Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Building an AR10?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
    Thanks. I checked out their web page. They also have uppers and lowers. Any insight on the BA receivers? Are they as good/better that the Aero? It says they are DPMS pattern, but doesn't specify high or low.
    I am betting that Aero is the OEM for the BA receivers. Aero owns BA so i would think they make these for them. Go with what is better priced or what rollmark you like better. All the Aero barrels in their rifles/uppers are all BA

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
    Thanks. I checked out their web page. They also have uppers and lowers. Any insight on the BA receivers? Are they as good/better that the Aero? It says they are DPMS pattern, but doesn't specify high or low.
    So really it’s up to you. When I built my LR308, BA didn’t offer 308/AR10 receivers.

Also the upper is where the DPMS High and DPMS Low come into play. I’ll post a pic that should clear that up (if it isn’t already). The lip (or called tang) that is the top part of the upper just above where the charging handle seats is where the different patterns are distinguished. With the DPMS high, that lip or tang is 3/16ths of an inch thick. DPMS low, the tang is 1/8ths of an inch thick. So if you look at the BA10 upper receiver, you’ll see it’s a DPMS High. Most uppers that I would use today - DPMS patterned uppers anyway - are high. Aero, BA, CMT.

I snapped a pic of my house gun. It AR-15, but the pic will say it much better. The thickness of the area between the teeezers is what’s measured.

You probably knew this, but maybe it will help someone else.

So I’m short - if tr BA products are better priced I would jump on that. The Aero and now BA lower receivers are different from some others because their safe/semi markings are for short throw 45/60 selector switches. Like the Battle Arms, or Radian selector switches. I use those don’t works great. So if you use a stand 90 degree selector switch your forge marks and selector will not align. Just as an FYI. Those other selector switches will work just fine functionally, so don’t worry about that.

Pic below:
    Last edited by RobertTheTexan; 09-12-18 at 08:58.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Thanks guys, so is it mil spec?

Just joshing!

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by everready73 View Post
    I am betting that Aero is the OEM for the BA receivers. Aero owns BA so i would think they make these for them. Go with what is better priced or what rollmark you like better. All the Aero barrels in their rifles/uppers are all BA
    ^This.

The factory Aero uppers (M5/"AR10") come with BA barrels. This per a guy I spoke to at Aero.

I have an Aero upper (with SS BA barrel) on a 6.5 CM build that has been 100% and is <MOA gun to 600 yds (Hornady ELD-M), which is the furthest I've shot it.
    I do not run a suppressor.

Feedback Score
    Centurion Arms has .308 handguards now, too: https://www.centurionarms.com/category-s/1816.htm
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 09-14-18 at 23:27.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    I jumped... Local gun shop was giving a discount for Veterans Day so I snapped up an Aero Precision M5 Lower, and a parts kit. Probably should have just got the lower, but this way I can start in on it... Even with the discount, still cost me more for the parts kit than it would with shipping from Aero's website. Oh well, support your local gun shop. I got the lower. Most of the rest will come in the mail. Besides, "local" is relevant They are a 40 minute drive.

I'm going for the BA Hanson barrel. How do I do the thing where I get the discount for being retired Army? Didn't see anything on their web page for veteran discounts...

Also, any recommendations for a good quality BCG? I'd rather a chrome, or coated one that cleans easily. I have chrome ones in my 5.56 and .300 Blackout ARs, and love them.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Look around. There are places that will give you a discount for having served, some only do active duty. Be ready for big sales like BF, Christmas, etc. I just scored an entire M5 builder set for $340 back on Labor Day.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Figured it out... I sent an email to Ballistic Advantage with my DD214 last night. Hope I'll get approved for their military discount in time for the black Friday deals...
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    Without starting a new thread, have home built AR-10/LR 308’s reached a point of being as reliable and durable as an AR-15 built at home with quality components? Or are known makers like KAC and LMT still the only “duty dependable” options?
    I’m not mil/LE but durable and dependable are musts.

The new Centurion receivers look good and come from a company that doesn’t put out junk. The Aero Precision receivers have been out for a while. Cross Machine and Tool seems to be well thought of too. Could a “bet your life on it” 308 be built off one of these sets? I have an MWS, but would like to pick up a couple receiver sets to build for my boys.
    Last edited by Jsp10477; 11-14-18 at 20:07. Reason: Spelling
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    Centurion Arms has .308 handguards now, too: https://www.centurionarms.com/category-s/1816.htm
    May as well get a deal on it if going that route...
    https://www.rainierarms.com/centurio...a6323107bc3ba1
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast