Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Building an AR10?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Building an AR10?

I've been thinking about building an AR10. I know my LGS has a Noveske upper / lower in stock ...Mega.....
    What are the big watchouts or decisions one must make? Robert the Texan and others have built their own here. I'm just in research mode

What barrel do you go for?
    What mfg make good barrels ?
    Adjustable gas blocks for AR10's?
    What rail or who makes AR10 rails ?

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    This rail

IMG_2109.JPG

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you stick to standard manufacturers, it's only a bit more complex than assembling an AR15. Using a 308 parts kit from the receiver manufacturer is an easy way to ensure that it's got the right...parts.

I personally chose a Faxon Big Gunner for a lighter weight upper and a Ballistic Advantage Government one cause I found it cheap.

Without knowing the purpose of the rifle, I can't exactly make recommendations for a barrel, but Criterion is an option I've considered a few times.

My three uppers run fine with standard gas blocks, but a good adjustable one shouldn't cause any issues.

Handguard options is one area where the 308 is a bit lacking, but you should be able to come up with one you like. A quick visit to Rainier arms will show you most of what's available, with the exception of Aero.

Feedback Score
    Along with BA and Faxon, Criterion and Rainier make accurate ar10 barrels as well.

No experience with the BA barrels but I know Robert the Texan had had some really good success with them

Feedback Score
    JP High Pressure bolt is a must.. Well in my opinion it is :-)
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
    Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/mark_twain_386139

Feedback Score
    When searching for a lower to base a build off. and you're not made of money, are there any options out there that are reliable without being LMT pricey? I was looking at an Aero Precision M5 lower.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Both Mega and Aero are solid lower receiver options.

I was initially going to get a Mega, and hadn't really thought too much about Aero's receivers. Finding an Aero lower/M5 upper set for a ridiculous price changed that plan quickly. I've been completely satisfied with them, and assembled the M5E1 upper not too long after.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

Building an AR10?

Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I've been thinking about building an AR10. I know my LGS has a Noveske upper / lower in stock ...Mega.....
    What are the big watchouts or decisions one must make? Robert the Texan and others have built their own here. I'm just in research mode

What barrel do you go for?
    What mfg make good barrels ?
    Adjustable gas blocks for AR10's?
    What rail or who makes AR10 rails ?

PB
    Hey PB,

You are probably on the right track with the Noveske upper Mega lower as they both have the same upper receiver/lower receiver angle cut. Same as the SR25 and LMT MWS. The big question will be fit. So make sure you check fitment with pivot pin and take down pins installed.
    The Mega Lowe will come with bolt catch installed (using a threaded hex bolt with is so much nicer than hammering a pin in, and if you get the Mega Ambi lower it will have the ambi bolt catch. No real gotchas with the LPK, , just remove the bolt catch before you install mag catch/button.
    I’ve ran mine both with rifle gas and A5 system. My current AR-10 uses the UBR Gen 2 stock which uses the same length buffer as the A5.
    So as far as pitfalls. Realizing that Noveske, LMT, KAC, Mega and LaRue are compatible (for the most part) and Aero, DPMS, PSA, CMT are the other standard. You’ll need to make sure that your upper and lower receiver profiles match (DPMS High and DPMS Low). This will not impact your Noveske upper.

Gas blocks:
    On my Aero 308 I ran an adjustable gas block. My MWS does not. I prefer standard GB, sure you can tweak out some recoil impulse, but you are putting a lot more strain on that GB than an AR-15. Not sure if that’s why my first adjustable GB failed on me. Bottom line for me? Adjustable gas blocks introduce another point of failure that a mil spec GB does not have, so I don’t run any adjustable GB on any rifle I own.

Rails... yes as mentioned not the same selection as AR-15, but CMT, SLR, Mega all have really sharp options along with the the other mainstays - Troy, Midwest, Noveske and even your favorite - KAC. Although when I looked st the price I literally laughed and muttered words my mom would be ashamed to hear me speak. But it was a nice looking rail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RobertTheTexan; 09-11-18 at 02:49.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
    When searching for a lower to base a build off. and you're not made of money, are there any options out there that are reliable without being LMT pricey? I was looking at an Aero Precision M5 lower.
    Without hesitation Aero is an excellent choice. If I wanted to build and save a few bucks, I would pick up an Aero M5 upper and lower whenever and then on Veterans Day, or another holiday, jump onto Ballistic Advantage’s website and buy my barrel - one of their 416R barrel. I say wait because BA is one of those rare companies that will give you their military discount in conjunction with whatever sales they have going on. That means sometimes you can get 30-35% or more off their already decent prices. That’s how I got my tack driving. 308 barrel (416R SS) for $202 shipped to my door. You could pick up a BA BCG while you’re at it

That would give you an very accurate and very solid foundation to build upon. You would not be disappointed.

If you want a lighter barrel on a budget I think Faxon has a barrel that would fit hat description, but when I built my first 308, I wanted accuracy without stretching out past 18”. BA delivered like nobodies business.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    Without hesitation Aero is an excellent choice. If I wanted to build and save a few bucks, I would pick up an Aero M5 upper and lower whenever and then on Veterans Day, or another holiday, jump onto Ballistic Advantage’s website and buy my barrel - one of their 416R barrel. I say wait because BA is one of those rare companies that will give you their military discount in conjunction with whatever sales they have going on. That means sometimes you can get 30-35% or more off their already decent prices. That’s how I got my tack driving. 308 barrel (416R SS) for $202 shipped to my door. You could pick up a BA BCG while you’re at it

That would give you an very accurate and very solid foundation to build upon. You would not be disappointed.

If you want a lighter barrel on a budget I think Faxon has a barrel that would fit hat description, but when I built my first 308, I wanted accuracy without stretching out past 18”. BA delivered like nobodies business.
    Thanks. I checked out their web page. They also have uppers and lowers. Any insight on the BA receivers? Are they as good/better that the Aero? It says they are DPMS pattern, but doesn't specify high or low.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast