Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Diagnose malf

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Diagnose malf

What causes this? It's happened twice in the past 1K rounds.

Happened on reload from bolt catch

Okay Surefeed loaded to 28 rounds
    Geco 55gr (Swiss)

Daniel Defense barrel
    Colt BCG
    Aero or BCM upper receiver
    VLTOR A5 kit
    LMT lower

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Do you know if it was the same mag both times?

My guess is a magazine issue, like the feed lips aren't retaining the rear portion of the cartridge properly as the bolt comes forward to strip it out of the mag, leading to the round being misaligned as it's pushed toward the chamber. However I don't have even a fraction of the malfunction-diagnosing experience of many members on this site so I'm more interested in what they have to say on the matter.
    Last edited by Circle_10; 08-25-18 at 17:38.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    Do you know if it was the same mag both times?

My guess is a magazine issue, like the feed lips aren't retaining the rear portion of the cartridge properly as the bolt comes forward to strip it out of the mag, leading to the round being misaligned as it's pushed toward the chamber. However I don't have even a fraction of the malfunction-diagnosing experience of many members on this site so I'm more interested in what they have to say on the matter.
    This, most likely.

Feedback Score
    Time to number your magazines if you haven’t already. Write down the magazine number when you have a malfunction, then plan on fixing or ditching that magazine.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    At the range when I have an obvious mag caused issue, I stick a round in it backwards and throw it in the range bag.
    Easy to keep track of.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I am guilty of not numbering these mags. I starting using this group of ten in November and they've shot up a little over 3K rounds. I've had a few double feeds, but not where the case was backed out of the ejection port.

The buffer spring is the original VLTOR and has probably 6K on it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Okay Surefeeds are generally pretty decent, probably the best GI aluminums as far as I know. You may have one or more iffy mags though from the sound of it.

You can try taking your buffer spring out of the receiver extension and measuring it to see if the length is still in spec.
    For a carbine spring it's in spec if it's between 10 1/16" and 11 1/4", unless for some reason it's different for the VLTOR. Your problem doesn't sound like anything to do with the buffer spring to me though, but after 6k rounds there's no harm in checking it.
    Last edited by Circle_10; 08-25-18 at 21:45.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Feedlips measure about .438" across with no visible defects.

This one is hard to pull bolt out of battery. I don't know if that could indicate something else.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    I've had a few double feeds, but not where the case was backed out of the ejection port.
    You say double feed, is there another round in there someplace that we (at least 'I') cant see?

Did a round fall out through the magwell when you removed the mag?

What followers are in the mags? The grey one's?
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    I've had a few double feeds, but not where the case was backed out of the ejection port.
    What do you call a double feed? If by double feed, you mean the rifle tries to feed two or more rounds from the magazine at the same time, that's a magazine problem. Toss the mag and replace it with two new ones.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast