Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Precision (lite) barrel material question.

Feedback Score

Precision (lite) barrel material question.

Hi folks long time listener first time caller. I've read through the barrel 101 thread as well as a few others. The 101 thread seems to be pretty out dated as it states that Chrome plating is the defacto standard with the new fang dangled treatments not having been proven over time. We are now 12 years beyond that thread and have a question about bore treatments and accuracy.

Stainless has been the defacto material for very accurate barrels to this day and chrome has been related to the work horse category. But with the prevalence of melonite as a barrel surface treatment, I've started seeing more precision oriented barrels being offered with this as an option. Stating 20k barrel life with the precision of stainless.

Currently I have a 16 inch BA Hanson profile barrel that has been melonited. BA states a sub moa guarantee with match ammo. My barrel shoots a 5 shot group that fits under a quarter with magtech 262 clone. I am now building a new precision oriented upper and have been looking at stainless steel barrel options. These barrels are all expensive but how much accuracy bump will I see over a 4150 melonite barrel? And lastly if I can put 5 shots under a quarter @ 100 with a 200 dollar barrel am I wrong in trying to squeeze out another 1/2 moa for double the price? Is magtech 262 clone even capable of provide a smaller group?

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I really appreciate it and know it may be long winded.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    There are quite a few variables to how a barrel is going to shoot. Taking yourself out of the equation, ammo preference and whether or not you hand load will play a big part in maximizing a barrel, and that's only part of the equation. Smarter people will be along sooner or later to chime in on this, but in the meantime would you share what barrel you are looking at?

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Criterion makes a SS barrel that is hand lapped prior to Melonite.
    Both of mine have been .75 MOA with good ammo.

The Magtech/CBC had velocity spreads of nearly 100 FPS when I chrono’d it.
    It is not MOA and under ammo.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    There are quite a few variables to how a barrel is going to shoot. Taking yourself out of the equation, ammo preference and whether or not you hand load will play a big part in maximizing a barrel, and that's only part of the equation. Smarter people will be along sooner or later to chime in on this, but in the meantime would you share what barrel you are looking at?
    Looking at Brt stainless 16 and the new to be released brt 16 mpr barrel. I'm really looking to explore their intermediate gas system. But I may have Randall from Ar15 barrels build up a kreiger for me based on what kind of information I learn. Thst being said Im not in a place right now where I can reload and I have about 2k of thst magtech ammo. My goal is to use my 556 platform to dip my feet into longer range shooting, to learn how to read the wind and make shots out to 600-800 yards before I invest into new platforms and calibers. I figure 2k of ammo is enough to decide if it's something to pursue.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Nothing has changed. With the 2 materials given an equal level of quality control in machining, the stainless steel barrel will always have the edge in accuracy potential. Simply put stainless steel barrels are easier to machine cleanly, with less potential for tool marks or chatter marks in the bore its a much better material for making an accurate barrel.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Criterion makes a SS barrel that is hand lapped prior to Melonite.
    Both of mine have been .75 MOA with good ammo.

The Magtech/CBC had velocity spreads of nearly 100 FPS when I chrono’d it.
    It is not MOA and under ammo.
    I happened to do a Google search for that ammo and found a thread here on m4 carbine for that ammo. I believe you posted 3/4 inch groups Dec of 2017 with a 18in BA Hanson barrel . Has something changed since then?

True but what about stainless that is then melonited?
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Nothing has changed. With the 2 materials given an equal level of quality control in machining, the stainless steel barrel will always have the edge in accuracy potential. Simply put stainless steel barrels are easier to machine cleanly, with less potential for tool marks or chatter marks in the bore its a much better material for making an accurate barrel.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul053 View Post
    True but what about stainless that is then melonited?

Melonite or nitride like you said is just a surface treatment that will not change the accuracy of the barrel, just harden it in whatever state it came out of after machining.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 09-10-18 at 21:37.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I happened to do a Google search for that ammo and found a thread here on m4 carbine for that ammo. I believe you posted 3/4 inch groups Dec of 2017 with a 18in BA Hanson barrel . Has something changed since then?

At longer ranges the velocity spread will have greater impact. I'm not calling it horrible ammo, but a clue to why many people who can reload go that route. It should serve you well enough to get into things.

Concerning Optimum barrels, I have one as well as a couple buddies. We've been very happy with them in their LW form, and I'm planning on grabbing a heavier one for a compact precision rig. I'll most likely go the stainless route. I took the same approach as you for getting into longer range shooting, and am getting ready to start shooting out to that 600-800 yard range. I've been shooting out to 400ish, and have really enjoyed the experience.

Feedback Score
    Hi folks long time listener first time caller. I've read through the barrel 101 thread as well as a few others. The 101 thread seems to be pretty out dated as it states that Chrome plating is the defacto standard with the new fang dangled treatments not having been proven over time. We are now 12 years beyond that thread and have a question about bore treatments and accuracy.

Stainless has been the defacto material for very accurate barrels to this day and chrome has been related to the work horse category. But with the prevalence of melonite as a barrel surface treatment, I've started seeing more precision oriented barrels being offered with this as an option. Stating 20k barrel life with the precision of stainless.

Currently I have a 16 inch BA Hanson profile barrel that has been melonited. BA states a sub moa guarantee with match ammo. My barrel shoots a 5 shot group that fits under a quarter with magtech 262 clone. I am now building a new precision oriented upper and have been looking at stainless steel barrel options. These barrels are all expensive but how much accuracy bump will I see over a 4150 melonite barrel? And lastly if I can put 5 shots under a quarter @ 100 with a 200 dollar barrel am I wrong in trying to squeeze out another 1/2 moa for double the price? Is magtech 262 clone even capable of provide a smaller group?

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I really appreciate it and know it may be long winded.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Every barrel is its own thing. I have a Cr lined barrel that will put 5 shots at .9” with “meh” “match” ammo.
    Base barrel quality and manufacture qc > treatment/coating.

If you seek value: ammo, required precision and durability all play a part.
    Spending $500 on a barrel to shoot wolf doesnt add up. If you need moa every time and feed match ammo, spending more makes sense, but paying 2x for 20% increased barrel life is counter productive.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 09-10-18 at 22:18.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Probably not an issue, but since you are mentioning light weight and stainless, I think there is a limit to how light you can go stainless when in extreme cold temperatures.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast