovery: They are pretty close to each other. On certain days, the P09 is a little faster. The P30L does have a weird counter weight on the recoil system that may help in recoil recovery...I guess.

I have shot over 5K rounds through both of them and so far, reliability has been 100%.

The trigger: I know CGW has trigger kits for the P09 and they feel fantastic. The HKs, you may send it to Gray guns Lazy Wolf for trigger work in order for a nicer trigger feel. But, I run my P30L and P09 stock. The P30L's trigger is heavy (10 lbs), but smooth in DA, and SA hits at 4.6 lbs. People complain about the P30Ls long reset, but with enough rounds through it, you can shoot it fast and accurately.

My P09s trigger was a bit stagey and the SA was ok at first, but it broke in fine.

My P30L is a German made gun and I did pay $860 (new) for it 4 years back. While my P09, I paid $450 ish new. The ergos (like the magazine release, grip feel and controls) won me over to chose the P30L as my go to defensive pistol, but the P09 is no slouch too. For the price of a new P09, its cheap enough to buy one, after buying the P30L.

I still want to try the newer and cheaper P30Ls and compare them to my older one.

Hope this helps.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Shimikaze thanks! Instructive post;
    Funny how today drawing and hitting with the p07 was a bit easier than my SR P09; sometimes smaller is quicker.

Feedback Score
    Shimikaze thanks! Instructive post;
    Funny how today drawing and hitting with the p07 was a bit easier than my SR P09; sometimes smaller is quicker.
    The shorter P07 does have its place. I dig mine also. I did have some issues with the firing pin tip breaking off. CZ did fix it for free.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast