View Poll Results: How many rounds are you comfortable with IN your daily, public, non-issued sidearm?

Voters
176. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 rounds

21 11.93%
  • 6 rounds

6 3.41%
  • 7-10 rounds

78 44.32%
  • 11-13 rounds

18 10.23%
  • 14-16 rounds

41 23.30%
  • 17+ rounds

12 6.82%
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: How many rounds are you comfortable with in a carry pistol?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HeruMew View Post

All this talk about spare mags and capacity. Who all carries a BUG?
    I do. I don't think of it as much as a "backup" gun as I do a "second gun". It may be drawn first depending on the scenario.

Feedback Score
    Depends. If it’s broad daylight in a low crime area, I’m usually ok with 7+1. If it’s any/all/combo of night, high-crime area, or high-population density area, I bring 15+1.

Feedback Score
    I usually carry a Shield .45 with 6 +1. I feel comfortable with that. Same with my Shield 9mm with a Magguts +2 kit. Gives me 10 rounds with very little added length on the grip.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Depends. If it’s broad daylight in a low crime area, I’m usually ok with 7+1. If it’s any/all/combo of night, high-crime area, or high-population density area, I bring 15+1.

Where I'm at, there ain't no low-crime area. Carjackings, gunfights, robberies, all happen in broad daylight. I'm now packing 18 + 17 in the pistol, with an assault rifle in the car.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    How many rounds am I comfortable with in my carry pistol?

All of them.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    Where I'm at, there ain't no low-crime area. Carjackings, gunfights, robberies, all happen in broad daylight. I'm now packing 18 + 17 in the pistol, with an assault rifle in the car.
    Have you considered moving?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MadAngler1 View Post
    I wouldn’t want anything less than 8, as in a 1911 in .45 ACP. These days, I carry a Glock 19 or 26 with 14 or 11 rounds in either mag (I download by 1 and carry condition 3).

If you don’t carry with one in the chamber, why carry at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by redpillregret View Post
    If you don’t carry with one in the chamber, why carry at all?
    I hope it's not because, you know, Israeli...

The fun starts around 1:40ish https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGD2j9ks38g

Pre-Mossad Modified Draw, the goodness starts at 2:10ish https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnV6fobmAPM

Seriously, I can see where some folks might opt to carry 'condition 3' after giving it some thought -

One example might be if you are carrying in an environment where you have periodically shuck your pistol and leave the pistol in a vehicle, desk, or other place unattended. Condition 3 would negate the constant chambering and unchambering of a round, which as we all know, after numerous reps can lead to misfires.

I can also see where someone who decides they need to carry AIWB might desire to carry 'condition 3.' Actually the first Israeli Draw video I saw was a demo of a guy carrying a Hi-Power (IIRC) AIWB.

I you decide you need to carry your pistol in a Serpa holster you probably should consider 'condition 3' carry.

In all seriousness, if after careful consideration someone decides 'condition 3' is best for them, if isn't too hard to sacrifice some speed on presentation for chambering.

The dangers/downsides of this are obviously failures to feed. For example, a round nosing into the feedramp, or the slide failing to go all the way into battery, would be common concerns in my view.

IMO if you are going to carry 'condition 3' it should be a fulltime deal with all pistols. This is simply because pistols are designed to eject spent cases, not live rounds, and ejecting a live round during the draw would be an exercise fraught with potential for malfunction, IMO.

Personally, I don't see my ability to draw and fire two rounds on top of each other in under 1.5, as the likely difference between my survival or demise when carrying concealed, but it is nice to have that option. I think you are giving that up with 'condition 3' carry.

JMO

Sorry for the detour!
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 10-08-18 at 11:24.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I hope it's not because, you know, Israeli...

The fun starts around 1:40ish https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGD2j9ks38g

Pre-Mossad Modified Draw, the goodness starts at 2:10ish https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnV6fobmAPM

Seriously, I can see where some folks might opt to carry 'condition 3' after giving it some thought -

One example might be if you are carrying in an environment where you have periodically shuck your pistol and leave the pistol in a vehicle, desk, or other place unattended. Condition 3 would negate the constant chambering and unchambering of a round, which as we all know, after numerous reps can lead to misfires.

I can also see where someone who decides they need to carry AIWB might desire to carry 'condition 3.' Actually the first Israeli Draw video I saw was a demo of a guy carrying a Hi-Power (IIRC) AIWB.

I you decide you need to carry your pistol in a Serpa holster you probably should consider 'condition 3' carry.

In all seriousness, if after careful consideration someone decides 'condition 3' is best for them, if isn't too hard to sacrifice some speed on presentation for chambering.

The dangers/downsides of this are obviously failures to feed. For example, a round nosing into the feedramp, or the slide failing to go all the way into battery, would be common concerns in my view.

IMO if you are going to carry 'condition 3' it should be a fulltime deal with all pistols. This is simply because pistols are designed to eject spent cases, not live rounds, and ejecting a live round during the draw would be an exercise fraught with potential for malfunction, IMO.

Personally, I don't see my ability to draw and fire two rounds on top of each other in under 1.5, as the likely difference between my survival or demise when carrying concealed, but it is nice to have that option. I think you are giving that up with 'condition 3' carry.

JMO

Sorry for the detour!
    A day of combatives or force on force would change one’s mind quickly. The gun becomes quite useless quickly.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Business_Casual View Post
    Have you considered moving?
    Well he is carrying an "Assault rifle" in his car. so he's strapped.

Quote Originally Posted by redpillregret View Post
    A day of combatives or force on force would change one’s mind quickly. The gun becomes quite useless quickly.

When I first started carrying I thought that carrying one in the chamber was Tier 1 stuff and that I would not be safe doing it. A few training classes later, and I cannot fathom not carrying one in the chamber. YMMV.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast